PDA

View Full Version : Asian Winged Bean??

BonnieBelle
January 31st, 2009, 12:11 PM
Just recieved these beautiful beans about a week ago from Baker (along with many many many other seeds, yay!).

Any tips for growing these? I've grown beans before~ is it similar, or are there any special hints that will help me?

Thank you!

GardenChic
January 31st, 2009, 01:09 PM
I was going to order those, but they are all out. :-( Good luck with growing yours. Try a suny spot with a trellis, maybe.

American_Gardener
January 31st, 2009, 01:46 PM
BB..

Here's another thread (http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?p=195461&highlight=winged+bean#post195461) that might have some tips you can use to get yours germinated. That seems to be the trickiest part to growing em. Looks like you've got one of the best locations for growing em.

You might be interested to know that the entire plant is supposed to be edible. Roots, leaves, stems, pods... everything! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_bean

Good Luck.

Dave

BonnieBelle
January 31st, 2009, 07:14 PM
BB..

Here's another thread (http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?p=195461&highlight=winged+bean#post195461) that might have some tips you can use to get yours germinated. That seems to be the trickiest part to growing em. Looks like you've got one of the best locations for growing em.

You might be interested to know that the entire plant is supposed to be edible. Roots, leaves, stems, pods... everything! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_bean

Good Luck.

Dave

Thank you very much! I'll check it out~

BonnieBelle
January 31st, 2009, 07:20 PM
Dave~

Great info & ideas from that thread! Thanks for the link~
Hopefully I'll be able to get these babies to do well...

I'll keep y'all posted!

Silentmeow
January 31st, 2009, 08:25 PM
I received my Baker's order last week and jumping the gun as I usually do this time of year I started 3 of the winged bean seeds. I scored them with a nail file first. I just checked them tonight and all have sprouted! I'm not sure what I will do with them as I can't plant in the garden for four more months. I'll keep them under the grow light and see what happens. I can't wait to see the beans! The sites mentioned were very informative, thanks.

American_Gardener
January 31st, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hey Silentmeouw..

Since the entire plant is supposed to be edible... perhaps you could see how much you can get it to grow indoors then eat the leaves. Either that or have winged bean sprouts... wouldn't be much from just 3 seeds though.

Oh.. and i figured since you got yours to sprout. I'm gonna try a few of mine now. I just filed 5 of my seeds and put them in some water to soak. Probably should go back and read that other thread now and see what i'm not doing right.

Anyways.. i've got around 5 months till i could plant out. Wonder how far along i can get em to grow if i can get these germinated.

Dave

Silentmeow
February 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM
Dave,
I also hail from the great state of MI! Lansing area. I get so anxious to see anything green and growing. I use those big pots that trees come in for the greenhouse and deck plants. When the weather's comfortable I roll them out of the house onto the deck! I'm amazed how many people just discard those marvelous containers. I only started three seeds of the beans just to see if I could actually grow the things! A couple of years ago we ate MI grown pineapples from tops I planted and I've had a passion fruit vine growing for a year now. My son's GF is from Maldives and she mailed me some of the seeds. It's the challenge! It's sunny this morning and one can just watch the snow shrink. Enjoy the day.

American_Gardener
February 1st, 2009, 09:59 AM
Well i envy those people who have greenhouses. One of these days i'm gonna get me one. I can only imagine what i could try and grow if i had one of those. But, i'm in the same boat as you.. i grow mine in all the available window space until the weather warms enough outside.. then it's taking them in and out of the house for weeks hardening them off on the deck until the weather finally stabilizes enough where the daytime and nitetime temps aren't 40 degrees apart. It's a pain.. and i would love to not have to do it... i would love to be able to start everything outdoors without even having to worry about them not having enough of a growing season to mature before frost hits again. But, we do what we have to do i guess.

I know how you feel about wasting all the marvelous containers. I save those myself. I go garbage picking around the first week in June and collect more than i could ever use in a lifetime in one day. People do seem to throw away alot of perfectly good.. reusable containers. My favorites are the flats of course.. but, there's only so much window space where i can use em. Wish i could fill every single one of em up with plants every year.

Yeah.. i'm only trying 5 seeds myself. Pretty much for the same reason. I just want to see if they'll germinate since my seeds are nearly three years old now. And if they do, i want to see how long it will take. Then i'll have a better idea when i should start the rest of the seeds.. or whether to get new ones.
These five seeds.. if they sprout.. i'm gonna attempt to grow in some of those 6 inch pots in the window sills until i can at least harvest a handfull of leaves off em to try. I heard they taste like asparagus... so i just want to see for myself. That is if they sprout. I haven't gotten that far ahead yet.

Dave

Silentmeow
February 1st, 2009, 01:54 PM
Dave,

I bought three of those large metal adjustable shelving units from Menard's or Lowe's. They hold up to 350lb. I put my starter trays on them and with the additional wheels I can move it around the house to catch the warmest place or the sunniest place. I rigged a grow light to the top of the unit. We built our greenhouse right off the kitchen. It's more like a 20x20 3 season room! The sunny days provide temps in the 80's but at night it takes on the outside temps which is not so good right now. We are still trying to create an inexpensive heating method. I was really in hopes of growing fresh tomatoes and peppers and such all year long but alas that has not happened! Good luck with your five seeds.

pepperhead212
February 1st, 2009, 02:30 PM
I grew them a few years ago, and they germinated with no problem, grew well, but didn't flower until Sept...something to do with the days getting shorter. Sort of like long day and short day onions.

American_Gardener
February 1st, 2009, 02:59 PM
SM.. sounds like you have quite the set up. I keep meaning to build me something with shelfs and lights. Something similar to what you have, but then i never get around to doing it. You shouldn't have too many problems with the peppers. I bring some of those in from out in the garden every year to overwinter indoors. Perhaps my windowsills are too cool.. but i can keep em growing, just they don't flower or produce any more fruits than what they already have on em once i bring them in. It is a good way to get a head start in the spring though.

PH212.. i grew some of these same seeds outdoors last year. They took so long to germinate i'd given up on them and replanted that spot with other pole beans. I did notice a few of the winged ones had germinated after all around the end of August when i noticed some of the small winged bean pods growing amongst the other pole beans. So, you are probably right they might not flower until later.. i'm not exactly sure when it was i spotted those. Even so, i did see some pods last year, so that gives me at least a little optimism that i can get em to produce next season. I'm sure they'd of done much better if they weren't crowded out by the other pole beans. Mine did actually die a few weeks after that time i noticed em.

Now, the trick this year will be to get them germinated again. That's why i'm trying these ones out to see if they'll germinate.. and if so how long i'll need to soak em and all that to get them growing. Then i hope they transplant well... cause i'm planning on starting em indoors this year.

Dave

zeedman
February 1st, 2009, 05:29 PM
My previous comments about winged bean were posted on the thread AG mentioned, so no need to repeat them all here. I'll just say that for those in the North, this is a difficult crop. Winged beans are daylength sensitive as a rule, and even the so called "day neutral" varieties may not be as neutral as advertised... they still seem to bloom in short days. I guess someone would need to grow them under lights - with 12 hour days - to prove one way or the other. For those in the more Southern regions, you should have better luck. I know someone from Georgia who grew seed successfully.

I have grown winged beans for several years from transplants, in spite of which, I only pick pods for a few weeks just before frost. Will be growing them just for the greens this year; they are supposed to be highly nutritious. Should they prove to be unpalatable, it will be my last year growing them.

kellygirrl
February 1st, 2009, 06:21 PM
There's a variety suited for northern gardeners, I'd love to find out if they are as "day neutral as advertised". I think Baker's was offering it last year, but I waited too long. I'm going to find out again what it was called, though I know they don't have it available now. If I start now; maybe I can find it in time for next year.:cool:

Dave, et al, regarding the pain of indoor gardening, have you looked into wintersowing yet? I can't believe I only discovered it last month. Sowing into recycled containers:) like water bottles, milk jugs, plastic take out boxes, etc (add drainage and vent holes) in the dead of winter, they start growing sometimes in the snow (fun to see photos). They may not mature sooner than healthy indoor starts (an oxymoran for the likes of me), but the plants are incredibly healthy, hardy, better off in many respects than starts or ground sown, with a higher germination rate. No electrical lights, shortage of window space, fancy starting systems, no limit to fun you can start having NOW. Winged beans may not be a candidate for ws'ing in my zone 5 in February, but tons of veggies are, and tons more perrenials. There are lots of forums and a website called I think wintersown or something. I read everything I could find online til my eyes started spinning and now I have a bunch of seeds sown in boxes outside and I feel like an idiot:D.