PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite closed restaurants to miss

ovenbird
February 15th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Hey all, If we post about the best restaurants we have visited and are no longer open, maybe someone entrepreneurial will get an inspiration.

My first is the Riverside Restaurant in Ozark MO. It had a wonderful varied menue from fried chicken to Lobster Thermador. I was a kid, about 12, and my parents ordered for us, so we got the chicken, which was very very good, and they had the absolute best corn fritters I have ever tasted!

Next is the Flame Room in downtown Cedar Rapids. They were the lower level of an old movie theater. They served great steaks and chateaubriand for two. THey taught me how beef should taste. Everything there was very good. They also had a complementary appetizer tray that came out right after your beverages, that had pickles, pate, cheese, and crackers.

Third was Devon Oyster Bar and Grille in DC. They served fabulous seafood. I had sword steak that was grilled to perfection. The salad, rice pilaf and steamed veggie medley were all perfect. They brought out all the biscuits you could eat. The baker brought them directly from the oven, on their old blackened baking sheet, and served them with tongs throughout the dining room. They were to die for light flakey biscuits I have never been able to duplicate.

So what have you got?

Emerald
February 15th, 2009, 01:50 PM
___My favorite restaurant chain that went out of business is Mr. Fables-- I long for the Mr. fabluous burger and onion rings that they served.. Those two thin patties with the cheese in the middle and the olive dressing on the top over the lettuce and tomato and onion!! YUMMY!
___The second restaurant is still around but no places left near me... Hardee's they had better chicken dinners than KFC.
___Last but not least ( but it might still be in business as I no longer live in Florida) is Tarks oyster house!! I miss the .10 cent oyster night-- raw or steamed with all the different dipping sauces or .20 cent clam night OH BOY! Great Now I want some raw oysters and they tend to be about $6 to $12 a dozen!:eek:

Zephyrbird5a-6
February 15th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I miss Arthur Treachers!!!!

Doggone, I'm old!

Train
February 15th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Ya!
I'm gonna name one none of you ever heard of.
In fact I'll name two!
Taking the oldest first it's, ROYAL CASTLE.
No, not the wanna be look a like White Castle.
ROYAL CASTLE who invented the tiny square
burger and sold them by the bakers dozen
and also were first with Birch beer.
After Royal Castle, white and all else were
just bland.
Two is the fabulous Green Derby.
No, not the Gervis Brown Derby.
The Green Derby. Gotcha again didn't I.
Heheh
The Green Derby restaurant was known world
wide for the best gumbo in the world.
This place was bought out then closed years ago.
In fact most residents of Jackson Mississippi
never even heard of the place.
Well, one resident never heard of it anyway, Heheh.
I feel sorry for y'all for never having had the pleasure
to sample either.
Okay, number three.
Sausage Haus.
This place sold 150 different kinds of sausage
from inventory and every day I sat at their bar
for lunch and had a Bavarian bratwurst sandwich
sauerkraut balls and a dark beer.
Everyday!
The Oros Cafe which served both Greek and American
cuisine. Closed in the nineties. Gr8 little place.
Train

GreenZone
February 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Changmai, a Thai restaurant the lasted a few months in Lebanon, Missouri. They were really only a so-so Thai restaurant, but the next nearest ones are in Springfield, prohibitively far from us. DW and I used to eat there whenever we got (or made) an opportunity. We both really miss that one. They've been gone almost a year but we're still in our grieving process...:(:rolleyes:

reavilh
February 15th, 2009, 08:23 PM
We had a drive-in here in town called Tomlinson's Dairy King. They had a burger call the Big T. A double burger with or without cheese, with lettuce, tomato,pickle and onion, topped with coleslaw. It was messy, but sure was good.

gardencrazy
February 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I really miss Millard's at the Summit. It was a nifty restaurant. The owners were originally from New Orleans. They used to have Cajuns night once a month. We'd go to every Cajun night. Great food! They were stumbling distance from our house too. They sold the restaurant a few years back. The restaurant that replaced it was dismal. It didn't last long. It was replaced by an overpriced restaurant. I sure miss Cajun Night.

I miss Arthur Treachers too.

Patio Princess
February 15th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I miss Arthur Treachers!!!!

Doggone, I'm old!

Then I must be old, too! :D It was the only fish I liked, and those hush puppies were to die for...man, that was good eatin'!

(Hey--it wasn't THAT long ago!)