PDA

View Full Version : saw dust in garden?

mountainboy
March 12th, 2009, 06:43 PM
1 more? next yr thought i would get load of saw dust from saw mill .an spread out in garden then come this time next yr id till up real good . would that be worth the trouble ?or of any benafit thx yall

OXLAND
March 12th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Sucks up a lot of nitrogen to decompose I heard. May need to add something to help it along.

Longtail
March 12th, 2009, 07:23 PM
get all you can and compost it for a couple years before using in a veggie garden.

Lemon Water
March 12th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Sure you can use sawdust, but I'd use it in small amounts. It does take a while to decompose, and sucks up nitrogen until it does.

I used it about two years back when I didn't have many amendments to work with. And my brother had just finished building lots of furniture so I had lots of untreated sawdust to use. I didn't see any problems, but I didn't use a huge amount of it in one area either because of the whole tying up nitrogen thing.

mountainboy
March 12th, 2009, 07:44 PM
thx yall i might get big load an put off to side of pasture an let it do its thang. thx alot yall

Imp
March 12th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Or spread it mixed in with some fresh manures to rot over the winter, to add the nitrogen level and add heat as well.

genuineimitation
March 12th, 2009, 07:50 PM
get all you can and compost it for a couple years before using in a veggie garden.

exactly.
plus, make sure it really is wood dust, and not plywood dust that might have toxic glues added..

BrianS
March 12th, 2009, 08:23 PM
There is a man in my neck of the woods that puts "green" sawdust on his garden in the middle of the Summer and he grows a jungle every year! Never done it myself but just passing on what a "neighbor" does

laynes69
March 12th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I would think the green sawdust contains more nitrogen than dry sawdust. I know a pile of fresh woodchips can heat up fairly quick.

springfever
March 12th, 2009, 10:01 PM
All I know is that I put too much sawdust on my garden and watched it die. I only used sawdust from a very old mill that was closed years ago but I just went way too far so be careful.

bobbyblackcloud
March 12th, 2009, 10:11 PM
i had really good luck burning it up then spreading about the garden depending on how or what your soil needs is the big thing i have great luck using manure that has been mixed with saw dust or wood chip bedding seems to work fine for me.l use to burn alot if wood or saw dust and mix it with chicken dung very high in nitrogen and got great results.

SpaceAge
March 12th, 2009, 11:05 PM
1 more? next yr thought i would get load of saw dust from saw mill .an spread out in garden then come this time next yr id till up real good . would that be worth the trouble ?or of any benafit thx yall

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Several things to consider ...

#1 : species of tree that sawdust originates from ...

I am The Marketing director @ Arizona Desert Mesquite ... I can tell you from PERSONAL experience ... DO NOT USE SAWDUST FROM DEATH TRAP TREES !!! :eek:

don't use sawdust from sources that are sawing heavily glued or fiberglass surfaces ( some Granite Counter-tops are VERY heavily laced with Epoxy Glues as an example )

other than that , you're fine ! :)

certain trees contain a thing called "tannin" ... it's really a nasty stuff that KILLS EVERYTHING WITHIN WATER BLEED-OFF !!! ... Like Mesquite lumber sawdust ... it LOOKS harmless , but ... don't trust it for a second !

Pine is OK , so are probably most other sawdust sources ... just realize that as they decompose , they literally act as a sponge to SUCK NITROGEN OUT OF THE SOIL !

Water with some water solluable fertilizer high in Nitrogen and you'll be fine the year you add the sawdust ( don't freak out , Miracle-Gro is OK !...:rolleyes: ) mix well with existing soil , here , no "layers" ... OK ...?

you're good-to go !

Space'

Dan Rose

Customer Support

(928) 965-1151

Our Web-Site is: http://www.azdesertmesquite.com

Our BLOG is: http://blog.azdesertmesquite.com

camochef
March 13th, 2009, 02:10 AM
Warning! sawdust from certain trees will kill such things as tomatoes. Black Walnut is very toxic. Apparantly hickory and pecans can be toxic also. I had a friend that put sawdust, supposedly from Oak trees around his apple and pear trees so he wouldn't have to mow within the drip-line and he killed every tree!
There are safer and better sources of organic matter to work into your gardens!
Camo

lorna-organic
March 13th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Sorry, Space, I have to counter. Please don't use MiracleGro. It feeds plants, it does not feed soil. It is a Monsanto product.

SpaceAge
March 13th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Sorry, Space, I have to counter. Please don't use MiracleGro. It feeds plants, it does not feed soil. It is a Monsanto product.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next Time I want to grow some "soil" I'll keep that in mind. :rolleyes:

I also don't buy into the Monsanto is the BoogeyMan concept. :eek:

If you've been organic gardening the same plots of soil for 10 years those kinds of ideas might have some merit. To a guy trying to grow vegetables the first 3 > 4 years Miracle-Gro is Great.

That's just a scientific fact.

Space'

finnteara
March 14th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Look, just use the sawdust as the GREEN layer in your compost mix. My method is dead, green, manure, soil, newspaper. Wood source is important, pine will be more acid. If you have another compost without pine sawdust, you can mix the two together to bring the PH down.

reubenT
March 15th, 2009, 12:00 AM
we used half rotten sawdust from a many years old mill site, a heavy layer for mulch, it worked fine as mulch, then tilled it in, next year the nitrogen was weak. needed a lot extra. but it's a good source of potasium and carbon. I'd use it not so heavy and get a good carbon base going, then not much later on.
In a big pile by itself it takes a good many years to soak up enough nitrogen to rot down. like a pile at an old mill site.

Uncle Buck
March 15th, 2009, 01:10 AM
My mother-in-law used to put down layers of newspaper and cover it with sawdust for mulch in the garden then in the fall, roto-till it all in to decompose over winter. The tilth in her garden was wonderful. I've used it similarly on newspaper for walkways between the beds.

strong eagle
March 15th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I have used a 3 inch layer5 of sawdust on my gardens every year for about 8 yrs now. I use older sawdust on the plant part and fresh sawdust on the pathways. Over both parts I sprinkle cottonseed or soybean meal plus wood ashes. that feeds the bacteria that then feed on the sawdust and the nitrogen is left in the surrounding soil. Last Dec. I covered the entire Asparagrass patch with a 5 inch layer of sawdust added the cottonseed meal and now it's almost all rotted and ready for the asparagrass to appear. Strong