PDA

View Full Version : Digging Dahlias?? and Forcing Paperwhites

bluelacedredhead
October 10th, 2006, 08:57 PM
:o
I have a Dahlia that was just forming a bloom when the frost hit. It was gift and it was planted too late, obviously. But at first I was going to ignore it and leave it in the ground. Then I felt guilty and figured that I should at least make the effort to overwinter it...

I forgot to ask about the proper procedure before digging the Dahlia, and the weather has turned very cold, so I just pulled it out of the ground. Great sized bulb. Definitely worth keeping.

So now what?????
Do I cut back the plant now? Or wait til it dies on it's own??
How far back?
Storage? Basement workshop has always been a good place to store seeds and hold hatching eggs. About 55F..I'm assuming that it would be a good place to save the Dahlia??

Oh, which reminds me, I have Paperwhites down there that I forced last winter...
When do I bring them upstairs to light?? And how do I rejuvenate them??

zebraman
October 10th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Hey Bluelaceredhead;I leave my Dahlia's in the ground,but I'm in LA.
Paperwhites that I force during the holidays I throw away afterwards as they don't bloom again after forcing.If you like Dahlia's check out my favorite site
www.aztecdahlias.com They sell out of Everything Really Early!-

Lavandula Girl
October 11th, 2006, 05:37 AM
Blue - store the dahlia in sand or peat, and let the top die back gradually. The bulb should be good again next spring, although the flowering may be sparse, due to the interruption this year. Never fear, it will return. The bulbs I force each year are a dicey prospect for reblooming. Like Zebraman said, some don't rebloom. I have gotten paperwhites, tulips, hyacinth and muscari to rebloom, but only in soil outside, not in another forcing situation. Of course, I may not have given them quite the right conditions. If you think you want to try reforcing your paperwhites, give them a shock of something colder that 55 degrees for a bit - like maybe in the refrigerator.

bluelacedredhead
October 11th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Great, I'll do that LG. Sands not a problem. That's what the Dahlia grew in outside all summer. It will just think it had a vacation for a day and came back home ;)

stonysoil
October 11th, 2006, 08:16 AM
hey zebraman.. ty for listing the dahlia site.. i orderd some form thier online catalog.. ive always been a fan of dahlias

zebraman
October 11th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Hey Stonysoil; Me too,and I love this place because of the selection.Don't freak out when you get them as they won't be huge clusters,but they will be after a season growing.I don't know if you looked at everything but I bought several of the Santa Claus,plus several others.-

stonysoil
October 12th, 2006, 10:51 AM
hey zebraman// i ordered about 15.. with such great selction... i ordered by impulse tried to include several differnt forms.... some of the ones i r ordered include,,,, pinelands pam.... juanita.... chilson pride..... erin ann.. wildman... and santa claus.. i rember when i was 6 yrs old as likeing dahlias.. over 40 yrs later i still do.. and really thank u for the site