PDA

View Full Version : Kluski Noodles??

bluelacedredhead
November 10th, 2006, 12:04 AM
I was just reading a Kroger Grocery ad online and saw a brand of Amish noodles that read thus: Narrow, Wide, Extra Wide, Kluski...

What is Kluski??? :o

werecat
November 10th, 2006, 12:06 AM
I was just reading a Kroger Grocery ad online and saw a brand of Amish noodles that read thus: Narrow, Wide, Extra Wide, Kluski...

What is Kluski??? :o
Its a big fat thick square sort of thing almost like a flat dumpling. Personally, I like my dumplings about like big honking motza balls. :^)

sunmad strawgirl
November 10th, 2006, 12:57 AM
Wow - learn something new every day. I'll have to add that to my new vocabulary list. It has a nice ring to it, eh?

bluelacedredhead
November 10th, 2006, 02:35 AM
What? Kluski?? Or big honkin Matzoh, LOL... Oh Lisa, we both have a way with words don't we?? :)

werecat
November 10th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Hmmmmmmm Matzoh balls... mmmmmmm.... Now I'm thinking that I may have to go to kroger and get that mana-however-you-say-it brand in the little boxes and have some matzoh ball soup this weekend....

Gary
November 10th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Amish Noodle Recipe

3 eggs
About 2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat 3 eggs until frothy. Add flour and stir until of dough texture. Knead until smooth. Turn into floured cutting board. Roll dough, turning often until thin. Let noodle dough dry for 45 minutes. Turn dough and dry 1/2 hour.
Cut into noodles size. Drop into boiling beef or chicken stock, reduce heat and cook at rolling boil about 20 minutes. Season to taste.

Other Great Amish Recipes
www.recipegoldmine.com/regionalamish/amish.html

bluelacedredhead
November 10th, 2006, 10:28 AM
As always, thanks for the recipe link Gary!

redbrick
November 10th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Blue, if you like, you can skip the rolling-out-and-cutting part, and simply drop little lumps of the dough into your broth. That's what my mom always called "rivells"

The scary part is, that's also what she called those wierd little balls of dirt and sweat that form on your arms when you're digging or weeding in the garden! :eek: We Dutch have such a way with words, don't we?

tashak
November 10th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Actually, Kluski noodles are pretty good--and they do come in noodle forms like wide egg noodles. When they turn up at the Grocery Outlet aka Canned Foods in the small city, I grab them. They taste a bit richer than other noodles, and cook up nicely and quickly, and are not matzo or dumpling things--at least not the ones I've been lucky enough to find.
I think they are sold more in the midwest than in the south or in NV or CA etc.

bluelacedredhead
November 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Andy, EWWWW.... :D
Funny you should mention the dropped kind of dumpling though, cuz that's what I thought they might be??
Apparently not always from what Werecat and Tashak say?? REgional preference obviously.

Much like a Food Network show I watched last evening..Alton Brown was on a motorcycle tour of America and stopped at a tavern in Evansville (IL?? IN?? sorry...can't remember) where Breaded, Deep Fried?? Brain Sandwiches were the specialty..I must say, that the presentation looked awesome, but you'll never ever catch me wrapping my choppers around something like that, BLECH :eek: What reminded me of this was Mr.Brown said that it was based on the influence of the German heritage in town.

redbrick
November 10th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Well, I don't think I could bring myself to try that one either!

sunmad strawgirl
November 11th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Eurghh. Brain sandwiches? I feel like I ought to appreciate the idea of it, but it just makes me think of zombies. And prions. :) And Brain Sandwiches doesn't roll off the tongue like Kluski does (or big honkin' matzoh balls, come to think of it). :)

Jeannine
November 11th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Well, here's my recipe for Kluski, a bit different from Garys, but yummy just the same!

2 cups well-drained, large cottage cheese, farmer cheese, or pot cheese
1 tbsp butter, softened to room temp.
1 tsp salt
3 eggs, seperated, plus one yolk
1 cup all purpose flour
Approx. 2 quarts water, salted

Press cheese through a sieve into a bowl. Blend in the butter, add salt, yolks, and flour. Blend well.

Beat the egg white until they are stiff and fold them into the cheese mixture.

Bring the salted water to a boil. Drop tablespoonfuls of mixture into the water and boil for about 5 minutes or until they float to the top. Test one to make sure it is throughly cooked before removing the rest of the Kluski with a slotted spoon.

Serve Kluski covered in sauteed breadcrumbs in butter!

johno
November 12th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Here's a recipe for brain sandwiches -NOT! How gross is that?! More brains - more brains...

fawnmeadow
November 12th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Gary, your recipe is basically what I make my Italian noodles from and run thru a hand crank noodle cutter. Duck eggs make an even richer dough.
Your recipe Jeannine sounds really delish too. All this talk of noodles is making me hungry, that is until Blue went and mentioned BRAINS! That is Gross! Yuck! and a few other explitives I can't print!