PDA

View Full Version : Mice eating some of my bell peppers and cucumbers...what to do?

Gort
July 17th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Someone said put hot pepper spray on the plants..but as many hit and miss showers as we get, plus humidity...it didn't work , it appears.
(My MIL told me this, and she said it works, as long as it isn't humid, rainy, and the applications only are good for maybe a few days, in good weather).

I was wondering if apple cider vinegar, applied (no watering down) onto the veggies would work(acidic tasting..)...or would it be more like the hot pepper treatments...

Do cedar chips work, if used lightly around the plants?
If so... where could I find some(I looked..mainly at the "box stores", and no luck yet).

Dramaqueen
July 17th, 2009, 01:07 PM
MINT, MINT, MINT plant mint in your beds, plant mint near you beds, plant mint all over your garden. I have dozens and dozens of mint plants all over. They are NOT invasive for me for some reason they seem slow to grow and are well contained. If not take mint sprigs and literally tie them to your plants that are being affected

PCKGRat
July 17th, 2009, 01:52 PM
OSH, if you have one around you, has a good mouse and rat killer that does not cause the pain caused my normal poisons. I don't know if it is approved for veggie gardens.

:eek: I know the person with rats is saying kill the mice and/or rat, but honestly, wild rats and mice can spread disease (even to my caged rats). They are non-stop chewers, and I am not a fan.

I don't know any nonlethal remedies, just less painful. You could also throw a cat out there.

Blanesgarden
July 17th, 2009, 10:55 PM
OSH, if you have one around you, has a good mouse and rat killer that does not cause the pain caused my normal poisons. I don't know if it is approved for veggie gardens.

:eek: I know the person with rats is saying kill the mice and/or rat, but honestly, wild rats and mice can spread disease (even to my caged rats). They are non-stop chewers, and I am not a fan.

I don't know any nonlethal remedies, just less painful. You could also throw a cat out there.

Yep, a cat.
Which will lead us back to...."Cats vs Raised Beds"
The cycle continues.
Crazy Food chain in gardening....something all the time huh Gort?:confused:

Gort
July 17th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Yep, a cat.
....something all the time huh Gort?:confused:

Yep...pretty much.
About a year or two ago.. I had a garter snake that lived in my garden, and a few cats that would sometimes look around the peppers, etc, in the p.m. for mice,etc...
those cats are deceased.
I haven't seen any snakes in awhile, and the cats we now have, on a very rare occasion, they might go near the garden(s).
I try to get them out there...but they won't jump the fence, to the garden areas.

silverseeds
July 17th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I read in the farmers almanac to soak corn seed in alcohol and throw it in a corn feild for crows to eat, once they get drunk they dont come back. maybe it will work on mice?

also as a kid my dads friend had a tenant in a aparetment he had, the guy was a slob nd had tons of mice all over, so he gave them little dishes of soda pop, I guess they cant expel gas well and they explode, problem is they exploded in the walls, lol but if these ones live outside, might be okay I guess, lol

Gort
July 17th, 2009, 11:02 PM
MINT, MINT, MINT plant mint in your beds, plant mint near you beds, plant mint all over your garden. ...

I saw peppermint plants at some stores this past Spring..and they sold out quickly.... maybe people bought the mint for their gardens?

Will any type of mint work?

thegreatgarden
July 18th, 2009, 02:10 AM
the solution is a product called repels all

klorentz
July 18th, 2009, 02:45 AM
the solution is a product called repels all

TGG is right on this.It is a good product.

Kevin

pepperhead212
July 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM
How 'bout a few snakes? Has to be big enough to eat the mice, but you'd be surprised! Good thing about them is I never heard of one eating a tomato or pepper.

capebuffalo
July 19th, 2009, 06:57 PM
gort,

i'm with the cats and snakes crowd.

but in lieu of poison and fancy gimmicks how about just setting some traps baited with peanut butter in strategic spots ?

capebuff

Gort
July 19th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all of the advice...everyone...but I found the culprits(there may be more...I will need to look daily).......Tomato Hornworms.
At first... it was just some small bites out of some bell pepper plants, and then I noticed Sunday, 2 pepper plants..almost no leaves..and some had the (beginning)peppers eaten... and the Hornworms were found.
The plants will survive..but not sure about getting any peppers before early Oct frost.
One plant had a few leaves chewed(a third plant)..and one cucumber and one bell pepper, earlier in the week, looked like mice had chewed on them.
It seemed that the Hornworms didn't care too much(?) for the cucumbers or the one type of bell pepper(maybe?).

I had seen mice 2 years ago, in the garden, near the peppers...and the cats we used to have, chased them out of there, along with a garter snake(that probably helped) we had, at the time.

Last year... no mice... but a few insect marks here and there on leaves, etc...

Anyhow... I still need to keep an eye out for all sort of bugs( have seen a few near the corn recently) and worms...etc....

Hairy Moose Knuckles
July 20th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Those glue traps works for mice in your garden. Just don't step on one when your barefoot. Ask me how I know.

Gort
July 20th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Those glue traps works for mice in your garden. Just don't step on one when your barefoot. Ask me how I know.

Yes.. glue traps...we have used those before, on occasion(indoors).

Very strong glue on those boards.

Dez Garden
July 20th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Hello Im a newbe to the forums. we have been having trouble with mice as well. The area I live in is very rural so there is no stopping all of them. The good old mouse trap works well, you just have to feed the mice to the crows. This works well for me. The crows seem to prefer the mice to my corn. I also have a lovely little mouse cat and dog. Also Chickens will kill mice in their territory from my experience. They are well fed so they seem to only eat the grass hoppers and bugs and not ravage the garden. I do have a snake that I see once in a while. A bull snake is a good choice in snakes, but they can cross with rattlers, so if their are rattlers in the area maybe choose a different snake. Im blessed to have a place where I can have livestock.

chilesprout
July 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Re glue traps:

They work well in the garden, but pull them up in the morning before the lizards come out unless you have a good spot to put them where the lizards don't go during the day. We caught a gorgeous blue-belly in one of our glue rat traps before we got out to take them up and I have felt terrible ever since!