PDA

View Full Version : blackberry question

tashak
July 18th, 2009, 12:35 PM
My blackberries on the spineless blackberry are now bright red. (I'm tempted to try one.) How long does it take for them to turn black?
Or did the company send me a raspberry instead? (I'm not sure of the difference in the leaves between blackberries and raspberries.)

cornishwoman
July 18th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I dont know much about blackberrys but I think the leaf of a raspberry is lighter in colour, also the fruit is longer and the blackberry is fatter in shape. I have made some great blackberry wine from wild ones which grow on the land.

3580Rosie
July 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM
We also grow thornless (Apache)--the fruit is bright red before it turns to black. If I recall correctly 4-5 day and the fruit should be black--just be sure it is totally black because it will be "tart" if there is still red to it. Also, this is the peak time for your birds to get involved--they will peck at the fruit and destroy it.

virraszto
July 18th, 2009, 03:07 PM
If they are black raspberries, when you pick them there is a hollow hole where they came off the stem. If they don't have the hollow hole, they are blackberries.
At least that's what I was told.

I have wild black raspberries here.

jadek
July 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Ripe berries come off very easily, with not much pressure. If you have to pull pretty hard, they are probably not ripe.

You could always taste one & see if you aren't sure; it will be pretty obvious if it's ripe or not. :)

woodman3
July 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I have already picked a little over a gallon from my bushes in my secret location. I picked them the 2nd and 3rd week in June. In my experience the window from red to black to overripe is real short. Watch your berries daily. I also agree if you pick one and it has a hole where the stem would be it is a raspberry.

Mike

blueribbontomatoes
July 19th, 2009, 08:37 PM
My wild black raspberries have been finished for a few weeks, and now is the time for the wild blackberries. Since raspberries are thorny too, you probably do have blackberries. It doesn't take long for them to go from red to black, it just seems longer when you're waiting to eat them :)

countrylife
July 19th, 2009, 09:18 PM
The thornless blackberries take longer to ripen, mine are are just now getting some to ripen lots of red ones they are not ripe.. WAIT....And they IMO are never as sweet as wild or thorned so... beware, when you taste them.. if they do not fall off in your hand they may be on the the the sour side. But again you are not drawing back bloody stumps when picking!!!!!! :)~ sugar will be your friend!!

lovetheland
December 9th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I'm interested in starting a blackberry patch. Do you have a favorite thornless? Thanks!

Garlicluvr
December 9th, 2009, 08:04 AM
lovetheland: I really like both Triple crown and Chester and they ripen at different times so planting both gives me a longer season. I planted some Quachita this spring and got a berry or two off of them, so far they seem to be a winner also its is just a little early to tell the canes are more erect and dont need much if any support. The Triple crown and chester need a little support trellis with two or three wires works good or a fence.

Jeff:)

lovetheland
December 9th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks, Jeff. I've been thinking about those but also looking for a couple of good ones that are erect and don't need much support. Noticed in starkbros they have a Prime-Jim. Wondered if anyone knows how good they are?

TennOC
December 9th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Thornless vines don't need much support FOR THE VINES. They need support because with a full load of fruit, any rain or wind will pull down the vines and they can't stand back up. They're much better off being tied up.

lovetheland
December 9th, 2009, 10:35 AM
That makes sense. Reminds me of Mom's thorny ones in the old homestead garden. She still has some I could start on my property. However she never supported hers. Been wondering if I should just get some of hers and not worry about purchasing the thornless kind.

happyhill
December 9th, 2009, 09:03 PM
If you don't give tripple crown thornless a good trellis they will tip root. They can grow 15 ft or more.
Mine needs a better trellis. They have tip rooted all over. Anyone want plants?

lovetheland
December 10th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I assume you'd recommend your triple crowns. They sound better than Mom's thorny blackberries. I'm still trying to imagine a trellis. Do you have any thoughts on the minimum height? Also, do these need full sun for best production? I might be interested in some. Still leaning a little towards shorter erect non-trellis type. Guess I'm after the best producing best tasting kind. I sure appreciate your help. Thanks!

TennOC
December 10th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Instead of a trellis, use 2 wires like grapes. One about waist-high and one at chin-height. I like the berries to be up where I can pick them easily. Wires also make pruning out the old, spent canes an easy job.

Cliff Timmons
December 10th, 2009, 10:55 AM
We have both thorned and thornless bushes.
I can tell you the ones with thorns seem to have sweeter fruit.

cyra
December 10th, 2009, 12:00 PM
If you don't give tripple crown thornless a good trellis they will tip root. They can grow 15 ft or more.
Mine needs a better trellis. They have tip rooted all over. Anyone want plants?

Would love some. I have a golden raspberry, (not thornless, sorry) Would you like to trade? Or would you simply prefer postage?

cyra
December 10th, 2009, 12:03 PM
We have both thorned and thornless bushes.
I can tell you the ones with thorns seem to have sweeter fruit.

Interesting. I wondered about that, because I've heard it elsewhere, too. It's not a noticeable difference though for jam-making, though, --just for eating out of hand, right?

cyra
December 10th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I dont know much about blackberrys but I think the leaf of a raspberry is lighter in colour, also the fruit is longer and the blackberry is fatter in shape. I have made some great blackberry wine from wild ones which grow on the land.

I agree on the leaves, but to my experience, blackberries are larger & longer, and raspberries rounder. I don't grow blackberries now, but I used to. Now I only have raspberries.

Cliff Timmons
December 10th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Interesting. I wondered about that, because I've heard it elsewhere, too. It's not a noticeable difference though for jam-making, though, --just for eating out of hand, right?

I dunno. My wife makes the jams, jellies, and butters. <Grin>
I have noticed that the thornless seem to be larger.
I guess it doesn't matter if you are going to add a bunch of sugar anyway.
I just know when I'm mowing and reach out and eat some, which ones are sweeter. <Grin>

lovetheland
December 10th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I appreciate all your comments. Now I'm leaning towards Mom's thorny plants from the old homestead. I like raw sugarless food as much as possible and they are free! I do not like to constantly get stuck though, so might try the thorny, too. Wonder if it is possible to plant both kinds in the same vicinity.

We have lots of wild raspberries on our land. I heard the difference is when you pull off the fruit a raspberry has a hole; the stem stays on the bush. Blackberries have little stems on the fruits.

Again, thanks for everyone's thoughts.

happyhill
December 10th, 2009, 10:06 PM
I had a fair harvest of tripple crown thornless this summer and for the first time ever I can say I love blackberries! It is so sweet and delicious! There weren't too many that made it out out of the garden. I have to move the whole plant because I planted it too close to another unknown variety of thornless BB that was here when I moved here. The unknown variety is very sour. Moving Triple crown will be at the top of my list this winter. It will get some good TLC.

88dblifestyle
December 14th, 2009, 04:03 AM
My blackberries on the spineless blackberry are now bright red. (I'm tempted to try one.) How long does it take for them to turn black?
Or did the company send me a raspberry instead? (I'm not sure of the difference in the leaves between blackberries and raspberries.)

I think when blackberries still in red, it is still sour..hmmm just take a few week, then later on it turns black... That's sweet..:D

Love My Garden
December 14th, 2009, 08:55 AM

In NC they take from 5-7 days to turn black....and if you are making jam make sure to add about 1/10th red..unripe they have more pectin for preserving....

Gary
December 16th, 2009, 08:54 AM
The "taste" of Blackberries brings back so many good memories of childhood. We were gifted a large container of large Blackberries this week from a friend and we have so enjoiyed them. Here is a recipe for using your blackberries now or whenever they come in season where ever you are.
Gary

Blackberry Cake

2- cups Fresh Blackberries
2- cups Sugar, Divided
1 pinch(es) Ground Cinnamon
3 cups Self-Rising Flour
2 teaspoons Lemon Instant Pudding Mix
teaspoons Salt
1 cup Butter, Softened
1 teaspoon Vanilla
4 whole Eggs At Room Temperature
1 cup Milk

Preparation Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease and lightly flour three round 8-inch cake pans and set aside. (I use baking spray with flour.)

2. Mix 1/4 cup of sugar, a pinch of cinnamon and blackberries in a bowl and set aside.

3. Combine flour, pudding mix and salt in a small mixing bowl.

4. Beat butter or margarine with a mixer at medium speed until its whipped and fluffy.

5. Add the remaining sugar (2 cups) and vanilla, beat well.

6. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

7. Add dry flour mixture and milk alternately, beating on low speed after each addition.

8. Place berries in cake pan.

9. Pour batter over the berries and lightly swirl with a spoon.

10. Lightly tap the cake pan on the counter until the batter has spread in the entire pan.

11. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

12. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cake from pans.

When cake is completely cool, stack layers and ice the cake with butter cream icing.

Desert Rat
December 17th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Gary, the cake sounds really good. I'll have to give the recipe to a lady in our area that grows blackberries. She gets about 100 1 gal. bags from her patch every year. She makes wonderful cobblers with some of hers. Thanks for sharing!