PDA

View Full Version : Alubia Beans

TastyofHasty
July 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM
ALUBIA beans? Never heard of these kind of beans before? But this lady with the recipe seems to like them?
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/carrot-dill-white-bean-salad-recipe.html

Did a quick google and found this:
http://www.ranchogordo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RG&Product_Code=ALUB01

Says they are medium sized white runner beans. AND their blurb at the bottom says
THE RANCHO GORDO-XOXOC PROJECT
These beans are the results of our two companies working together to help small farmers continue to grow their indigenous beans in Mexico, despite international trade policies that seem to discourage genetic diversity and local food traditions.

These rare beans are grown using centuries-old methods and may contain small pebbles or other natural debris.
so even though a pound of beans is $5.95, might be a good source of rare seed.

heedolsi
July 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I've not heard of or used Alubia beans before, but in a pinch, I did fill in some bare spots in my Christmas Lima patch with some I pulled from a Rancho Gordo package. They came up like gangbusters.

Since then, I've been kicking myself for cooking up all the Black Calypsos I had without thinking of saving same to plant. And Rancho Gordo's out of them now.

Next year, i guess!

Hairy Moose Knuckles
July 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I have a buddy on another board that has spent some time in Mexico. He's a bean expert and has sent me some rare specimens. I'll ask him about them.

neeld
July 20th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I actually ordered the white and black ones from Rancho Gordo to test in the garden this year. I got them in a little late, but both are up and beginning to send out runners. I'll let you know how it goes.

It's my understanding that these are runner beans (Phaseolus coccineus) and based on the seedling (cotyledons stay underground) that appears to be the case . I've heard that some runner beans are day length sensitive and might not do well up here so I only planted about 5 row feet of each.

DeanRIowa
August 25th, 2009, 12:43 PM
neeld, how dare your ALUBIA beans doing this year?

Dean

Hairy Moose Knuckles
August 25th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Where is Zeedman? I bet he would know about this bean?

ovenbird
August 25th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Dean

Yes, inquiring Iowans want to know.

That bean collection at Rancho Gordo looks very interesting.

DeanRIowa
August 25th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I was wondering, because I plan on planting some Alubia beans next season that I had brought up from Mexico. I was wondereing about if they are day length sensitive as well.

They look like a Cannellini bean to me.

Dean

neeld
August 26th, 2009, 12:19 AM

Dean

They are reaching 6 feet in height. The white seeded ones are a bright green while the black seeded ones have a very slight purplish tint on the stems and leaf margins. So far no obvious flowers. I'll check more closely in the morning to see if any buds are starting to form.

Like I said in the previous post, I planted them a bit late (around like July 10th if I recall) and I'm pretty sure a Scarlet Runner planted at the same time would be blooming by now so I'm beginning to wonder if they are going to bloom at all here in Portland.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow when I check for flowering.

DeanRIowa
August 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM
They are reaching 6 feet in height.

They are a definitely a pole bean then?

Dean

neeld
August 26th, 2009, 05:10 PM
They are a definitely a pole bean then?

Dean

I forgot my camera so no pics today but there is not much to take pictures of yet.

They are definitely a pole bean, specifically a runner bean (Phaseolus coccineus). They are growing as fast as and in the manner of a Scarlet Runner.

I checked closely today and they are in fact getting ready to flower. They have the first flower clusters forming but none are open as of yet so I have no idea what color they will be.

neeld
August 31st, 2009, 08:48 PM
Just an summary and update for those interested.

I planted beans I ordered from Rancho Gordo Ayocote Negro (Black Runner Bean) (http://www.ranchogordo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RG&Product_Code=AYONEG01&Category_Code=DHAHB4) and Alubia Criollo (White Runner) Beans (http://www.ranchogordo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RG&Product_Code=ALUB01&Category_Code=DHAHB4).

Both are in fact runner beans Phaseolus coccineus
Both are pole varieties that are growing just like a Scarlet Runner would
The black seeded Ayocote Negro has a slight tinge of purple on stems and leaves and scarlet flowers
The white seeded Alubia Criollo has light green foliage and white flowers
Both seem to grow and flower just fine here in Portland OR at 45 N