PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple Flavored Melon

DeanRIowa
July 28th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I have read that there are melons, which are pineapple flavored, but the articles never mention any varieties.

Does anyone know any varieties that are pineapple flavored?

I would like to grow some next season.

thanks,
Dean

organicbaby
July 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Dean, I came up w/ this while waiting for pain meds to kick in:

Ananas Melon (AKA Ananas D'Amerique a Chair Verte Melon, Pineapple Melon)
Origin: France or the United States
Item #: MELON005
The Ananas Melon, known in France as "Ananas D'Amerique a Chair Verte" is one of the most popular heirloom melons grown in the United States today and is also widely grown in the Middle East. The word "Ananas", is present both in the French and Italian languages (which leads to the confusion of some seed sellers who list Ananas as an Italian Melon variety) - both literally translate to mean "Pineapple" in English, so another common name for this variety is Pineapple Melon. Strangely enough, the French name of this variety "Ananas D'Amerique a Chair Verte", literally translates to mean "Green Fleshed Pineapple from America", so its "French" origin must be questioned as it does not seem reasonable that a French melon should be known as American in France.

What is known however, is that the Ananas Melon was mentioned in M. M. Vilmorin-Andrieux's book "The Vegetable Garden" published in 1885. Vilmorin's book presents a colored plate depicting the variety. Reportedly, Thomas Jefferson was growing the Ananas Melon at his estate Monticello in 1794, while American seed companies began offering the variety commercially as early as 1824. In the years since, this wonderful melon variety became rare, but was presumedly re-discovered in a French seed bank.

The Ananas Melon features a light green colored flesh. The interior is firm, sweet to the taste and is highly perfumed. The scent of the Ananas Melon is reminiscent of a ripe pineapple, hence its name "Ananas" or Pineapple Melon. Each melon is approximately 5 pounds in weight and has an oval shape with a netted skin. The melons are produced on a very vigorous large vine and can be grown on trellises or fences.

Ananas Melons ripen very quickly in most climates, maturing in about 90 days and are steady and reliable producers, but the variety has never enjoyed any popularity in the commercial melon market due to their short shelf life which renders them unsuitable for shipping. Due to their excellent taste and productivity however, the variety is very favored by market gardeners who sell their crops to the public through grower's markets or roadside stands.

This came from a website www.vegetableseed.net AKA Anioleka Seeds USA. Under NO circumstances order anything from these people. I did so bak in the fall. They take your money and have absolutely NO intention of ever sending you what you ordered. I did get my money back but had to fight to do so. Should have checked Daves' garden watchdog first (and always will in the future)

It seems BC offers them but are out of stock,
http://rareseeds.com/seeds/Melons-American/Ananas-D-Amerique-A-Chair-Verte-Green-Fleshed-Pineapple

Hope this helps,
OB

spiritbear
July 28th, 2009, 01:49 PM
I've grown the Ananas Melon and have had good luck with it. Very tasty with an evident pineapple flavor. :)

DeanRIowa
July 28th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Seems like I am going to have to try the "Ananas Melon" next year. Thank you both for the suggestion.

I was planning on ordering from Sandhill Preservation seeds next year and currently they list the Ananas Melon, so I hope they list it next year as well.

Thanks OB for the heads up on www.vegetableseed.net.

Dean

Desert Rat
July 28th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I just found these seeds at the Landreth Seed Co. I've only ordered from them one time but got what I asked for in just a few days. These sound really good, guess I'll have to order some.

razyrsharpe
July 29th, 2014, 08:11 PM
does anyone know the avg. size of this melon? we have grown them this season for the first time and have picked two that are softball sized. is this avg or do they get bigger? thanks!

p14175
July 30th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Newbie here. I am in my second year of gardening and having a lot of fun.

I grew Ananas D'Amerique a Chair Verte melon this summer, planted at the beginning of May, harvested in July. The melons produced were about 5" dia and weighed a little less than a 1/2 lb each. I think they actually get a little bigger than that, but the AZ desert climate can be hard on plants.

It's a tough little melon. It handled 105+F temps, 8+ hours of full sun, and low humidity with just a little bit of wilting in the afternoon. Only 1/2 gallon olla pots filled once a day were used.

Imp
July 31st, 2014, 09:51 AM
Newbie here. I am in my second year of gardening and having a lot of fun.

I grew Ananas D'Amerique a Chair Verte melon this summer, planted at the beginning of May, harvested in July. The melons produced were about 5" dia and weighed a little less than a 1/2 lb each. I think they actually get a little bigger than that, but the AZ desert climate can be hard on plants.

It's a tough little melon. It handled 105+F temps, 8+ hours of full sun, and low humidity with just a little bit of wilting in the afternoon. Only 1/2 gallon olla pots filled once a day were used.

First, welcome to the boards!

Second, some good information on the melons- I like the idea of the olla pots, too, how often / how long have you used olla pots?

p14175
July 31st, 2014, 02:27 PM
First, welcome to the boards!

Second, some good information on the melons- I like the idea of the olla pots, too, how often / how long have you used olla pots?

I have used olla pots for about a year. So far it's been the best and most economical watering method I have tried. I think the plants like it better too.