PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Ground Squirrel Deathtraps?

lumina
August 3rd, 2009, 09:04 PM
Anyone have a good cheap way to trap & kill ground squirrels? We don't want to use the shot gun or rifle. :) I know it would <---->-off the neighbors. And I don't have the money for a pellet gun right now. :(
They are decimating my garden, I was willing to share, until they started killing the plants too, and running off w/ ALL the tomatoes.

I'm looking for designs. :)

Thanks in advance (even if they're smart-arse remarks).

lorna-organic
August 3rd, 2009, 11:03 PM
My cat killed the two ground squirrels who moved onto my property this year.

EdlinUser
August 3rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
WalMart has rat traps for $1.00. They look like big mouse traps.

lumina
August 3rd, 2009, 11:21 PM
They're bigger than any rat I've ever seen. Wonder if that would work - yuck. :)

Thanks for the replies. My cat died (not ready for a new one), my beagle tries to get them, but evidently they outsmart her.

axhandle
August 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM
They're bigger than any rat I've ever seen. Wonder if that would work - yuck. :)

Thanks for the replies. My cat died (not ready for a new one), my beagle tries to get them, but evidently they outsmart her.

Are you sure these are ground squirrels?

Ax

lumina
August 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Yes.

hikingonthru
August 4th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Try setting out rat poison for them. A trick my dad taught me about rat traps is to wrap a bit of bacon around the trigger (aka - the dog - the part you hold the latch onto) and smear it with peanut butter. They lick at the peanut butter and pull at the stretchy old bacon making it more likely they will be there to see the bar flip on them.

lumina
August 4th, 2009, 10:40 PM
No thanks to the poison, but am heading to town for traps tomorrow. :(

PCKGRat
August 4th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I saw this post and thought it was going to say: "Homemade Ground Squirrel Sausage" or something :D

I bought a Have a Hart trap. I have caught three squirrels (two at once). They are at Lowes or OSH or you might find one on Craigslist.

Good luck.

lumina
August 4th, 2009, 11:50 PM
In certain places it's illegal to relocate rodents - not too sure about here...

SpaceAge
August 5th, 2009, 01:33 AM
In certain places it's illegal to relocate rodents - not too sure about here...

Re-locate them to the closest canal / river for 10 minutes ... :eek::rolleyes:

CountryKitty
August 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Anyone have a good cheap way to trap & kill ground squirrels?

Borrow a 100% organic dachshund. Better yet, borrow a pair of them. Preferably nice energetic yearlings.

axhandle
August 5th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Anyone have a good cheap way to trap & kill ground squirrels? We don't want to use the shot gun or rifle. :) I know it would <---->-off the neighbors. And I don't have the money for a pellet gun right now. :(
They are decimating my garden, I was willing to share, until they started killing the plants too, and running off w/ ALL the tomatoes.

I'm looking for designs. :)

Thanks in advance (even if they're smart-arse remarks).

If you have a .22 get some ammo called Caliberi, the only thing you hear is the firing pin fall.
Cats love rats!
or a Havehart trap, be careful when you relese them, they head for the nearest safe haven, sometimes up your pants leg.
Hope this helps--Ax

lumina
September 27th, 2009, 02:34 PM
WalMart has rat traps for $1.00. They look like big mouse traps.

Okay, I bought some of these rat traps. Either they are outsmarting the traps, or something else is. The traps have been triggered, but the food still there. ??

I'm at my wits end. We just fenced the garden (w/ materials left by the previous owner, think I'm going to have to put some net over the top to really keep the deer out). But, I can't shake these ground squirrels. :(

I think it's going to be a pellet gun. *sigh*

Any OTHER ideas?

lumina
September 27th, 2009, 02:36 PM
What size pellet gun do I need? :)

gardentoad
September 27th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Okay, I bought some of these rat traps. Either they are outsmarting the traps, or something else is. The traps have been triggered, but the food still there. ??

I'm at my wits end. We just fenced the garden (w/ materials left by the previous owner, think I'm going to have to put some net over the top to really keep the deer out). But, I can't shake these ground squirrels. :(

I think it's going to be a pellet gun. *sigh*

Any OTHER ideas?

Tie a walnut (shelled) to the trigger of the trap with some fine thread. It's harder to get the bait off that way and they should spring the trap. My hubby did that in my mom's basement when she has a red squirrel problem.

kefirmaven
September 27th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I saw a cat in my yard trying to get a squirrel. I'm going to encourage more cats to come in the yard by feeding them. With me being in town, I can't take out my pellet rifle and pick them off that way. There aren't any ordinances against sling shots.

lumina
September 28th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Tie a walnut (shelled) to the trigger of the trap with some fine thread. It's harder to get the bait off that way and they should spring the trap. My hubby did that in my mom's basement when she has a red squirrel problem.

Thanks! I will try that.

Robby
September 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
What size pellet gun do I need? :)

The caliber is .177 on the pellet. I have an RWS. It's as nice of a rifle as any I own. They make less expensive ones.

We have had situations like yours. Bury them in your yard and plant some wildflowers over them.;)

We call ours Squirrel hill. :)

Sometimes without predators Mother Nature will get out of balance. You'll be fine.

lumina
September 28th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks, I just went to check them out on Amazon. Had no clue you could buy them online. :)

spud
September 28th, 2009, 05:20 PM
I have a little giant live trap for mice and might also work for ground squirrels. If not big enough, they might one a little bigger. I also have used conibear 110 traps baited with apples for small bunnies, go to outdoor retailer and see what they have. I like traps, they work 24/7 and when put in hidden spots ya don't have to worry about neighbors knowing.

stone
September 29th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I use a squirrel havahart trap to catch rats, drown them and let the cat have them. I'm afraid to use a rat trap, afraid of injuring the cat... I bait the trap with pecans!

lumina
October 7th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Well, I tied walnuts to the traps. They got the walnuts, triggered the traps and yet NO ONE was caught.
Little brats. Evidently I have smart ground squirrels.

seethroughcanoe
October 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM
just make a figure 4 deadfall you need 3 dried sticks about the thickness of a pencil about a 3ft board and a cinder block

http://religion.medicalwisdom.com/end-of-days-survival/foods/figure-4-deadfall.htm

search figure 4 deadfall for a plenty of instructions

the weight of a cinder block is enough to crush a chippy monk flat

i use a 3ft 2x8 and put the cinder block on the top set the figure 4 trap so the chipmunk has to stand up a little bit to grab the bait
make sure though the deadfall falls onto some concrete or something about the same hardness if not you'll just squish the munk into the dirt and he will get away

you can also take a 3ft log about 8inches across and split it down the middle and set the deadfall between the two pieces

lumina
October 8th, 2009, 04:41 PM
They're ground squirrels, quite a bit bigger than chipmunks. I think I'm getting a pellet gun. :)
Oh the shame.....

happygardener
October 13th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Smallest Havahart trap. I have trapped 14 of them this summer. Relocated them 10 - 50 miles away. Baited trap with peanuts. Cat caught one and killed it. Cats are on patrol at night. Hope this helps. I am also in town. Oh! Be sure and locate the nuts in the center of the steel plate that triggers the doors. If on the side they will carefully work it out. They got a few tomatoes but not the main ones. Good Luck!!

seethroughcanoe
October 14th, 2009, 03:21 AM
down here chipmunks = ground squirrels

im guessing your talking about a gopher then?

yea a pellet gun is the quickest got to be a good shot to kill it before it can make it into its hole

just to help get yourself one of those super cheap tasco scopes for it like a 1x10
for less than $10

a good pellet gun and scope make a great combo for squirrel hunting if you want to put a little sport back into it and being able to actually eat a squirrel (im talking about a grey squirrel here) after shooting it. opposed to it getting blasted with a 20gauge

some of the best times ive had hunting are with a pellet gun plus pellets are relatively cheap

Susie
October 14th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Would rat glue work? I smear rat glue in a circle on to a piece of cardboard and then put peanut butter in the middle. The rats stick and it's not very nice to see, but all it takes is one whack with a big stick and they're dead.

lumina
October 14th, 2009, 09:57 AM
We bought one with a scope. Uh, I've come close, hubby has come close, but I have to say, they are FAST lil buggers. :)

California Ground Squirrel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Ground_Squirrel
Chipmunk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipmunk

Train
October 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM
YA
Cats around here sit and watch
the squirrels go by.
Often they just lie down and
allow them every freedom.
Worthless animal.
Train

GunnarSK
October 25th, 2009, 03:28 PM
just make a figure 4 deadfall you need 3 dried sticks about the thickness of a pencil about a 3ft board and a cinder block

http://religion.medicalwisdom.com/end-of-days-survival/foods/figure-4-deadfall.htm

search figure 4 deadfall for a plenty of instructions

the weight of a cinder block is enough to crush a chippy monk flat

i use a 3ft 2x8 and put the cinder block on the top set the figure 4 trap so the chipmunk has to stand up a little bit to grab the bait
make sure though the deadfall falls onto some concrete or something about the same hardness if not you'll just squish the munk into the dirt and he will get away

you can also take a 3ft log about 8inches across and split it down the middle and set the deadfall between the two pieces

I used to make my own "figure 4 deathfalls" for mice when I was a kid. They had the additional advantage, that you could clearly hear when they went off in the attic above my parents' home. I didn't know then that they had a name, and I got the design from an archeological magazine, effectively copying a mouse trap that was more than 1000 years old. They worked like a charm and were much better than any modern store bought traps. I guess you could vary the size of the trap and the cinder block/brick depending on the size of your prey.

tuk50
December 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I've got two foolproof vermin traps... Taters (dachshund) and Spud (jack russell terrier) what a team!

stone
December 16th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I have armadillo traps... I take 8 inch pvc pipe with a cap on the end... cut to 2 or 3 foot long, bury at an steep enough angle that the critter doesn't climb back out... caught 3 voles the other day... was very happy.

Gunnerbill
December 19th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I'd second the Dachshund and the Jack Russell Terrorist. Otherwise, try the Havaheart traps, bait them with some fruit or nuts. You can either relocate them or give them swimming lessons inside the cage by immersing it into a 5 gal. bucket of water.

Fiddler
December 28th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Several good solutions have already been offered here, but I'll chime in anyway.
You never said whether or not you already own a .22 rifle. If so, a round called a CB cap will allow you to shoot without alerting the neighbors. Just be careful of ricochets. Wal-Mart sells these bullets.
"Conibear" traps are another answer. Here's the guy who sells me my traps: http://petersonfurs.com/traps.htm
He's a heck of a nice guy with the best prices, fast delivery, and service. Just buy a couple of his cheapest #110 body-gripper traps and set them in the entrance to the burrows. You don't even need to bait them. The squirrels will trip them while trying to push their way past the trigger.

lumina
December 28th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Nope, no .22. A few others though and may try again in the spring.

We haven't seen them recently. Probably will in the spring/early summer again.

I would like to buy some of these traps, but they don't show a pic. ??

Fiddler
December 29th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Nope, no .22. A few others though and may try again in the spring.

We haven't seen them recently. Probably will in the spring/early summer again.

I would like to buy some of these traps, but they don't show a pic. ??
Here's what they look like:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://icwdm.org/Images/equipment/Bodygrip/110conibear.jpg&imgrefurl=http://icwdm.org/ControlMethods/traps.asp&usg=__a4oeTVo6NZ-Y1Z8g7Glli-TlnMg=&h=302&w=400&sz=34&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=kK_w8I7uVim5mM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dconibear%2Bbody%2Bgrip%2Btrap%26hl%3D en%26rlz%3D1T4RNWN_enUS218US219%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1
Also, there's a safe and easy way to set these traps by taking a length of rope, forming a loop to place your foot through, and passing the rope through the spring, pulling the rope to compress the spring while you set the trigger.
If you buy any of these traps, I'll search around for the link demonstrating this trap-setting technique and post it for you.

lj in ny
February 8th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I say get another dog. I had one dog and he'd chase squirrels (tree squirrels) but would rarely catch them. I just got another dog a month ago and between the two of them-those squirrels are terrified to come in the yard. A Jack Russell or Dachshund should do the trick and will keep the Beagle company!

maggie c
February 9th, 2010, 09:17 PM
Just an idea for spring if the traps aren't working and the shooting isn't working either - how about set up a squirrel buffet somewhere else in the yard, away from the garden, with squirrel feeders, corn, etc? Maybe if you feed 'em full of easy to get other stuff, they'll leave the garden alone. Just a thought...