PDA

View Full Version : what is the best pumkin for seeds (Roasting)

gixxerific
October 6th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I have never made anything from pumpkins except compost and roasted seeds..... Mmmmmmm roasted pumpkin seeds!!!!

Are there certain varieties that have tons of tasty seeds in them. Some of them just don't have very many at all. My pumpkins didn't do squat this year. I just bought 4 from Lowe's cut 'em in half got the seeds roasted them and only came up with about 2-3 inches of seeds in a gallon freezer bag.

GloriousMusicbox
October 6th, 2009, 08:34 PM
You can try this kind. http://rareseeds.com/seeds/Squash-Winter/Lady-Godiva I ordered it from Baker Creek this year, and I will soon be trying the seeds for myself. I couldn't hand pollinate them for seed very well - every one I tried, the fruit rotted and fell off soon afterward. :( Oh well, I'll try again next year. :)

GloriousMusicbox
October 6th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Here is another place to get it. They are not out of stock currently. http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=1458%28OG%29

w8in4dave
October 6th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Hey .. Thats what I can do with all those lil pumpkins I have out there... I gave all the big ones away :D

Izzy
October 8th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Austrian oil seed pumpkins - Styrian - are hulless and grown for their seeds. I think Lady Godiva is related somehow, but don't know for sure. From what I've read, LG is semi-hulless. I've been looking for a source for Styrian that ships to the USA and without paypal - another story. In the meantime I am growing Kamo Kamo - also a hulless seed used for roasting in New Zealand, Pipian from Tuxpan from South America - interesting hull on it, but I peeled one off to take a look at the seed kernel - and, yes, it looks exactly like pepitas I buy at the store - large green kernels - will just have to deal with the hulls, but anticipate good quality tasting seeds for roasting. Mongogo du Guatamala - don't remember exactly what it was that convinced me to order this one - but I think this one is also a good one (potentially). From what I recall, it has similar characteristics to Kamo Kamo.

edit: I should add, last year, we purchased large cinderella pumpkins and they made good roasted seeds if you don't mind the hulls.

blueribbontomatoes
October 9th, 2009, 08:31 AM
The best tasting pumpkin seeds I've eaten have come from Luminas. I don't mind the hulls, just a little more fiber :) That's also one of the best eating pumpkins. Jack o lantern type pumpkins have such a skimpy seed, I don't eat them, but I do give them to the dogs (no salt added.)

lorna-organic
October 9th, 2009, 08:45 AM
You can put unwanted pumpkin and squash seeds out for the birds. They will pick them out of the membrane and eat them.

w8in4dave
October 9th, 2009, 08:51 AM
You can put unwanted pumpkin and squash seeds out for the birds. They will pick them out of the membrane and eat them.

Good idea Lorna :D I have some black squirrels up north bet they would eat them If I don't ........

gixxerific
October 9th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Wow! thanks for all the replies, notes have been taken. I have a Seed Savers catolog here it's been highlighted.

About the hulls, not sure if that matters to me or not?:confused: I'm 40 years old and have roasted the seed from store bought, farm bought, self raised pumpkins my whole life, thanks to my mom for the idea. I have no idea how many or what the variety of most of these were. Just cut them open and start roasting.:D

But again thanks for the ideas.

Dono

gixxerific
October 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
To quote Seed Savers;

"Lady Godiva is specifically grown for it's hulless seeds. Very unique. Seeds are nutritious and rich in protein, great roasted or raw. Flesh is not suitable for eating, but they make great jack-o-lanterns. Up to 3 ounces of seeds per fruit."

This one is a definite, have to check out the others as well.

Styrian also looks to be a winner.

Again thanks.

GloriousMusicbox
October 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
You are very welcome! I'll have to try some of those pumpkin seeds from my garden soon! :D

SherylGallant
October 10th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I would like to grow lady gadiva pumpkins for the seeds. Does anyone grow them and have seeds they would be willing to trade?

Thanks,
Sheryl

evilsunflower
October 11th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Burpee has another hullless seeded pumpkin called Triple Treat which I have grown the past two years and really like. The flesh isn't exceptionally tasty, but acceptable for cooking and the pumpkins make cute little jack-o-lanterns. They don't get huge like field pumpkins, but I always get lots of tasty seeds out of them. They do have a tendency to sprout inside the pumpkin (which I think is problematic in all hullless seed pumpkins) so you might want to harvest them a bit earlier than you would an ordinary pumpkin.

http://www.burpee.com/product/vegetables/pumpkins/pumpkin+triple+treat+-+%281+packet%29.do

gixxerific
October 12th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks evil tripple treat one sounds like a keeper as well.

redneckplanter
October 12th, 2009, 05:56 PM
i think bakers has one called xtop that is supposed to be good too?

WM Amateur
October 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Am actually a pretty big fan of roasted acorn squash seeds. They are smaller and I think come out a bit crunchier. For topping salads or similar uses, I actually like them better than pumpkin seeds.

Was also pretty happy with roasted cheese squash seeds.

Was not a big fan of boston marrow squash seeds. The squash was great, but the seeds are too big and too much hull, and really don't take well to overcooking. Might be OK in a mole of something along those lines, but not so good for fresh eating.

If they have to be pumpkin seeds, I also like long pie pumpkin seeds roasted.

Hope this helps.

Izzy
October 14th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Finally found my notes on pumpkin seeds - here is another - hulless variety related to Styrian: Kakai (heirloom) - available from Johnny's seeds. I was a little reluctant to order from Johnny's earlier this spring when I was looking at my options because these are bush-type; most info I could find on Kakai indicates it is a vining type.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?category=1&subcategory=599&item=2860

A nice trial comparing Kakai and Snack Jack growth and seed production here (pdf):

http://www.agbio.ca/Docs/TechnicalBulletins09/E2009-38%20Pumpkin%202009ms%20jm.pdf

IIRC, Lady Godiva has a reduced hull similar to Snack Jack as shown in the trial photos, but I don't have personal experience w/growing any of these yet.

Ajla
November 24th, 2009, 12:21 PM
So, since my Red Kuri was so full of seeds, I decided to roast them, but they are so hard to crack, that I might offer them to the mice! I'll have to try Triple Treat next year!