PDA

View Full Version : How many beans do you get?

Show-Me-Girl
February 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM
OK, I realize lots of stuff weather, pests, variety, etc can affect the answer to this question, but speaking in generalities. . . . . . How much/many green beans do you get per an "average" bush-type plant? I know approx how many cans of gbeans I want to have put up at the end of the year and I read somewhere that it takes approx 1lb beans per pint jar, but I have no way to translate that into an approx number of plants to plan on putting out. Does 1 average plant give you 1 lb of beans?
Your past experiences would be helpful, I've never even grown gbeans (personally don't like them) but my family eats lots of them.

Thanks in advance
Gail

BTW any varieties I should def try or def avoid would also be helpful.

Blanesgarden
February 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM
If youve never grown them before....Start off with a simple Blue Lake Bush variety.
Plant a nice 50 ft row. Space them about 18 inches apart.
If you have room....
Plant another 50 ft row, 2-3 weeks later.
Repeat this again, and again, So you will have several rows at different stages of growth.
Im sure you know, this is called succesion planting.

This way, your family will have Beans all summer long.
Ask away, Idiggers love the Beans!;)

TennOC
February 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM
18 inches apart?

Emerald
February 11th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Don't forget pole beans- a 50 foot row(my fencing is 6 foot tall) planted about 2 to 3 inches apart will give you more green beans than a family of 3 could eat and can/freeze, plus any left of the vine can be used as dry beans for soup or bean dip!:D
I have to say that Cherokee Trail of Tears is an outstanding performer for me in MI, as is purple podded pole. There is the old standby of Kentucky wonder and there is even a Blue lake pole type. But I have to say, that for me the Blue Lake pole was a huge Japanese Beetle magnet. But I can't say if it is anywhere else.

Jackie-T
February 11th, 2010, 08:43 AM
I plant mine at 3 inches. Personaly if you are a little short on space go with pole beans. A LOT of production in a small area. I like not having to bend over to pick them. My favorites are purple pod pole good production,easy to see, no strings,or rarely any strings. As for how much you get you are right it is variable but The havemore Plan book recomends a 50 foot row for 5 people who eat beans. and it stated the harvest would be 30 quarts for pole bean and 20 quarts for bush beans. Personaly I thought I got more like 4 bushels of pole beans for a 50 foot row.

Longtail
February 11th, 2010, 08:45 AM
18"s ? More common would be 4 ".
I had 2 rows of 75' Blue Lake make over 4 bbl. i know it was more because we canned 1 bbl and sold 3 then made about 2 more pickings. Right next to them was a doubkle row of contender which did not make that heavy a yield and the beans werent as nice either. Our earliest beans did best with later beans suffering from excessive moisture. A bbl of fresh picked beans will not make as many pints as you may assume once they are ended, snapped, and prepped then packed into jars.

Michelle8
February 11th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I planted Tenderette bush b/c I didn't have a trellis for the beans to climb at the church garden.

The bush beans are harder on the back, but if you have younguns they can pick them:D

The church garden was only 25' wide, so I planted 3 rows. The rows were about 18" apart and the seeds were planted about 4-6" apart.

At the home garden I planted runner beans. I planted them 4" apart.

Can't tell you how many beans per plant...sorry.

I planted 80' of beans and canned 60 pints, gave alot away, and wound up throwing way quite a bit...they had stayed in the outside refrig and I forgot them:o

Emerald
February 11th, 2010, 10:28 AM
LOL The first year I grew purple podded pole beans I had over 50 feet of pole beans-- I froze and ate and gave away at least 6 to 8 gallon freezer bags full as I could get them to friends and neighbors and still ended up with a couple of quart jars of the dry beans that fall! Now I stagger my plantings of beans and once the second planting starts producing, I let the first set beans for soup- and so on thru the summer.

Blanesgarden
February 11th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Yea 18 inches apart.
I guess I should have mentioned after thinning.
But I hate to thin.

We can talk pole beans, but the poster wants to know about Bush Beans.

Jackie-T
February 12th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Just for ha has try planting you bush beans 4 inches apart. I do and I do NOT thin beans I plant as far apart as i want them to grow.

Gardener5
February 12th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Like over have said I plant mine about three inches apart, I try to use up every amount od space I can plus it helps keeps down weeds but I usually mulch none the less.

Karl M
February 12th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I plant bush beans about 5-6 inches apart in all directions in a wide row and don't thin. They grow well. Pole beans I plant about 4 inches apart and don't thin. One bean per hole.

LuvsToPlant
February 12th, 2010, 10:29 AM
How much/many green beans do you get per an "average" bush-type plant?

Show me girl ....

To answer the original posters question..
To find the answer...I refered to a book I have used over the years for the very same question.

YIELD for a 25 ft. row spaced at 4" apart
would be 6-8 lb. for bush bean.
Does 1 average plant give you 1 lb of beans?
That's a high average of approx. 1/4-1/2 lb per plant..(If you keep picking)

I read somewhere that it takes approx 1lb beans per pint jar
I find the average is about 3 lbs+ picked per 1 qt. canning jar

Hope that helps
:)

RozieDozie
February 12th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I usually have good luck with germination, so I plant bush beans 4" apart.

We kept really good records at one time, and the average yield per bush bean (Blue Lake or similar) was a little less than 1/2 lb. per plant, under ideal conditions. I'd count on a little less than that, though.

We canned pickled beans for market and allowed 1 lb. beans per pint jar or 2 lbs. per quart.

We didn't pick bush beans off the plants, we harvested the entire plant and picked and pickled/canned all at once. Don't know about where you live, but we always planted several bush crops in 2-3 week intervals to cut down on the labor of constanty picking and processing beans. But that might not work for you.

LuvsToPlant
February 12th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Rozie..
I think we are on the wave length
...must be right info.

florin
February 12th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I plant my bush beans about 3 to 4 inches apart in 3 25ft rows. I would fill a 5 gal bucket at each picking. I had great production and no weeds. I also lay cardboard down between my rows. I also plant my purple hulls just as close and have good results. I also don't bend over to pick. I have a heavy duty garden seat with wheels so I can just push myself down the row while picking. http://tinyurl.com/yavh8ac

Show-Me-Girl
February 12th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Wow, thanks for all the replys. I was just thinking I wanted to go with bush instead of pole beans bc I thought the bush set their beans more or less all at the same time and the pole was more staggered out. I thought it might be easier for me to focus on tons of canning all at once instead of having to spread it out more.

TennOC
February 12th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Bush beans are sometimes a little earlier, but you will probably have to pick them several times or lose a lot of beans. Best thing is to pick a variety that looks good to you, plant them and take lots of notes. Good luck in 2010!

LuvsToPlant
February 13th, 2010, 05:33 AM
I agree... You have to keep picking ( I do every 2-3 days) as they get to the right length.
If not, they will get to big and tough for eating and go to seed...which tells the plant to stop producing.

Tip: Bush beans like Tenn said ...is earlier.
but has a shorter harvesting period than pole.
I like to plant every week or two to continue harvesting.

Pole on the other hand ....only needs to be planted once
during the growing season.
You can yield 10-20 lbs. per 25 ft. row.

I like both but the "bending over" and picking off bush can get to you.

RozieDozie
February 13th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Rozie..
I think we are on the wave length
...must be right info.

LOL! I didn't read your post first, Luvs before I started typing. Yup; we agree. :)

Show me, Kentucky Wonders are a great pole bean that hold well up to canning.
They are prolific producers, too. It's an old fashioned bean and I plant them every year. If you get tired of picking them, leave them on the vine and they will produce a nice dried bean for you.

older than dirt
February 13th, 2010, 08:30 PM
If youve never grown them before....Start off with a simple Blue Lake Bush variety.
Plant a nice 50 ft row. Space them about 18 inches apart.
If you have room....
Plant another 50 ft row, 2-3 weeks later.
Repeat this again, and again, So you will have several rows at different stages of growth.
Im sure you know, this is called succesion planting.

This way, your family will have Beans all summer long.
Ask away, Idiggers love the Beans!;)

To show you how deferently people do things I would suggest --top crop -- & plant then 2 or 3 inches apart . Other than that we agree :-) Two 50 ft rows produce all the beans my family can eat for a year.

ultralitefarmer
February 13th, 2010, 08:58 PM
you need between 6-20 plants per 1 lb of beans.
according to the book " how grow more vegetables" by jon jeavson.
as for variety "Provider" is the best choice.

izitmidnight
February 14th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Ooh.... everyone has a best variety. Kentucky wonder has always been a very faithful producer. I have branched out and grow Soliel french filet beans as well. Of course, every bean variety has a different taste or productivity rate. Look around, trade a few beans with different people and try them out. See what you like. I would be delighted to send you some of the different varietys that I have that you may not have tried.

Happy Bean Planting!

MVNewf
February 14th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I grew my beans about 8" apart..I grew green & wax beans (bush) and started new rows every 3 weeks....OMG, I had beans coming outta my ears. I also grew Trionfo Violetto beans {purple} (pole) only one planting, but they continually produced awesome into September. I did inocculate all the seeds before I dropped them in the garden. Not sure if that helped or not (big debate) but all my beans were super healthy and huge crops of them. I still have a ton of them in the freezer..lol...

LuvsToPlant
February 14th, 2010, 05:57 PM
MV...if you plant your bush 3-4 inches apart ....think how much more room you would have!
An inoculating is good in areas that may have a "cool damp" start in the spring.... Helps rotting.

Nice to see you!

stone
February 14th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I like to plant my bush beans about an inch apart...
I get lots of beans...

In a humid climate, you WILL want to be extremely careful when picking...
I used to have a g.friend who would kill the entire planting the first time she picked them... I never could train her out of that... told her that it wasn't right, got sassed. Last summer I was getting 4 or 5 harvests off a planting.

LuvsToPlant
February 15th, 2010, 04:26 AM
izit...
I fell in love with the "filet" bean as well...
melt in your mouth!

lunkergill
February 16th, 2010, 09:41 AM
OK, I realize lots of stuff weather, pests, variety, etc can affect the answer to this question, but speaking in generalities. . . . . . How much/many green beans do you get per an "average" bush-type plant? I know approx how many cans of gbeans I want to have put up at the end of the year and I read somewhere that it takes approx 1lb beans per pint jar, but I have no way to translate that into an approx number of plants to plan on putting out. Does 1 average plant give you 1 lb of beans?
Your past experiences would be helpful, I've never even grown gbeans (personally don't like them) but my family eats lots of them.

Thanks in advance
Gail

BTW any varieties I should def try or def avoid would also be helpful.

Hello Show me girl Now I aint no Master Gardener by no means But I am an ol'Hillbilly that has grown a bean or two and as for my bean patch i dont measure how far apart I plant my beans just so they aint piled up. Now our bush beans we plant 1/2 lb of seed to a 40 ft row and under normal conditions one row will turn 15 or 16 quarts on the first pickin. As for the second pickin Myself I dont take a second pickin because it is so small that your better off to just pull them up and replant. However if you leave them they will turn 4 or 5 quarts on the second pickin hope this helps you out
Lunkergill

Bebop
February 16th, 2010, 10:52 AM
does anyone know how many bush beans to plant in a sq. foot garden? I was looking only for pole beans cuz everywhere I read said bush beans needed lots of room...but if you guys are planting from 1-18 inches apart and all are getting good harvests, I may need to look at bush beans again as there are so many I had liked the sound of that I passed over because they were bush and not pole beans

MVNewf
February 16th, 2010, 10:57 AM
LuvsToPlant....thanks for the heads up.... I kept them about 8" apart for breathing room, but if I can get them 4" apart, I certainly will

Show-Me-Girl
February 17th, 2010, 06:59 PM
I like to plant my bush beans about an inch apart...
I get lots of beans...

In a humid climate, you WILL want to be extremely careful when picking...
I used to have a g.friend who would kill the entire planting the first time she picked them... I never could train her out of that... told her that it wasn't right, got sassed. Last summer I was getting 4 or 5 harvests off a planting.
OK, how do you do it that wrong. . .

Sounds like I will have to allow a lot more space for beans or go up with pole beans--I was hoping to can 25+ quarts

blackberrygrl
February 17th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I'm glad I read this thread.

I think I will have to exclude beans from my garden this year. I tried pole beans last year and had a poor yield. I was going to plant bush beans this year. But, I had only planned about a 6 foot space for them. Hardly seems worth it. Oh well...more room for tomatoes and peppers :)

MVNewf
February 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM
blackberrygrl-----Bush beans grow very well in containers to....don't give up on the beans..for that matter, I have even grown peppers in containers. If I can figure out how to post a picture in here, I will show you my 12 tomato plants (7 foot tall, not dwarfs) lots of pepper and cucumber plants all growing in pots. Let me play around with how to upload a pic in here....

sue loves seeds
November 25th, 2010, 05:09 AM

I think I will have to exclude beans from my garden this year. I tried pole beans last year and had a poor yield. I was going to plant bush beans this year. But, I had only planned about a 6 foot space for them. Hardly seems worth it. Oh well...more room for tomatoes and peppers :)

OH MY ITS 602 AND I heard no beans. The world will stop! Beans require patience water peat moss and lots and lots and lots of cow manure. I got beans even in eigty degree heat SUE :(:(:(:( paps172@YAHOO.COM

older than dirt
November 26th, 2010, 11:29 PM

Never tryed it but bet you could plant green beans between the tomatoes in a well planed garden. The beans produce early & the tomatoes dont get real big untill about the time beans are done. Sorry to hear your very space limited.