PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Hills for Squash, Cucumbers, Melons

Pil
March 27th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Good afternoon folks

can anyone here show or tell me how you build up your mounds for squash cucumber and melons?

thank you

P

songstone
March 27th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Actually, the "hill" results from the 3-6 plants that are growing together. it is not necessary to build a mound, unless there are drainage problems. Dig up an area a foot or so in diameter and plant the seeds around in a circle, leaving a little "dish" in the middle to catch water. The vines grow outward in all directions from this circle. Since they are upright at first, and then sprawl out close to the ground, it gives the appearance of a hill.

Liberty7
March 28th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I never plant things like cucumbers, squash or pumpkins in hills/mounds. I just plant them like I would anything else.

I grow pumpkins 'IN' the aisles of my corn patch which spread throughout the corn area. (Just dig a hole and plunk down a pumpkin seed!)

Winter squash, I grow NEXT to the backyard chain-link fence (VERTICALLY) which I train 'UP' the fence.

Cucumbers I grow VERTICALLY on the same 60 ft. nylon trellis that I grow pole beans on.

LuvsToPlant
March 28th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Good afternoon folks

can anyone here show or tell me how you build up your mounds for squash cucumber and melons?

thank you

P
Yes Pil!
Traditionaly cukes, squash and melons are grown in mounds or hills!

I like to dig a hole about a foot /foot and a half deep. I add some nice aged
cow manure/ compost and mix it with the existing soil.
I then mound up from the sides and form a hill about a foot wide and
about 8-10 inches high.
I plant about 5-6 seeds around the hole, somewhat on the sides ...closer to the top....and water well.

The mound/hill provides a warmer soil and better drainage.
:)

mjc
March 28th, 2010, 07:07 AM
If you are doing raised beds...then 'hills' aren't really needed, because the raised bed is basically a larger hill and is doing the same thing, warming the soil and improving drainage.

Pil
March 28th, 2010, 05:25 PM
oh, I do have some raised beds but not for my squash, melons or cucumbers. They will take all of the space up if I did this. So, I am digging 4 3x3 areas 4 to 5 feet apart and sort of mounding them up with compost mixed in with the earth. I went out on the internet and found some information on hill planting for these kinds of plants. I really never understood the hill reason but now I realize it for draining. :o

Thank you all.

LuvsToPlant
March 28th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Well Pil....hope you read my post above...
I have been digging to make hills since I was taught from a child....
They are useful to help warm the soil in the upper half of the US (shorter day lengths)
and as I mentioned...drainage.

Longtail
March 28th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I used to make nice little raised hills thinking they would heat better, they might, buty after the young plants get gouing it matters little. i just plant in rows like corn or beans and get lots of squash, punkins. I still do make a few hills, nor raised, just a group of seeds, and bury manure underneath. Results are very near the same most years .

Direct Sunlight
March 28th, 2010, 10:27 PM
If you build mounds you can see later exactly where to water. Last year I planted watermelon, and the vines grew on top of each other. By July I couldn't tell where to water anymore! I had to put markers by the stems. On the other hand, if you have drainage issues then the melons & vines will start to mildew when the days start getting shorter. In other words mounding where the seeds are planted only helps drainage for the first month or so.