PDA

View Full Version : Planting by Almanac dates

Pil
April 3rd, 2010, 09:50 AM
Good morning peeps. I was reading in my Almanac what days would be good for planting my seedlings and seeds. I came across something on planting on a waxing and wanning moon. It says to plant below ground crops on a wanning moon and above ground crops on a waxing moon.

the waxing moon for April are 15-20 also it list April 16-27 as favorable planting. This was from the Blum's almanac

In the Farmer's almanac it says April 7 & 14 is a good time to plant tomatoes. Of course it lists other veggies but just gave you tomato.

do any of you plant according to the almanac dates?

Pil
April 3rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
anybody? :)

bogged
April 3rd, 2010, 08:31 PM
I do it seems to work for me. You can find the exact dates to plant and do many other things on line at old farmers almanac best days. I also broke my children from the bottle and potty trained them by the signs. Worked very well for me

Blanesgarden
April 3rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Weve had this discussion over and over!
Here is just one of them....
http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12998

Now we can start some more on this, If you like.:cool:

Pil
April 3rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
thank you. since I am fairly new active member I would not have know this if you had not responded... thank you :)

Weve had this discussion over and over!
Here is just one of them....
http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12998

Now we can start some more on this, If you like.:cool:

Blanesgarden
April 3rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
Keep in mind....
Many different versions of an "Almanac" are out there....

Some folks go with this one....and that one....etc...

And some folks think its Hogwash!
What say you?:confused:

texman
April 4th, 2010, 02:13 AM
Yes I do at times and at times I dont. I have found following an almanac planting guide is no more accurate than just watching what my neighbor who has gardened all his life does and copying him. His wife gives him firm instructions from an almanac and then he goes and does what he feels is right - seems to work real well for him, and me too.

EdlinUser
April 4th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I don't plant by the signs.

I plant when I can. When the air and soil have warmed enough and there's a rain on the way. And the soil is not saturated.:D This year is the latest start for me in many years. I just planted peas, carrots, greens, potatoes, and garlic 3 days ago.

LuvsToPlant
April 4th, 2010, 06:38 AM
do any of you plant according to the almanac dates?
Yes I do...Pil.
I think you will find just a handful of people that disagree with the practice.
In most cases their defence is... Hogwash....ha
They have never tried it or tried it more than one season.

I have found the plants germinate much faster and are much more healthier
in more ways than one....
Below is a copy of a post I posted in another thread that was the most recent discussion if you choose to read through
http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28142&highlight=lunar+planting

HERES MY POST:

"I just dug out my journal from 2007...(I have 2008 and 09 somewhere)

As I mentioned I always try to plant by the moons cycle , but not always possible
with my scedule.
My FIRST planting is always done by the moons cycles (makes me feel better)
Here is a chart below I just typed up quickly.
The first planting of seeds was done according to the correct dates of the month
root and above crop for seeds.
I try to plant every two weeks...the second week was NOT on the favorable dates.
Look at the different day lengths it took to germinate

Spinach Planted
" Planted April 22...up 28. germ 6 days
April 8...up April 20. germ 12 days

Peas planted April 22 up April 28 germ 6 days
" planted May 6 up June 18. germ 15 days

Carrott planted May 19 up May 29 germ 10 days
" planted June 2 up June 16 germ 14 days

Corn planted May 19 up May 25 germ 6 days
" planted June 2 up June 12 germ 10 days

Beans planted May 22 up May 26 germ. 4 days
" planted June 5 up June 14 germ. 9 days

A difference.... yes!"

So you see Pil...in my records germination was much quicker.

I live near an ocean and can see the forces everyday...
:)

Robby
April 4th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I try but time sometimes life won't allow it.

I planted my seeds in my mater germinater during the waning moon. :(

I didn't want the plants to tall before they go into the ground. That happened last year.

Tomatoes started popping up within 5 days. Peppers within 8 to 10 days.

The weather has been very warm and that is what made the difference.

I like the old almanac. They were right with the winter.

Good luck.

Amei
April 4th, 2010, 12:57 PM
IMO if you wait for the almanac to tell you when to plant, you lose a lot of valuable growing days. This may be a stretch, but if the guys growing inside under lights hydroponically waited for the almanac to tell them when to plaTnt,they would be better off just growing outside. Again this is just my opinion.

There is really little to nothing scientific about the Farmer's Almanac. Just years of observance. It's kind of like trusting the weather man's 10 day outlook. You know how wrong he can be.

Whether or not the waxing or waning moon works, I don't know. I have never paid any attention to it.

Pil
April 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM
So, its up to me..... It seems so long to wait until the 15th to plant... this is 11 days away. I want to plant :( its over cast today and thought these were good days to plant. argh

Amei
April 4th, 2010, 03:50 PM
So, its up to me..... It seems so long to wait until the 15th to plant... this is 11 days away. I want to plant :( its over cast today and thought these were good days to plant. argh

If you are in Zone 7b and haven't started planting, why not? I started planting my tomatoes in the ground around March 8th. Peas, lettuce & broccoli and other greens in January & February. I finished planting my peppers on Friday. Supposedly the soil temperature is still too cold, but they are all on raised beds and they seem to heat up sooner than the lower soil. I put out some zukes and melons yesterday.

Hubby is outside tilling up another bed for the eggplant and tomatillos. I will wait on the beans for another week or so. Cukes were direct seeded today.

According to my local gardening guru, I started way too early for 7b, but last year if I had started when you were supposed to, the unexpected freeze would have killed off my tomato plants anyway. Last year I had to go out and buy some plants to replace the frozen ones. This year I grew enough from seed to have backups and I waited until a couple days ago to install the cages.

Last year I had cabbage, broccoli, chard & salad from a late summer planting continue growing over winter even with the extremely cold winter here. I am going to build some hoops this year to go on my new raised beds to extend the growing season even further. I am going to grow some sweet peppers in containers and bring them inside when it starts getting cold outside in the fall, so I will have some zest for my salads in the winter and maybe spring.

I wouldn't wait another minute to get it going. :)

LoreD
April 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I've done the almanac starting dates and they do work. I accidentally gots my dates mixed up and started two groups of tomatoes on the second and third dates of the "optimum" start dates and the third group on the following day which was one of the "barren" days. I did get germination on the third group, but they didn't grow as fast as the first two groups and they weren't as robust and productive as the other groups.

If I can do it on those dates, I do. But if I can't plant on those dates because of weather or being out of town, I just do it when its convenient.

LoreD

TastyofHasty
April 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM

But 6th, 7th and 8th are good for roots, and 11th, 12th, and 13th are good for roots and VINES... at least according to this online almanac:

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/calendar/gardening/

I'd call tomatoes VINES, also pole beans, squash, melons, gourds, and PEAS.

Pil
April 4th, 2010, 07:24 PM
yes, your right I did not think about these as vines... I was think grapes.... ha ha duh

LuvsToPlant
April 4th, 2010, 07:34 PM
IMO Again this is just my opinion.

There is really little to nothing scientific about the Farmer's Almanac. Just years of observance. It's kind of like trusting the weather man's 10 day outlook. You know how wrong he can be.

Whether or not the waxing or waning moon works, I don't know. I have never paid any attention to it.

....As I mentioned...
Those who oppose the method...just .."dont know" and have "Never paid much attention to it"

By the way Amei...
The Farmers Almanac predicts the weather for the country two year in advanced and has been correct 80-85% of the time.

JBrower
April 4th, 2010, 07:35 PM
No.

But for those that say it works, that's great. More power to them.

My problem with it stems from people that swear by it when they plant their seeds INDOORS. Like a seed indoors knows what the moon is doing. Really now. Really.

As far as outside . . . maybe (but probably not). But is a few extra days out of a 3,4,5,6,7, month growing season significant? No. Will a waxing or waning moon be able to tell if you if a late spring freeze is headed your way? No. Which is more important for the short and long them health of your plants: the cycle of the moon or sub-freezing temperatures? So for me, and only me, common sense is more important. And common sense comes from experience.

So if it makes you feel good, go for it, you're not out much if it works or not.

songstone
April 4th, 2010, 09:21 PM
The Almanac generally marks Earth and Water signs in the first, second, and third quarters as good planting dates, but I don't necessarily go by this at all.

I plant by the Moon signs when I can, regardless of the phase. Mostly, I "sniff the air", or just feel it, to determine if it is a good planting day. There are a couple "rules" I have learned not to break. The main one is: "Don't plant peas when the Moon is in Virgo, or they will rot in the ground without sprouting". Virgo, an Earth sign, is good for most gardening, just not for planting peas.

Gemini, which is generally useful for planting ornamental, and also "air" seeds, like the lettuces and umbellifera, is the best Moon sign for planting peas. Not blackeyes, but English, Snow, etc.

bogged
April 4th, 2010, 09:22 PM
No.

My problem with it stems from people that swear by it when they plant their seeds INDOORS. Like a seed indoors knows what the moon is doing. Really now. Really.

As far as outside . . . maybe (but probably not). But is a few extra days out of a 3,4,5,6,7, month growing season significant? No. Will a waxing or waning moon be able to tell if you if a late spring freeze is headed your way? No. Which is more important for the short and long them health of your plants: the cycle of the moon or sub-freezing temperatures? So for me, and only me, common sense is more important. And common sense comes from experience.

So if it makes you feel good, go for it, you're not out much if it works or not.
If you look their are dates for seed starting as well as planting dates for outside their are best days in each month. I use the dates for seed starting inside and it works well for me. The plants being inside doesn't keep the moon phase from affecting them

LuvsToPlant
April 5th, 2010, 05:55 AM
No.

So Pil...as I mentioned
There is a handful of people who have not tried planting by the moons cycles.
Nor a defense that makes sense as well.

...sorry Jbrower I think you have been mis informed somewhere.
:)

TennOC
April 5th, 2010, 07:00 AM
We know it's really spring when the annual "Moon sign" discussion re-occurs, LOL. Results are all that matters in gardening. Philosophy is great, there's a lot of good plans made in winter that don't always pan out...but you can't argue with results. Oh, and I don't plant by anyone's almanac, 'cause nobody knows my garden spot like I do!

jokenmar
April 5th, 2010, 09:02 AM
well, I don;t know how I missed this thread. I started a new one asking how everyone planted, if by the almanac or just when convenient etc. Sorry about that.

Amei
April 5th, 2010, 09:04 AM
We know it's really spring when the annual "Moon sign" discussion re-occurs, LOL.

That's about as scientific as it gets on this subject. ;)

jokenmar
April 5th, 2010, 09:16 AM
In South Louisiana, there are a lot of folks who swear by planting thteir whole garden on good Friday. my Daddy planted on good friday. We grew all of our veggies and we canned and shared with neighbors, We always had plenty. If Daddy didn't get it all planted on good friday, he would finish up on whatever day he could. My inlaws lived in the city and gardened their back yard. She planted strictly by the almanac, and filled her freezer every year with veggies from her garden. I tried planting some things this good friday, even tho the almanac said it was only good for root crops. we shall see.

by the way,,, just ignore the new thread I made, lol.

TastyofHasty
April 5th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Which is more important for the short and long them health of your plants: the cycle of the moon or sub-freezing temperatures? So for me, and only me, common sense is more important. And common sense comes from experience.

Even the moon people say that. The moon phase is only one thing you take into account out of a lot of things. It's mostly about the huge subterranean flow of water (and dirt, even) either up, or down, like the tides, as far as I can tell. Years ago somebody said "think of it as time planning," or something like that (can't remember, sigh!) ... it's actually a good way to remember to plant the different kinds of things, roots, above-ground, vines, and take other times to weed, dig, or just sit back and type on idig ... ;)