PDA

View Full Version : How many tomatoes in raised bed?

wvgirl
May 4th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I have 4 beds that are 4'x8'x8". My husband and I are getting ready to put out the tomaotes and peppers. How many plants per bed would you suggest putting out. Any help or links would be very appreciated. We are pretty new to the gardening thing.

Thanks

Hairy Moose Knuckles
May 4th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Well, I give u my take on it. Tomatoes like circulation. I try to give mine 3 sq feet all around. So, in your space, I would do a maximum of 3 maters and 3 peppers and I would consider that being crowded. I don't grow in beds much, so some of the others can give u their take.

bogydave
May 4th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Toms: I'd do 8 in each. One in each corner & split the difference for the other 2 per side.
Just stake them so they grow up more than out.
Pepper: 10 in each, 5 per side.

wvgirl
May 5th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Thank you for your coments I am always guilty of overcrowding, so I will try to give them a little more space.

wvgirl

Crocodile
May 5th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I'd strongly recommend a 3' x 3' block for each tomato plant at a minimum. You could put some basil and marigolds in as a border on the west side or the south side, depending on how your beds are positioned. More than 3 tomatoes in the bed you described will quickly turn into a jungle. You stake them up, right?

I'm no good at growing peppers, but I'd say they need at least one square foot each, if not a little bit more.

springfever
May 5th, 2010, 09:57 PM
well someone recommends 3 and someone recommends 8 (smile) I'm actually somewhere in the middle more like 5 tomatoes and a couple peppers and a couple other things in the 4x8ft. bed.
I have put the tomatoes right in the center and then the peppers on either side . But usually I do a couple tomatoes, then a couple peppers, and throw in a bit of lettuce or radishes for now.

jeffinsgf
May 5th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Peppers like to rub shoulders with each other. Tomatoes decidedly do not. I plant peppers on a one foot grid, starting 6 inches from the edge of the bed, giving me 16 peppers in a 4 x 4 bed. It might sound excessive, but I will never plant more than one tomato in a 4 x 4 bed again. I put 3 to 5 in them a couple years ago and had a mess and few tomatoes. That's when the tomatoes got their own space outside the raised beds. They get spaced 3 feet on center on a row at the edge of the garden where nothing is planted within 4 feet of the inside edge.

bughunter99
May 6th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I say six. Stagger them front back front back to take advantage of the space that is outside of the planter to increase plant air flow to the plants. It's easier to picture if you draw out a grid fours squares deep and eight squares long. Assume each square is one foot and stick the plant in the center of it. If you stagger them back to front, you'll end up with a decent amount of space around each plant.

There a pluses and benefits to each theory. If you only go with three plants, your chance for disease is less but you'll also have way less fruit. More plants means more fruit but also can mean more risk for disease. You can negate a lot of the disease risk by practicing good plant care. Make sure your soil is healthy. Bottom water only. Mulch under the plants to minimize soil splash and check them daily to identify problems early. The three feet rule is the way to go if you have tons of space. If like me, your space is far less than your desire for daily fresh salsa, you plant more intensively and do it carefully. : )

Stacy

Amei
May 6th, 2010, 07:20 AM
I space my plants 2 ft apart. I plant other crops in front of the tomatoes. It seems to work out okay here. ;)