PDA

View Full Version : Mayhaws and wild dewberries are in season

Alabamy
May 7th, 2010, 11:46 AM
So this weekend we're planning on doing some urban scavenging for wild dewberries and mayhaw fruit. I have already seen people by the roadside picking the dewberries so I figure it's time to get a move on. Do any of you pick these delicious little fruits?

Here's a picture of the dewberry from sodahead.com
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/ranch/dewberries.jpg

and some mayhaws

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/images/mayhaw2.jpg

deciduousLychees
May 7th, 2010, 07:02 PM
What do they taste like? Are the dewberries like blackberries? Can you eat mayhaws fresh?

GAGardenGirl
May 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Love...love...love...Mayhaw Jelly! Also, dewberries make awesome pies, and we pick them when we have the chance.

Amei
May 7th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I have never seen them here. They are too round to be blackberries. GaGardenGirl, where do you find them?

GAGardenGirl
May 7th, 2010, 07:37 PM
What we always called dewberries grew wild on our farm in Georgia. They were bigger than wild blackberries. Like end-of-thumb size, and sweeter. (We had a lot of cow pasture when I was younger.) Mayhaw jelly we got from south Georgia.

swamp man
May 7th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I have never seen them here. They are too round to be blackberries. GaGardenGirl, where do you find them?

Dewberries are a type of blackberry, only a railing variety rather than a caning variety.....you can do anything with them that you can caning blackberries.

Yeah, I pick 'em!....and try to freeze twenty or thirty gallons a year. That cobbler is somethin' else when the cold weather rolls around. :)

They're amazingly juicy, too. Last time I made dewberry syrup, I canned many, many pints out of just two gallons of berries. It's looking like a good crop of them this year, but we've still got a few days before the hit their peak.

Jackie-T
May 7th, 2010, 08:02 PM
dewberries are my number one favorite thing to eat ,especialy crushed fresh over ice cream. i have never seen or tried eating mayhaw do they grow as far north as zone 5? It is an attractive looking fruit.

southern_gardener
May 7th, 2010, 08:37 PM
love me some mayhaw jelly. me and my little boy picked a bunch of dewberries today. we dont get to keep enuff to store cuz he usually eats most of em before we get home.

Alabamy
May 7th, 2010, 09:22 PM
What do they taste like? Are the dewberries like blackberries? Can you eat mayhaws fresh?

To me dewberries are a little more tart than blackberries but that is probably mostly due to under ripeness. They are wonderful in cobbler and you can generally get gallons and gallons for free just walking down the railroad tracks or around ditches.

Fresh mayhaws can be sweet or sour depending on ripeness, people mostly use them for syrup, juice and jelly it has an unusual, interesting, delicious flavor. In LA and MS they tend to grow along side bogs, people use their boats to gather the floaters up since the ripe fruit fall. They can also grow away from bogs as long as your area gets enough rainfall.

Alabamy
May 7th, 2010, 09:23 PM
dewberries are my number one favorite thing to eat ,especialy crushed fresh over ice cream. i have never seen or tried eating mayhaw do they grow as far north as zone 5? It is an attractive looking fruit.

I don't think they do Jackie, they are pretty rare even down in the South. They need the right temp and a TON of water.

Hairy Moose Knuckles
May 7th, 2010, 11:22 PM
If possible, please save some seed. I would love to have seed from both!

purple_queen
May 7th, 2010, 11:41 PM
i dont think mayhaws would grow here? at least i've never heard of them. but they look similar to a poisonous berry i came across, like holly berries?

i'm jealous :)

bogged
May 8th, 2010, 12:01 AM
The dewberries and blackberry is just now in bloom at my place 6b in missouri. The old wives tale is that the cold spell you have when blackberries are in bloom is the last one. Hopefully this is true and after Sunday it will stay warm.

uncletree67
May 8th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Next weekend they having the annual mayhaw festival in Marion, LA. Home to more wild mayhaws plants than any where in the usa.:D

buttercup69
May 8th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Dew berries are low crawling blackberries. Unless you are looking low you won't see them. They usually bloom early spring and are ripe before high bush type blackberries.

buttercup69
May 8th, 2010, 06:39 PM
They are here in GA they started flowing about a month ago before the high bush type blackberries. They grow(crawl) along the ground. They usually ripen before the high bush type.

jokenmar
May 9th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Dewberries are mostly a southern thing and are found in many of the southern states. They grow low to the ground on briars. They can be found on fence rows, open fields that haven't been mowed, and they get as big as the end of your thumb if they are in partial shade and get enough rain. They are sweeter than blackberries, and are not bitter like the blackberry. The dewberry and the black berry are two entirely different berries. The black berries grow on long vines that will grow into a big mound of briars. They start getting ripe after the dewberries, and you can usually start picking around the very last of May or the first of June.
Mayhaws are lovely little fruits but are full of tiny seeds. They are hard to eat fresh because of the seeds. They have a wonderfully sweetish yet tart flavor and makes the best jelly ever for hot biscuits or for a homemade jelly cake. They are hard to come by unless you have a boat, or know someone who has a boat, or someone who has them growing on their property. They like plenty of water, but do not have to grow on a river bank or creek bank. I have picked them up off the ground before., It is hard to pick then off the tree, as they fall easily when they are ripe.

We make jelly from the Mayhaws, and we make pies, cobblers, dumplings and jelly our of the dewberries.

Denninmi
May 9th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Seriously, both of these things are ripe now, IN MAY, early May at that? Blows my mind.

We have dewberries in abundance here in Michigan in old farm fields, roadsides, etc, where the soil was once distrurbed. I actually had a bad infestation of them in one part of one of my gardens that I fought for many years, and have it down to just one or two now trying to pop up this year.

I have another area I let them grow. Very tasty. But, bunnies tend to strip the young foliage and flower buds in the spring, so I never get too many berries, just a few.

None of our hawthorn species would ripen fruit until late summer.

uncletree67
May 9th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I ate some dewberries growing at my work friday. Those things make a awesome cobblar with some home made ice cream!!!!!!!!:)

organicbaby
May 9th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Alabamy, loads of ripe dewberries in the fence rows of the fields out along Airport Blvd past the airport.

gulfcoastguy
May 9th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Ate a few dewberries this afternoon over by the pumpkin patch.

Alabamy
May 9th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Alabamy, loads of ripe dewberries in the fence rows of the fields out along Airport Blvd past the airport.

Hmm I'm not exactly sure where you are talking about. I don't go out past the airport much. I would love to go pick em if there are a bunch. Today we only got about 1 gallon. :(

jokenmar
May 9th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Oh we found a huge patch of dewberries today being the building next door. As far as you could see there were purple and red berries all over the place. After the sun went down, my daughter and I went over and picked a couple of gallons. We plan to go over again tomorrow. We don't pick during the middle of the day because it is just too hot. she burns real easy and I can't take the heat. Can't wait for the first dew berry dumplings. Yummy!

organicbaby
May 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Hmm I'm not exactly sure where you are talking about. I don't go out past the airport much. I would love to go pick em if there are a bunch. Today we only got about 1 gallon. :(

About 4-5 miles west of the airport is Newman road to the left (when traveling west)...?maybe another mile or two beyond that, there is a straightaway with large fields on both sides (look for the fields and don't go by my jackleg estimations of mileage, okay? :rolleyes:) The fencerow I saw them on was on the south side of Airport Blvd. Don't think anyone would have a problem with you picking from there and there looked to be a lot.

Wear jeans and boots and don't forget your Snake Scaring Stick...it was pretty grown up but definitely doable. :)

I'd be doing it myself but found more than I could handle at my folks place yesterday.

TastyofHasty
May 12th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I've got one mayhaw called "Big Red" I bought from Hidden Springs Nursery.
http://www.hiddenspringsnursery.com/plants.html#Mayhaw
They say "Zones 6 - 9." They also say "self-fertile," but do better with another variety. So maybe I should get another variety to plant nearby. But reading up online, I did see they are susceptible to cedar rust. When I saw that, I thought, uh-oh. Cedars galore here.

jokenmar
May 12th, 2010, 11:32 PM
OMGosh, I made our first dewberry dumplings yesterday evening for after supper. My daughter went and bought some french vanilla ice cream, and my oh my, it was so delicious. I know I didn't need either one, but sometimes, you just got to do what you got to do.