PDA

View Full Version : Jug Onions

BCEMP
May 7th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Does anybody know where to buy "Jug Onions"? One INET source said "they were from West Virginia"-trouble is WHERE (in WV) and WHO sells them! Some think they could be Bottle Onions???

Violet
May 8th, 2010, 09:05 AM
What do they look like? Have you had experience with them? Do they make sets in the ground or make bulbets at the top? Are they red or yellow or a different color? The more information you can provide, the better for everyone else.

There is thought that they are actually Egyptian Onions aka Walking Onions.

mjc
May 8th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Here's an older thread on the subject...

http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?p=77716

Now, from the descriptions I've found around the web, it seems that they are NOT a walking onion/top setting onion. The seem to be a 'dividing' onion, like potato onions or shallots (something like this...http://www.provegseeds.com/temp/latest_product.php?productid=12). Zebrune is one of the largest 'shallots', it is a pinkish one, similar in shape to the Italian bottle onions. Another close one is the Amish bottle onion...a reddish bottle shaped onion. Neither of those is particularly known for being 'multiplying' onions.

I can do a little talking to some of the 'old timers' around here and see if anyone knows/has heard of/grows jugs...as they sound like one I'd be interested in, too.

BCEMP
May 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Thank you Violet & MJC for your replies!
I know of someone who is looking for these and she's hitting a wall in locating them!
She told me that they are shaped like a jug w/red skin but white on the inside.
She said that it has been years since she's seen them but that they did set on the top and sounded very sure about it. Thanks for the thread mjc-I don't know what to think now b/c that thread indicated just the opposite. If any old timers can shed some light it would truly be appreciated!
Maybe it's an Amish bottle onion after-all...I'll check it out-thanks again!