PDA

View Full Version : Hellmann's, the "Mayonnaise From ****"

winter_unfazed
May 23rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
There have recently been appearances of Hellmann's brand mayonnaises which superficially seem "healthier", such as by adding olive oil. Don't fall for it.

According to Jeffrey M. Smith (author of Genetic Roulette), Hellmann's contains unlabeled GMO ingredients including the byproducts of bacteria. The Hellmann's brand is owned by Unilever, which is among the greatest purveyors of Frankenfood in the general market.

As to the olive oil in the mayonnaise, its potential health benefits are practically negated by the hydrogenation process anyway.

nedwina
May 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
Oh man. Gotta link so I can disappoint my sister completely? She's a big fan.

I keep getting recipes & Frugal Gourmet type links when I search~

theplantguytn
May 23rd, 2010, 11:52 AM
It takes 5 min to make your own mayo and you know what is in it. Why are we surprised that when we let others do the things we should do ourselves that it's not what we expected?

redneckplanter
May 23rd, 2010, 11:59 AM
noooooooooooooooooooooooo say it aint so joe!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????
lol

johnsonjrbm
May 23rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
No problem for me- I grew up in Mississippi and prefer Miracle Whip. I remember the first time I tasted mayo... :eek:

redneckplanter
May 23rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
sobbing here in texas.....
oh the agony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RozieDozie
May 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
Hellman's is nasty. How 'bout Best Foods Miracle Whip? I'm positive there's nothing bad in that, especially when you spread it thick on white bread, add heirloom tomatoes and put on enough salt to make the whole thing CRUNCH. :)

johnsonjrbm
May 23rd, 2010, 01:06 PM
Hellman's is nasty. How 'bout Best Foods Miracle Whip? I'm positive there's nothing bad in that, especially when you spread it thick on white bread, add heirloom tomatoes and put on enough salt to make the whole thing CRUNCH. :)

And Miracle Whip makes the best deviled eggs...

greenmagick
May 23rd, 2010, 01:24 PM
Is there any miracle whip type products without HFCS? I havent been able to find them here:(

MukkRatt
May 23rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
Even though labels don't tell the whole story, by reading labels you can get half an idea about food...or Frankenfood. Mayo used to be the basic eggs, oil and lemon and/or vinegar, salt and spices. I've noticed they all have water and thickeners these days...and chemicals. I'm guessing that now we might as well assume that many ingredients in any processed food is GMO. Too bad labels don't have to tell that particular story.

I'm rather suspicious of any processed food which claims any sort of benefit.
Whatever benefit provided by said food will probably be out weighed by the negatives. (Ex: bottled green tea = preservatives; granola bars w/ some whole grain = loads of sugar and perhaps hydrogenated fat...etc...) Making such 'healthy food' claims is just a marketing technique and rarely means we should feel good about eating a particular processed food. I actually feel better about eating the lard rendered from my own homegrown hogs (chemical free, of course) than eating any processed food.

...but LOL...I'd still eat one of Rozie's 'mater samiges'...even with some processed mayo...Mmm-mmm:confused:

Amei
May 23rd, 2010, 01:54 PM
Hubby grew up on Blue Plate mayo, but loves Hellman's. This is going to take a bit of persuasion to get him to quit Hellman's. Miracle Whip is out of the running because of the sweetness. How about Duke's mayo?

greenmagick
May 23rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Oh, and I have been using Trader Joe's mayo

ingredients:
soybean oil, whole egg, cider vinegar, egg yolk, water, distilled vinegar, lemon juice (from concentrate), salt, spice, natural flavor

lorna-organic
May 23rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
They don't have to label soybean oil as to whether it is GM, so I don't buy mayo. I make my own mayonaisse. Using plain rice wine vinegar gets me closest to the flavor of Hellman's (aka Best Foods in some areas). I specified plain rice wine vinegar because there is a seasoned variety. The term "natural flavor" is usually a euphemism for MSG.

greenmagick
May 23rd, 2010, 02:21 PM
They don't have to label soybean oil as to whether it is GM, so I don't buy mayo. I make my own mayonaisse. Using plain rice wine vinegar gets me closest to the flavor of Hellman's (aka Best Foods in some areas). I specified plain rice wine vinegar because there is a seasoned variety. The term "natural flavor" is usually a euphemism for MSG.

Thanks, those were the two ingredients I was questioning. I keep meaning to make my own, but just havent yet....not really sure why. I have a recipe for it from Nourishing Traditions I really wanted to try.

lorna-organic
May 23rd, 2010, 02:28 PM
I used to make my mayo in the blender. It is a tedious process-- drizzling the oil in slowly. Recently I discovered that it takes half as much time to make mayo in the food processor. It is actually easier for me, too, because the food processor is a shorter machine. I don't have to have my arm up so high in the air to drizzle the oil in.

If a person likes really rich mayo, just use egg yolks. If you like a semi-rich mayo, one whole egg and one yolk will do the trick. I am happy making a small batch with one whole egg. It nets me almost 1-1/2 cups of mayo. It keeps well for about a week in the fridge.

songstone
May 23rd, 2010, 10:40 PM
When I buy Mayo, it's organic. Theoretically, there should be no GMO soy oil in it, and there also no "natural flavors" (hydrolyzed/autolyzed yeast extract of soy, the "natural" source of MSG")