PDA

View Full Version : Heirloom sweet corn... what types would you like to see offered by Baker's Creek?

Gort
July 6th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Here are a few (I believe, from the information...what little is available.... that these are Open Pollinated/Heirloom sweet corns) I would like to see, if possible, in the future, offered by Baker's Creek.

1) Double-Red.
85-100 days(information varies.. on different sites).
http://www.seedambassadors.org/Mainpages/still/seedlist/seedlist.htm
To see information about Double-Red... you will have to look down the list/corn seeds(this is from a few years ago... they do not have this product listed for sale,(any longer?) as of 2010). No photos(sorry)...just some information.

2) Festivity.
75-80 days(information varies). Has many colors... red,purple, yellow and white.

These 2 types sound interesting.

3) Ashworth.
65-69 days(information varies.... but this appears to be an early sweet corn)http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49739/

This sounds a lot like Golden Bantam Improved, which is sold at Baker's Creek.

Gort
July 6th, 2010, 02:41 AM
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/49801/

'Yukon Supreme'
For all of the details, see the link/site above.

This sounds like a very early yellow/gold sweet corn.

Information varies, from a few sources...but they all seem to agree that this is a very rapidly growing sweet corn.

This may be the fastest growing corn that I have ever heard about.

Add this to the list of heirloom sweet corn seeds that I would like to see sold by Baker's Creek.

Amei
July 6th, 2010, 10:39 AM
The double red sounds interesting as does the Yukon Supreme. I would buy seed of both.

GreenZone
July 6th, 2010, 11:29 AM
FWIW we did try growing out Ashworth last season, but the grower didn't get enough to make it worthwhile to list. I believe she's trying again this season.

The others all sound interesting. Thanks for suggestions--keep 'em comin'.

Love My Garden
July 6th, 2010, 11:47 AM
ornamental broom corn.....love making my old timey brooms!

GreenZone
July 6th, 2010, 11:50 AM
ornamental broom corn.....love making my old timey brooms!

Those we do carry, and a couple more are in grow out this season. They're actually sorghum--check under that section.

Love My Garden
July 6th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Those we do carry, and a couple more are in grow out this season. They're actually sorghum--check under that section.

Will do...I never would have thought to look there....Thanks!

Gort
July 6th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Late Entry/Update:(Note: Greenzone... I Hope that this is "ok" to post... another seed(sales) site information, about the 2 corns above w/ photos....if not... please delete..and let me know.. and I won't post "outside sales sites" again on idig. I think that it is ok, so I will post the link, as I had posted Sandhill Preservation links last year, about some items).
Here is a link with photos of Double-Red and Festivity.
http://www.horizonherbs.com/group.asp?grp=59&pgNUM=2

The Festivity sounds like it may tolerate (light) frost(s), according to this site, and is also very productive

HillsideDigger
July 6th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Heirloom sweet corn seed is not available here locally as far as I have found.

So, I sure would like to starting ordering the seed but need to find out which seed to order.

silverseeds
July 6th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Heirloom sweet corn seed is not available here locally as far as I have found.

So, I sure would like to starting ordering the seed but need to find out which seed to order.

what region are you in? Corn is a highly adapted beast. I think one reason heirloom corns get a bad rap, is because people sometimes grow the wrong varieties.

Gort
July 6th, 2010, 02:31 PM
A few things I learned was that when you first see silk on the corn stalks(ears developing)... count about 18 days ahead on the calendar... and then keep a close eye on the ears... as it appeared that the best flavor for 2 types of heirloom sweet corns, that I grew last year, was between 18-21 days, after seeing the first silk(s) appear.

I picked some around day 14-15... and the corn wasn't ready. I picked some at day 24-25, and it was not really sweet, and somewhat tough.

I think that the latest that had I picked ears- and they still had an acceptable taste, and not too tough, was maybe 22 days, or so.

I have heard before to pick heirloom sweet corn from around 15-20 days... but, as I mentioned earlier... closer to 18-21 days seems better...for the corn I grew, at least(others corn/ears may be different..and require less time).

As for cooking the heirloom sweet corn... timing seems to be a big deal in how the corn tastes.

I have heard that you pick the corn, then boiled/cook immediately.

The latest that I had waited to cook corn was about 24 hours last year... and the ears were tougher, and I don't recall any sweet flavor.

I have waited 1-3 hours to cook heirloom sweet corn before... and it was still ok... but I probably wouldn't wait much longer than 4 hours after picking, as it appears the sugar in the corn turns to starch rapidly after picking the ears.

skiracer
July 6th, 2010, 02:36 PM
I don't grow corn anymore because it's almost cheaper to buy it. But the best corn I know of is Jersey Silver Queen. Grown here in NJ it has very small white kernels and is so sweet that you can eat it raw and it is delicious. I really don't know if Baker Creek sells any type of heirloom Jersey Silver Queen.

Amei
July 6th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Skiracer, my pack of Silver Queen seed says that it is a hybrid.

Gort, I never thought about counting the days from silk to determine when to harvest corn. I have always waited for the silk to just turn brown and then wait about 3 days. This method usually works. Last year with Golden Bantam it didn't work -- result starchy corn. This year it does.

I agree about it going to starch if not cooked soon after picking. I have thrown them immediately in the meat drawer in the refrigerator and it kept for three days.

HillsideDigger
July 6th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I did pick the first ear of the season on July 4th. and got 2 more yesterday of the thousand or more ears I expect between now and October but reluctantly it is 'golden queen'.

hawaiiman
March 11th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Hawaiian supersweet number 9 or #10, golden giant. i just moved to thailand from hawaii. due to an excess of lava rock, i haven't grown corn in a long time. i brought some of one of my favorites-kandy corn (hybrid), but would prefer something i can save seed from. most corn grown here is togh and not too sweet, but not sure if that's just poor practices or genetics. a lot of bi-color here. as a former commercial grower i'm pretty picky about my sweet corn. i planted the kandy in mid feb. and already near knee high in mid march. i understand UH developed hawaiian supersweet #9 & 10 to be plantable year round in warm climates and includes supersweet gene, but open pollinated.