PDA

View Full Version : hollyhocks

arhogfan56
April 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I planted some hollyhocks last year and they didnt get very tall. They are growing good now and putting on some height. When do they bloom?

Snaki
April 7th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Can't speak for others but our hollyhocks started putting on height in early June and bloomed shortly thereafter, ours kept blooming until winter hit. Sounds like we are quite a bit north of you arhogfan, as ours are just starting to green up, so you will likely see results earlier than us.

Good luck, they are beautiful flowers

strong eagle
April 7th, 2007, 10:07 PM
mine just started putting up bloom stalks, a few days ago , before this coldsnap hit. They were hit bad, but will go ahead and bloom. I just planted "summer Carnival" which will grow and bloom this year. Strong

Rim Runner
April 8th, 2007, 04:28 AM
I think it also depends on what variety of hollyhock you are planting. I have had good success with hollyhocks and really enjoy Jet Black. In the past they have bloomed for me in July. This is my first year planting them in the mountains of Arizona so I am keeping my fingers crossed! Good Luck!

Joan
April 8th, 2007, 11:37 AM
I planted some seed and it is up in a week! So excited about growing these.
Should they get real tall?
Hey RimRunner are you anywhere near Prescott or Sedona? My son lives in Prescott Valley and plays guitar in Sedona restaurants

Rim Runner
April 8th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Hey Joan! They should get pretty tall - 6 feet or thereabouts! I live in the NE part of Arizona... it's about 4 hours away from Sedona/Prescott. My folks live in Prescott though! Sedona is a beautiful place! All that red rock is so pretty! Good luck with your hollyhock!

flowerpower
April 9th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Rim Runner, Isn't the White Mtn area one of the few places that gets snow in AZ?

Joan
April 9th, 2007, 03:48 PM
flowerpower, my son said he heard he could go a little north of Prescott to ski. Hasn't had time yet!

Rim Runner
April 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM
@ joan and flowerpower:

It does snow up here! Joan's son can ski up in Flagstaff and we have a ski resort not far from here. I am at over 6500 here. Most people think Arizona is all sand and cactus! But we have the largest stand of ponderosa pines in my neighborhood. It's up on the Colorado Plateau - it's called the Mogollon Rim! My place is right on the edge of the rim... Sorry to go off topic!

moonlilyhead
April 9th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I just loooove hollyhocks! One year mine got up to six feet. I like the singles rather than the doubles. Mine bloomed around early June. But they died from an unknown reason. I can't figure out how they can do so great one year and completely die out the next. Anybody know?

onmyknees
April 9th, 2007, 07:28 PM
my hollyhocks are bieniel

flowerpower
April 10th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Since HH are biennial, you have to plant seed at least 2 yrs in a row.

Joan
April 10th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I had some that died out also moonlilyhead. The only thing I did differently that year on my part was to take the seedheads off so I could use as trade for other seeds. I had a single black and a double yellow that looked so pretty together. Right now I am germinating a single white.

moonlilyhead
April 10th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Well, when I couldn't figure out what happened, I asked my boyfriend where he was "watering the flowers" at night, thinking maybe he "poisoned" them. Course, he said it was dark, so how should he know what he hit? I had taken the seedheads off each year, so I don't think that could be it...Yellow and black would be lovely together! I like the "fuschia pink" that's been around for ages. Reminds me of my grandmother...

bluelacedredhead
April 10th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Flowerpower, will they grow the first year and just not bloom??
What about self seeding?? Any chance of that?
One year I ordered some beautiful apricot coloured ones from Parks Seed. I couldn't get them to grow at all. Gave some seed to someone else. Theirs grew, but their lawn maintenance guy took them out with the whippersnipper. Great inventions when they are in the proper hands.

Mamasaphire
April 24th, 2007, 08:48 AM
all the flower combos y'all have mentioned sound beautiful!

I am new to hollyhocks -- a friend gave me some seeds 2 years ago, but I didn't get them planted. I was thinking to try and see if some will still germinate (they've been in a glass baby food jar).

What kind of soil do they need? Ours is pretty hard clay, but I could mix some manure in. And are they all full sun? With out any instructions on the jar I am lost :confused:

moonlilyhead
April 25th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Yes, hollyhocks need FULL sun. They'll thrive. And good drainage...Might want to be prepared to stake them if they get real tall. I would say to definately loosen the ground a bit with something, although mine did great in soil with alot of clay.

Mamasaphire
April 25th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Our soil is clay -- I went to Lowes yesterday and bought some 'manure compost' (no one seems to sell compost in our area -- but by next year we'll have plenty of our own homemade, hopefully), so anyway, I'll enrich the soil with that and plant them in full sun.

Thanks for the advice!!

Gean
April 25th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I just loooove hollyhocks! One year mine got up to six feet. I like the singles rather than the doubles. Mine bloomed around early June. But they died from an unknown reason. I can't figure out how they can do so great one year and completely die out the next. Anybody know?

FROM WHAT IVE READ HOLLYHOCKS ARE SHORT LIVED PERRIENNIELS YOU HAVETO KEEP REPLANTING. WHAT I HAVE ALWAYS GROWN DONT BLOOM THE FIRST YEAR.THEY ARE REALLY PRETTY FLOWERS BUT I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE PART WHERE THEY DIE AND YOU HAVE TO KEEP REPLANTING.ALL THOW I DID RUN ACROSS SOME BURGANDY COLORED ONES THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL.MY SISTER HAS BLACK, VERY PRETTY

Mamasaphire
April 25th, 2007, 12:35 PM
FROM WHAT IVE READ HOLLYHOCKS ARE SHORT LIVED PERRIENNIELS YOU HAVETO KEEP REPLANTING. WHAT I HAVE ALWAYS GROWN DONT BLOOM THE FIRST YEAR.THEY ARE REALLY PRETTY FLOWERS BUT I DONT KNOW ABOUT THE PART WHERE THEY DIE AND YOU HAVE TO KEEP REPLANTING.ALL THOW I DID RUN ACROSS SOME BURGANDY COLORED ONES THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL.MY SISTER HAS BLACK, VERY PRETTY

From what I've read they often self sow, so if you plant them for two years in a row they should keep going for quite a long while. No personal experience here though....

dirtundernails
April 25th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Oh, yes- they do self sow! A lot.

moonlilyhead
April 26th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Yes, mine always self-sowed, that's why I was so confused why they suddenly didn't and disappeared.:(

emilie
April 26th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Question- anyone have a pic of a hollyhock sprout? I planted a few seeds in a few places and I am just not sure if I have any coming up or not?
Or a good description...
I keep checking and I just don't know what to look for! lol.
Em