PDA

View Full Version : Processing time for 1/2 gallon canning jars

t2000kw
July 16th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Does anyone here use 1/2 gallon canning jars? If so, how much additional time do you add for processing them in a boiling water bath?

I see in my Putting Food By book that for some foods (using the hot pack method), 15 minutes is used for pints, an additional 10 minutes for quarts. Would an additional 20 minutes be sufficient, or too much/little for a 1/2 gallon jar?

That book does not recommend using this jar size, by the way, or it would have provided the additional time needed. The reason given is that it would take too long to cook the contents all the way into the center of the jar, allowing some of the product to be overcooked. Otherwise, it would leave some product that wasn't cooked thoroughly enough in the center.

If you've used both the cold pack and hot pack methods with 1/2 gallon canning jars, I would be interested in how you've adjusted the processing time for the additional mass of the larger jar contents?

Thanks!!!

Donald

t2000kw
July 16th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I've only canned pickles (sweet and dill) before, so any advice is welcome!

Donald

Michelle8
July 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM
What are you canning? Are you canning it where the produce is already hot, and the jars and the rings/lids are also hot?

reavilh
July 17th, 2010, 09:58 AM
I have used the 1/2 gallon jars for pickles but thats about it. I took the time recommended for qts. X 2, then added 5 minutes for safety. Worked out good for me.

ultralitefarmer
July 19th, 2010, 02:08 PM
national center for home canning food preservation
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html#16a
What can I process in half-gallon canning jars?
At least one canning jar manufacturer is selling half-gallon canning jars. That manufacturer has a printed note on the top that says half-gallon jars are only used for some highly acidic foods in a boiling water canner, with instructions to call a toll-free number for the instructions. When we last called, the only choices are grape juice and apple juice, as we also recommend.

The only processes that USDA, the National Center for Home Food Preservation and the University of Georgia have to recommend for half-gallon jars are for very acidic fruit juices (and juice only): Apple Juice (http://www.homefoodpreservation.com/how/can_02/apple_juice.html) and Grape Juice (http://www.homefoodpreservation.com/how/can_02/grape_juice.html). This process time is not to be used for tomato juice, for example.

There are no other research-tested processes for half-gallon jars. Boiling water processes for other foods for jars larger than those published with recipes (usually pints and/or quarts) cannot be extended by any formula to a larger jar.

We are aware that there are historical recommendations for canning foods in half-gallon jars. However, these are not currently accepted or endorsed by the USDA, Cooperative Extension System or U.S. manufacturers of home canning jars.

gypsybiscuit
July 22nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
I use my 1/2 gallon jars for 3 specific purposes. First, to infuse vinegars, but only for the infusion process not the sealed/storing part of the process. Second, to store veggies/fruits I've dried in the dehydrator. Third, to carry/deliver homemade soup as gifts to work, sick friends, parents of newborns, etc. And the gift recipients are always told that the jars are NOT sealed for storage but should be used right away.

Emerald
July 22nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
I have quite a few and only use them for storing my rice and specialty flours like rye and rice and chickpea, most of mine are the wide mouth ones and I have that attachment on my food saver that I use to take the air out.
Oh and I have made good sun tea with them too!:D

t2000kw
July 25th, 2010, 08:15 AM
What I intended to use them for involved foods like pickles, pepperoncini peppers, and sauerkraut. I think these are all acidic. I can make them a bit more so with some vinegar. The pickles I'm not concerned about since they are very acidic.

t2000kw
July 25th, 2010, 08:16 AM
There are no other research-tested processes for half-gallon jars. Boiling water processes for other foods for jars larger than those published with recipes (usually pints and/or quarts) cannot be extended by any formula to a larger jar.

We are aware that there are historical recommendations for canning foods in half-gallon jars. However, these are not currently accepted or endorsed by the USDA, Cooperative Extension System or U.S. manufacturers of home canning jars.

That's the information I read in my food preservation book also.