PDA

View Full Version : Carrot flowering in its first year

Pronghorn
July 28th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I planted carrots earlier this year and one of them is shooting up a central stock and getting ready to flower. I planted them in a different area from where I planted carrots last year so I'm a bit perplexed. Is this an anomaly that happens on occasion? I'm wondering if anyone else has any knowledge of this happening. Can I eat the carrot after it's gone to flower?

mjc
July 28th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I planted them in a different area from where I planted carrots last year so I'm a bit perplexed. Is this an anomaly that happens on occasion?

Yes and don't even think about saving seeds from it...

Can I eat the carrot after it's gone to flower?

If you are a termite, maybe...it will be extremely tough and woody, probably bitter, too.

SpaceAge
July 28th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Yes and don't even think about saving seeds from it...

Why ...???

If you are a termite, maybe...it will be extremely tough and woody, probably bitter, too.
:confused:

mjc
July 28th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Carrots are a biennial...first year flowering is not a trait to 'encourage'.

reubenT
July 28th, 2010, 11:23 PM
happened to me last year, had a few carrots that got planted in pots, put them out and they grew good,and then a couple of them bloomed. however transplanting carrots is not the thing to do, they tasted good and got big roots but the roots were short and all crazy shaped, lots of grooves and hard to clean. they put down a tap root fast, got interrupted by the pot bottom and never got over it.

SpaceAge
July 29th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Carrots are a biennial...first year flowering is not a trait to 'encourage'.

So all of the bazzillions of seed pods I've been saving are junk ...??? :eek::(

mjc
July 29th, 2010, 11:52 AM
In your case...maybe...

Didn't you have some overwinter?

There is a trick you can use to get even first year biennials to flower and be safe...make them think they've gone through a winter. If they were started early enough in the spring and then experienced a cold snap, they will think winter has come and gone.

A single flowering plant out of a row that is not flowering is more likely the anomaly, while a whole row of them flowering at once is more likely they thought winter has come and gone.

Biennials don't really work on our calendar years, but rather on seasons...growing...dormant...growing/flowering. And the triggers don't have to be months long...a few weeks to send them dormant between the growing seasons is enough.

So, Dan, your seed should be good...because they are all flowering, even though they haven't been in the ground for quite two years...because they 'think' they are in their second year.

SpaceAge
July 29th, 2010, 12:20 PM
OK ...

If I understand you correctly then I'm probably OK in that I planted these last August , they went through a freezing ( multiple ) Winter and a spring again to a Summer then Bolted ...

see = for more info

http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33466

mjc
July 29th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Yes, Dan you are fine...I reviewed that thread...you did it right.

So, just how much Flakkee seed did you get?

SpaceAge
July 29th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Yes, Dan you are fine...I reviewed that thread...you did it right.

So, just how much Flakkee seed did you get?

First pull is a Gallon ZipLock about a 1/4 full ... a giant Cheech & Chong LID

but I can pull 10 x that shortly as pods mature / dry ...

my main concern is that I am fulfilling some seed "trades" where my side is Carrot seed ...

don't wanna send on bogus seed ...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

mjc
July 29th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Should be good to go...

It has had its grow/dormant/grow-again-flower cycle, so there are no problems there.

GunnarSK
July 29th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I planted carrots earlier this year and one of them is shooting up a central stock and getting ready to flower. I planted them in a different area from where I planted carrots last year so I'm a bit perplexed. Is this an anomaly that happens on occasion? I'm wondering if anyone else has any knowledge of this happening. Can I eat the carrot after it's gone to flower?
Normally this doesn't happen, because (as mjc said) carrots are biennial. I had it occur to one of my "Snow White"s from Baker Creek last year, but not to the locally purchased ones: orange (multiple) yellow (Lobo) "red" (Krystyna, skin only).
Maybe the white varieties are closer to European wild carrots (Queen Anne's lace) and therefore more prone to bolting than coloured ones, but I don't know (and you didn't tell what kind of carrot you had bolt).

grapenut
July 29th, 2010, 06:15 PM
[QUOTE=mjc;582775]In your case...maybe...

Didn't you have some overwinter?

There is a trick you can use to get even first year biennials to flower and be safe...make them think they've gone through a winter. If they were started early enough in the spring and then experienced a cold snap, they will think winter has come and gone.

I agree