PDA

View Full Version : White cucumbers??

buttercup69
August 17th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Anyone have any idea why some of my cucumbers are almost completely white? I'm growing bush type and no they are not suppose to be white, LOL. Thanks

LaurieLou
August 17th, 2010, 05:47 PM
What kind exactly are they? Did you start the seed yourself?

buttercup69
August 18th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Yes I planted them myself. It is a regular bush type.

VA Gardener
August 18th, 2010, 06:34 PM
There are some white cukes out there. I grew Ellen's Family White this year. What is the name of the one you grew?

gixxerific
August 19th, 2010, 07:35 AM
That is a good question sorry I don't have many answers.

I have a bunch that aren't totally white but are not greening up like they should. Could it be the stress from all the heat we are getting?

I also have some Hmong Red that are very white (they are supposed to be at first) but they are not turning their supposed orange color either.:(

buttercup69
August 19th, 2010, 09:48 PM
It is spacemaster.

buttercup69
August 19th, 2010, 09:55 PM
That is a good question sorry I don't have many answers.

I have a bunch that aren't totally white but are not greening up like they should. Could it be the stress from all the heat we are getting?

I also have some Hmong Red that are very white (they are supposed to be at first) but they are not turning their supposed orange color either.:(

I suppose the heat could be a factor but some are green to light green. I was also thinking soil ph and fertility Then you have those that are white!!! Despite the color issues they have a very lovely scent and yummy taste.

bgodfrey
August 20th, 2010, 03:00 PM
I am growing Poona Kheera cukes, which in one plot are in full/partial sun and radically colored. In another plot they are in nearly full shade and they are all completely white. I believe it is all about amount of sun. Perhaps it is also soil differences as well. However both taste great and I love the color contrasts in salads :)

buttercup69
August 22nd, 2010, 10:03 AM
I am growing Poona Kheera cukes, which in one plot are in full/partial sun and radically colored. In another plot they are in nearly full shade and they are all completely white. I believe it is all about amount of sun. Perhaps it is also soil differences as well. However both taste great and I love the color contrasts in salads :)

That's the bottom line............ taste. I was also thinking sun could be a factor also. the get noon and afternoon sun.

sue loves seeds
November 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
:oAnyone have any idea why some of my cucumbers are almost completely white? I'm growing bush type and no they are not suppose to be white, LOL. Thanks

there ARE WHITE CUCUMBERS AND EVEN LEMON CUCUMBERS . AM GONNA TRY AND FIND THEM FOR NEXT SUMMER :o()