PDA

View Full Version : What Can You Plant in a Stump?

bluelacedredhead
May 4th, 2007, 04:10 PM
We have a few stumps in the backyard leftover from a cedar hedge gone wild before we bought the property.

Some are cut down to ground level.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/bluelacedredhead/CameraDownloads092.jpg
Others are about a foot tall in a grouping.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/bluelacedredhead/CameraDownloads091.jpg
I'm thinking that they might make attractive vessels for flowers around the lawn??

Ideas Pleezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lavandula Girl
May 4th, 2007, 04:16 PM
How big are they? I planted french tarragon and silver thyme in a stump in the front yard, and begonias in another. Another has hens and chicks in it. I think they look really nice with something planted in them. I actually have a big, tree sized one, from a mulberry, that I might ream out a bit and add soil to. Then I could grow something pretty good sized, maybe even a pumpkin vine.

bluelacedredhead
May 4th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Needs to be something compact. The stumps are a good 10" in diameter, but they are in a high traffic area of the back yard. I trip over them regularly coming back from the fire pit. And anything viney would be driven over by us trying to get to the garden and back. I know. I've tried for years to grow berry bushes within 3 feet of that area...

Lavandula Girl
May 4th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Sunny? Shady? What about those steppable groundcovers? Something with a nice fragrance, maybe?

bluelacedredhead
May 4th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Full sun. Must be impervious to chicken attacks...

Cliff Timmons
May 4th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Stupid chick attacks!

bluelacedredhead
May 4th, 2007, 04:38 PM
No, Chickens are my Friends. :) I've just learned to work with them through the years ;)

Ducks ate all our onions and garlic and chives...
Geese ate anything that had red flowers like Bergamot or Echinacea

Chickens dustbathed in anything bright coloured that was up against the house, without thorns, like Black Eyed Susans...But they left the climbing rosebush alone...

and the turkeys love the leaves on the Rhubarb plants??

bluelacedredhead
May 4th, 2007, 04:40 PM
What about Candytuft?? It's colourful for sure and dainty looking? Or Sweet William??

Lavandula Girl
May 4th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Those would be pretty, or maybe Liriope (lilyturf) or Ajuga (bugleweed). They both like full sun, and can stand some abuse. Both of these have purple flower spikes, so maybe the geese won't eat them. If the chickens do decide to roll around all over them, they probably won't do much damage (if my 100 lb upland lab doesn't, I can't imagine a 10 lb hen will, but then, he doesn't have a beak!)

bluelacedredhead
May 4th, 2007, 06:18 PM
OOps, guess I should explain that we only have Chickens and Turkeys that have free range of the yard anymore..
The ducks and geese have been gone for several years...

dirtundernails
May 4th, 2007, 07:16 PM
The chickens left zinnias and cosmos alone in our yard last year. Not a guarantee, of course.

Sandbar
May 5th, 2007, 11:24 PM
How about 5 pounds of black gunpowder and a 50' fuse? :D

johno
May 6th, 2007, 01:22 AM
You beat me to it... I was going to recommend nitroglycerin.

jennyz
May 6th, 2007, 03:34 AM
BLRH, I thought you could burn a stump out???? Then you'd have the ash to mix into the soil-and a fresh hole to actually plant something in, instead of wondering if something other than termites will grow in your stump. Just a thought....:rolleyes:

bluelacedredhead
May 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Yep all of your ideas are valid, but I'm not to be trusted with Nitro or matches :p
Besides, a guy down the road tried to burn out a stump at his house and um, several acres later.....This one's just too close to the house to take a chance.

So I just thought I'd take the more passive approach and purty them up.

TastyofHasty
May 6th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Are those stumps FAVORED chicken digs?

Joan
May 6th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Ajuga is a good suggestion, I filled in with impatience but they like a lot of shade more than sun, how about crepe myrtle, pretty leaves. I'd sit a pretty pot on the stumps.

winter_unfazed
May 8th, 2007, 09:06 AM
It's not impatience, it's "impatiens".

Anyway, I've planted honeysuckle in a maple stump, and considered catnip there as well because its relative, deadnettle, was found growing there.

Cliff Timmons
May 8th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I don't know about the flowers but,...

If you need to burn out a stump, dig out around it then pour charcoal brickettes around the base. Light it up like you would a BBQ grill then put a piece of tin or a bucket over the top and go do something else, like plan what you want to put in the hole that will be left.

bluelacedredhead
May 8th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Yes Tasty, it's readily accessible to our poultry. Also sometimes gets driven over the way to the garden, so pots are out Joan..

Catnips a thought, but it grows all around our wellhouse, so nothing exciting there, lol.

I just had a thought? What about a small stand of Thyme?? Think that would grow in a stump?? It can be ornamental.

winter_unfazed
May 8th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Thyme is in the same family, so it might very well work.

bluelacedredhead
May 8th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Thanks Jeffery, I started a pot of thyme for my herb garden (doesn't overwinter well some years). But I should have enough seed left in the packet that I could make another small pot or two for the stumps. :)

Lavandula Girl
May 8th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Hey! What am I, chopped liver?! I said thyme in my very first response! :D I guess I should be less wordy.... it got lost in the scintillating prose! :rolleyes:

bluelacedredhead
May 8th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Soreeeeeeeeeeee Lav. It was the mention of pumpkins and vines that drew my attention immediately away from Thyme...It might have been the Silver too? The brain just skipped right over the word thyme thinking you were talking about something else?? DUH..Sorry..

So while I'm grovelling, what is Silver Thyme anyway?

Cliff Timmons
May 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM
You have a lot of thyme on your hands?

bluelacedredhead
May 8th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Seems that way doesn't it? :)

Lavandula Girl
May 8th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I was just messing with you, Blue - I had to read back through to see if I'd actually said 'thyme', or just imagined I did! :D Silver thyme is Thymus argentus. It's that pretty gray-green color, and each leaf is perfectly outlined in white. very pretty. There's also creeping lemon thyme, which is really low growing, and smells like lemon (Pledge polish, really) very strongly when you step on it!

bluelacedredhead
May 8th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Oh goodie, when I trip over the stumps I get to smell liked I've just waxed the furniture? Now there's a bonus... :D

Lavandula Girl
May 8th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Oh goodie, when I trip over the stumps I get to smell liked I've just waxed the furniture? Now there's a bonus... :D

Only if you roll around like a chicken after you fall, but look at the bright side... people will think you've been multi tasking!

HOD
May 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I don't know... I guess I'm stumped.

Mistletoe? 'shrooms? Some sort of fungi?

HOD.

moonlilyhead
May 8th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I'd definately plant sedum. Even though it's a ground cover, my yellow-flowering sedum gets up to six inches tall and hangs nicely over the side of small planters. I don't know how well it would do in Ontario, though. It sure does like the heat...

Fred
May 8th, 2007, 09:05 PM
there is a plant called hen and chicks,which is commonly grown in pots with holes in the sides, i bet would work. and it would make a conversation piece.

flowerpower
May 9th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Sedum overwinters fine here in NY. I think it would live in Blue's area.

Eric
May 9th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Easy way to get rid of a small stump like that is to just bury it with some active soil, and wait a season. Last year (late summer.early fall) I buried a similarly sized stump from an ugly bush the previous owners had and last week I was able to just break it out of the soil with a little leverage (small 4x4 wedged it out). It was on its way to being rotted and was weak enough that it broke away without any fuss.

Course that takes patience, many smaller stumps I just dig below the surface and cut so they aren't tripping hazards.

Lavandula Girl
May 10th, 2007, 01:25 PM
So Blue - have you made a stump decision? I was outside by the mulberry stump in the back yard, (the monster one) and what should I see growing from the crack in the top? Some sort of squash! I thought of you. It's probably a pumpkin, from my son's efforts to clean one out there last fall. I think there's a sunflower coming up, too. The stump's about 3 feet wide, and almost that tall. Still trying to turn back into a tree.

Here's a pick of one of my "imported stumps" (I cut up a hollow log, and use it for planters in the front.)

Rising Sun Organics
May 10th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Stupid chick attacks!

heh....

bluelacedredhead
May 10th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Now I know I shoulda bought some hens and chicks when they were on sale at the grocery store a week or two ago. DUH

ghostwriter
May 11th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the tip, now I know where to put my catnip. :D

moonlilyhead
May 11th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Rising Sun Organics, that is one of my all-time favorite songs! (Southern Cross)

bluelacedredhead
May 11th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Mine Too!!

Bird
February 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Hi,
I had a stump that had rotted some and I was able to remove some of the decaying material to make a shallow basin in the center. Then I transplanted some of my Shasta Daisies in the center. They have grown beautifully now for two years. I added dragon's blood sedum around the base last spring and it started filling in and looks great with the daisies.

springfever
February 20th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I have a stump that I planted honeysuckle around and it grows over the stump. I keep it cut and under control and it smells sooooo good.

onmyknees
February 26th, 2008, 10:05 PM
my wood cutting hubby indulges my enthusiasm for hollow logs and i have a few stumps around too
every spring when i put the house plants out I put cuttings of wandering jew spiderplant or sweedish ivy in stumps, a friend of mine put old yard tactor tires on top of her stumps and grows similar plants in them since the aren't hollow. in others I grow thyme and sage and oregano

hikingonthru
March 4th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Herbs! LOTSA HERBS!

tughillcam
March 4th, 2008, 10:28 AM
That is THE BEST stuff to plant something in - that is some black gold right there.

springfever
March 4th, 2008, 02:17 PM
We just had some trees cut, so I was wondering what to do with at least the stumps that line the driveway and close to the house. A friend came down and cut them closer to the ground and said I should put flowers on them. Since they are new, I thought I'd try to find some old wash tubs, etc. and fill them with some good soil and plant stuff in them. I love all these ideas. I especially like the idea of herbs!! The best tomatoes I have ever grown were in tubs that a friend of mine gave me, they had held cow feed and were big and I couldn't believe how good those tomato and pepper plants did.