PDA

View Full Version : Homemade bug killers

TastyofHasty
June 4th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Found this "to control aphids, beet armyworms, spider mites, and whiteflies:"

Combine 1 cup of cooking oil with 1 tablespoon of liquid dishwashing detergent. Add 1-1/2 teaspoons of the mixture to 1 cup of water.

I think I'll try a shrunk-down version: 1/3 cup cooking oil, 1 TEAspoon liquid dishwashing detergent, add 1-1/2 teaspoons to 1 cup of water.

Anybody with any homemade bug killers or repellants, please post!:D (Especially if you KNOW they work, from EXPERIENCE!)

hikingonthru
June 4th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Takes a little foreplanning, BUT geta trap plant and when it is all covered over good with the little boogers slip a plastic bag over this and pull it out being sure the critters stay in the bag. Dump the plant with the bugs on it in a tub of some sort and douse with near boiling water....Just enough to cover the bugs. Shake the plant to release bugs. Skim bug bodies and dip about 1-2 quarts of the hot water to pout over them. whirl the bugs up with a bit of water in a processor (dedicated garden processor kept OUT of the kitchen if I know what is good for me). Take this bug juice and dilute with some of the retained water. Strain well, Put in sprayer and spray any other bugs with it. It seems if whatever bug you want to kill is there, using its kin can kill it!
Not a oneshot deal, but seems really effective.

Then, probably most things are when steadily applied over time!

carolg
June 5th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Thanks for sharing. I think Jerry Baker has lots of remedies. I don't know book name. Maybe someone can share that name here too and also remedies.

I'm still back in the mouse control days. I was getting ready for garage sale this Fri/Sat., best days here, and the mice had a party as uninvited guests. It looks tempting their last days are being numbered as I have one more box of poison and will spread their dinner or dessert out in the garage for them. They sure make a mess. I'm on a rampage like a killer who went wild to catch the pests.

carolg colorado 5

Cliff Timmons
June 5th, 2007, 11:20 AM
This is going to sound nuts and I've argued it until I am blue in the face but every year my Momma had tomato plants and when the bugs start in on them she sprinkles flour on the plants. She says the bugs think it's Seven dust and stay away. "Like a bug can think."

The problem is, it works for her and I can't convince her otherwise. <grin>

LaRae
June 5th, 2007, 03:37 PM
You know though...the flour might well kill them, if they ingest it maybe it causes dysentery or something....hmmmmm

LaRae

Cliff Timmons
June 5th, 2007, 04:58 PM
You know though...the flour might well kill them, if they ingest it maybe it causes dysentery or something....hmmmmm

LaRae

Stay away from my momma!

Geez, I'll never hear the end of it if you're right. <grin>

LaRae
June 5th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Stay away from my momma!

Geez, I'll never hear the end of it if you're right. <grin>

I have simply GOT to go have lunch with your momma and your wife <EG>

LaRae

johno
June 5th, 2007, 06:03 PM
As it turns out, LaRae IS right. Sorry, Cliff!

LaRae
June 5th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Well you don't need to act surprised about it <G> I'm right more than I'm wrong!

I can't wait to hear what Cliff's momma has to say about this!

LaRae

Mary
June 5th, 2007, 09:40 PM
What does a potato beetle look like? I thought they had stripes, anyway I have some dark orange bugs on my potato plants and they don't have stripes or spots.I've been killing them, but would like to be able to have something on the plant to kill them, and I mean organic and safe.I have a toad in the garden but he isn't working fast enough.That flour your talking about, would self rising flour be best?

LaRae
June 5th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) would take care of those types of bugs and be harmless to a toad.

LaRae

fawnmeadow
June 5th, 2007, 11:09 PM
My FIL used to have me mix lime and water and spray it on my potato plants to kill the bugs. I haven't done that in a long, long time but it used to work.
Phyllis

bluelacedredhead
June 5th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I have a liquid lime solution that can be used as a soil amendment or a foliar spray..I'll have to try your suggestion when the potato beetles come out to play, Thanx FM

Cliff Timmons
June 6th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) would take care of those types of bugs and be harmless to a toad.

LaRae

Your Diatomaceous Earth hasn't worked on my ants yet!
They are worse then ever!
I incircled the house and porch with the stuff. It looks like a flour bomb went off and still they come marching in 4 ranks deep.

I even set off three bombs under the house and sprayed inside all at the same time.

Grrrr.

I may go back to pouring motor oil arond the foundation .

"The Devil made me say that." <grin>

LaRae
June 6th, 2007, 07:53 AM
I don't want to meet those ants Cliff!!!

All those chemicals are creating super ants <G>

LaRae

Cliff Timmons
June 6th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I could have sworn last night as I was drifting off to sleep I heard in a little ant voice,... "FIX BAYONETS!"

Frankly I'm scared to death.

LaRae
June 6th, 2007, 08:25 AM
You better go talk to your momma about bug control <G>

LaRae

Cliff Timmons
June 6th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Next time I see my Momma, I'm gonna slap her. <grin>

LaRae
June 6th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Heh...we won't be seeing you again then.

LaRae

Cliff Timmons
June 6th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Oh, you know her do you? <grin>

You're right.

LaRae
June 6th, 2007, 10:25 AM
I know <G>

LaRae

Cliff Timmons
June 6th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Sorry about the high-jack of the thread.

I'd like to know some home made bug killers for these ants.

LaRae
June 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM
I thought you were gonna use motor oil?

Boric Acid mixed with sugar syrup is effective. They carry it back to the colony and feed the queen with it, and other ants, then they die.

You can buy a product at the store called 'terro' that is basically that. Works well.

LaRae

Cliff Timmons
June 6th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I like the sound of Boric Acid.

Sounds like some kind of Siberian secret killer or something.

TastyofHasty
June 6th, 2007, 01:16 PM
wow, just read the WHO-O-O-L-E thing.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-12110254.html
To eliminate all routes ants might use, prune away tree branches that touch the ground, walls, or other trees. Then apply a sticky barrier around trunks of trees and shrubs.

Keep in mind that ants are survivors, and almost anything you do to kill them will only disrupt them for a time. Baits such as half-and-half mixtures of sugar with epsom salts or boric acid help, as do traps containing nontoxic or low-toxicity chemicals such as boric acid or hydramethylnon (sold as Combat). Ants are very susceptible to insecticidal soap sprays, which also wash away their trails.

One novel approach is to feed them. Put a bowl of sugar or fallen fruit near their nest; well-fed ants are much easier to live with than ones you're trying to kill.

Not all ants protect insect pests. Red ants kill some pests, but they don't bother beneficials, and they suppress Argentine ants.

Hey, red ants may even suppress CHIGGERS, somebody said.:)

carolg, last weekend at a garage sale, a young woman was selling a ferret for $100. Its name was Buddy ... I got to hold it, it was kind of sweet! ... she paid over $300 for it ... her landlord won't let her keep it where she's moving to ... we could probably find her again so you could get in touch if you ... might want to buy a ferret?

LaRae
June 6th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I like the sound of Boric Acid.

Sounds like some kind of Siberian secret killer or something.

Yep you too can save your family from the ant invasion!!!!!!

Speaking of Siberians...I got my Russian queens in the mail today! I bought some loose bees (basically a package without a queen) from Harry over in Bolivar...heading over to his place Sat to create 2 new hives!! Yeah!!

LaRae

windsng225
June 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM
OK, I know flour works for grasshoppers, they eat the flour and it gets gummy and dry's and glue's their mouth's shut, and they die. That works for me.

Also, for ants. Cinnimon! Ant's won't cross the cinnimon, they just won't go through it. So if you dose your foundation with a lot of cinnimon you won't have any ants. Also, you can usually see where they are coming in, start there and go all around. When it's getting ready to rain, I see ants, so I bring out the cinnimon and dose the kitchen with it and they just seem to disapear.
joyce

TastyofHasty
June 10th, 2007, 09:50 AM
okay ... thanks, Joyce! good thing I stocked up on Wally-World cheap 50-cent cinnamon ... maybe I'll mix some in some soapy water & try spraying the fenugreek, which has been infested with aphids & their attendant ants ...

windsng225
June 10th, 2007, 10:04 AM
TOh, I don't know if it works as a liquid. I do know that it works dry. Of course I have never tried it mixed with anything. Let me know if it works wet, although I can't see it mixing with anything unless it's hot. Cinnimon does not mix well in anything cold, hot yes.
joyce

Cliff Timmons
June 11th, 2007, 08:27 AM
My Wife is now known in Polk County as the Boric Acid Queen.

She's gone nuts but it seems to be working!

windsng225
June 11th, 2007, 08:41 AM
LOL, well, you've done it again, made my day!
joyce

carolg
June 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Hey all,
I'm back finally. Garage sale flop and prep was a long process, a bad cold still fighting, my temporary eye tooth on top crown fell out but pushed it back in, my firend gave me few hours notice he would love to stay at my house while he is making presentations so sick as I was shocked myself to a presentation "pile" filled hiding spots to make room for his sleeping here and now gone unless tonight's room offer is taken back. He could be back tonight so no sheet washing.

garden talk:

Aphids are in full swing!!!! They already killed two of my tomato plants. I thought I used soapy water on them.

I'm going to try the oil thing and I suppose it's olive oil they will enjoy.

I can try using my own suggestions: Dishliquid and water..need to spray them on the plants. Either way, aphids are going to die today. Never had it but on a plant or two, but now they are being attacked.

My cukes got winded over by the 2 days and think some are history.

carolg z5 colorado

johno
June 13th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I decided to fight my urge to kill the aphids, and sure enough, ladybugs and lacewings took care of them for me!

D'Butterfly
June 14th, 2007, 12:13 AM
I decided to fight my urge to kill the aphids, and sure enough, ladybugs and lacewings took care of them for me!

Same for me. I have been battling aphids and the fire ants who love them for several years. This year, I have been distracted by a number of fires and have not been watchi8ng as closely as usual. I went to the bean patch and found brown aphids eating the tender young butterbean pods. I picked two beans and fed them to my new flock of chickens. When I went back to find more of the goodies for the hens, I found three lady beetles and one lacewing having a meal, so I just left them there. Two days later, no aphids in this patch! These beneficials work fast, I tell you what.

peace

TastyofHasty
June 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I took the cinnamon bottle (with a shaker top) and just shook a scattering of cinnamon over my pot of fenugreek that was getting eaten by aphids with many ants coursing around all over it; next day, only a few confused ants wandering around in there, a few aphids at the top of one fenugreek plant, the rest of the aphids are GONE!

TastyofHasty
June 14th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Found this Jerry Baker recipe for black spot on roses online at:
http://www.recipezaar.com/151731

Black Spot Remover for Roses
Recipe #151731
Black spot fungus can kill your rose plants overnight. But it's easy to fix with this recipe. From Jerry Baker's book Backyard Problem Solver. The recipe says tomatoes, leaves-it calls for tomato leaves.

5 leaves tomatoes
2 small onions
1/4 cup rubbing alcohol

1. Chop the tomato leaves and onions into finely minced pieces. Steep them in the alcohol overnight.
2. Paint the mix on both the tops and bottoms of any infected rose leaves.

TastyofHasty
June 14th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Link to GardenWeb discussion about Jerry Baker recipes:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tips/msg1010310832294.html

One person says to others who don't like the Baker recipes:

My guess that 99% of the failed JB recipies are from users failure to read and follow instructions.

IE Using soap, the old fashioned dishsoap or baby shampoo, Folks had made their plants sick using Ultra or Anti bacterial soap, or PT409, NOT Bakers fault.

I know one that is supposed to be 1 TBSP of clorox in 5 gal of water, the user used half clorox and half water, That is not Bakers fault.

He had a mole control in essence was 1 cup of castor oil in a 20 gal hose end jar with 3 cups of water. ( 1 qt) apply every 2 weeks, One person used 1 qt of castor oil in the hose end sprayer, applied daily, then complained her lawn stunk. This is not Bakers fault.

One gal complained that her 7 year old brother drank some tobacco juice, Baker did not leave the Tobacco juice where her brother could reach it, her parents did, Take personal responsiblity for your own mistakes. ( be thankful it wasn't Sevin)

I have seen about 50 of these, each problem was the user mix.

So before I condem it, I want to know what's his formula, and exactly what you used and how often did you use it.

This reminds me SO much of what I'm reading now ... Harry Potter in "Potions" Class ... the class is trying to make some magical potion but people don't read the recipes properly and/or don't follow directions somehow, and their potions do all sorts of funny things.:D

Here's a link to a site w/some JB "Tonic" recipes and a bunch of plants and bugs and what to do about 'em:
http://www.jerrybaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=2

windsng225
June 14th, 2007, 01:30 PM
TOH, you are so right! People sometimes only glance over the recipe and I guess figure that more would be better or more powerfull. And what happens is that it fails or makes the plants sick.
joyce

carolg
June 15th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Okay pros...you shared about ladybugs but where is best, possibly least expensive place to buy these and other ones? How much do I need? Do how often? Thanks.

carolg

johno
June 17th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Carol, don't you have any ladybugs present at all? The ones you buy are likely to fly away when you release them - not usually a good investment. It would be better if you encourage the local ones to thrive.

carolg
June 18th, 2007, 10:36 AM
John,
Sadly, no sight of even one ladybug seen. I'll have to buy today. I was using Dawn dishsoap and last night gave these plants, not all a good bath. I do want the ladybugs however here so going to buy.

After all my hard work, starting from seed, buying some plants, can't afford to lose these beauties to the aphids.

carolg colorado z5

johno
June 18th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Look into lacewings while you're at it, then...

carolg
June 19th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Bought ladybugs yesterday locally, didn't see lacewings however. Rinsed down the plants last night outside sunroom, put several lady bugs out in this area and others.

Today, so far, looked by the sunroom and all but one ladybug is present. Can they all be finished eating and forgetting some aphids behind? I haven't hunted the other areas yet, but surely hope they didn't quit their job after I had all that great food for them (aphids).

Thanks.
carolg colorado

TastyofHasty
June 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I have a few ladybugs around, but ... HOW do you encourage them to thrive?

Mudman
June 20th, 2007, 02:10 AM
they need plenty of food for one, but i guessing u already neve that :(.
first, be sure u are not killing the larval ladies (they look something like a cross between a catapillar, spider and a tick w/red to piink on a spiny back).
second, interplant goldenrod, yarrow and morning glory.
lastly, patience patience patience. : )

johno
June 20th, 2007, 02:34 AM
That's a really good point about not killing the larval ladybugs! They are nasty-looking. They remind me of tiny Gila Monsters!

Mudman
June 20th, 2007, 08:21 PM
u r right johno they do look like little heela monsters, never thought of em that way! Ha!

Cliff Timmons
June 21st, 2007, 07:16 AM
I never put the two together.

So, those are the baby ladybugs? <grin>
Well, you lean something new every day.

carolg
June 21st, 2007, 11:05 AM
I thought having tons of aphids was enough food for the ladybugs? Now I am without a ladybug out of all these. Ii didn't kill any of them either. I continue hosing them down quickly even with pricey water.
carolg colorado

windsng225
June 21st, 2007, 11:18 AM
Carol, try the cinnimon, it worked for someone here. She sprinkled it all over the plants and the next day they were gone. You have nothing to loose.
joyce

carolg
June 21st, 2007, 02:01 PM
Guess what? The aphids may have left now too by me hosing them down enough to shake up and send them somewhere else. This is all I have done since the ladybugs split the following day of release. Actually about 12 hours later after release all 1,750 minus about 3 remained home. I suppose that was the stupid ones of the bunch. I'm happy now and have left some questions about earthboxes if you want to browse over there.

http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3499&page=3&highlight=earthbox

message #21

Question about earthbox fertilizer strip. Thanks all. You are a bunch of living angels.
carolg colorado z5

Cliff Timmons
June 21st, 2007, 02:18 PM
OK, I can't find it but, did someone in here say that rabbits don't like pepper?
Is that crushed red pepper or regular black pepper?

It's pepper or .22.
They's eatin' my pole beans and okra!

moonlilyhead
June 21st, 2007, 07:37 PM
I bought lady bugs one year to eat my aphids. They were doing great for a couple of days until we had one of those late killing frosts. Froze them right to the stems.:( I think I paid four bucks for a couple thousand of them. I don't know what's taking care of my aphids now, but I haven't seen any. That Baker guy said black spot will kill roses over night. I've never seen that happen and I've had lots of black spot.
The best way I know to get rid of pests: Just stand there and pick the little suckers off, one by one, or blast them with water (and lose some leaves in the process). I hate using any kind of pesticide, because I'm so worried it will harm the beneficials.

carolg
June 22nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
Moon,
Yes, blasting them with water got best results and some resistant ones hang on for dear life and I have to squish them without any guilt. It looks like most bugs have left but not as a result of the ladybugs short overnight stay if that long.

carolg

TastyofHasty
June 24th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Regarding cinnamon, rain washed it away & ants & aphids are BACK.

carolg
June 25th, 2007, 01:57 AM
Tasty,
Bummer..............just when you think these critters are gone, they return. Good luck.
carolg