PDA

View Full Version : Do you disenfect your tomato cages?

happyhill
January 6th, 2011, 06:48 PM
If you do- why and how?

MVNewf
January 6th, 2011, 07:04 PM
I have never used cages____I only do a Florida weave with my tomatoes :)

Billy B
January 6th, 2011, 09:04 PM
No they are left out in the weather and have been used for years don't see a need to disinfect.

LuvsToPlant
January 7th, 2011, 06:01 AM
If you do- why and how?

I disenfect most of my tools etc...
Prevention is the best method.

If you have experienced diseases etc...in your garden on plants, soil...
It would be best to...

My method...a bucket of some sort filled with 10 parts water and 1 part bleach.
As far as tomato cages...the bucket should be deep enough and wide enough
to place a cage into for about 10 minutes...then turn up side down and dip that end into the bucket again, covering all parts of the cage.
:)

ps...Many diseases can winter over even the coldest regions

Garlicluvr
January 7th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I dont but besides the bleach water LuvsToPlant just mentioned sanitizing them over a fire in a burn barrel, or with propane torch etc ought to work also.

Jeff:)

Silentmeow
January 7th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I've never disinfected my cages. Guess I never thought about it! Now for the dumb question, what is the Florida weave?

LuvsToPlant
January 7th, 2011, 06:45 PM
I dont but besides the bleach water LuvsToPlant just mentioned sanitizing them over a fire in a burn barrel, or with propane torch etc ought to work also.

***giggle
That ought "ta work too!

MVNewf
January 7th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Kind of hard to describe what a Florida weave is...but here is a picture of one...scroll down and you will see posts in the ground with tomato plants growing in a single row, then you "weave" the ropes criss-cross thru each plant...it holds them up beautifully, and has great air flow... I have had 50MPH winds and my tomato plants held up perfectly ;)

http://csa.amandadevries.com/?p=86

roper2008
January 7th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I don't.

happyhill
January 8th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I use six ft tall cages made out a six ft piece of regular fencing wire. I cut the wire at different heights to make holes to pick tomatoes. When the plants are small I need to tie them but as they grow they are self supporting. This came from Dick Raymond's book- Joy of Gardening. I like it better than any other trellising system I've tried. The Fl weave didn't work too well when I tried it but maybe I didn't do it right. I posted this question because it seems as if my tomatoes are getting more diseases and sooner each year. I think I will dunk the cages in a garbage can with a bleach solution. Can't hurt.

Michelle8
January 8th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I don't have cages, I use animal fencing going the length of the row. There is no way I can soak this. I gues, I better get a torch :eek:

Little Minnie
January 8th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I just bought a flame weeder for this purpose!

LuvsToPlant
January 8th, 2011, 06:13 PM
happy...
Do you know what diseases you are getting?
Do they seem to be the same ones every season?

Disenfecting does wonders....
but do your tools too.

Most of all.... it is a good method of prevention.

Garlicluvr
January 8th, 2011, 08:02 PM
happy: A few other thoughts besides what Luvs said. Do you rotate your crops/beds? It also helps with tomatoes and fruit trees to thoroughly remove all trace of plants each season. Pull the plants and dispose of in the garbage, rake leaves and debris maybe even burn off the plot if local laws allow.

Others have also given some very good advice.

Ezzrider
January 11th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I use a spray bottle with water and bleach to disinfect my tomato cages prior to using them again. I have 16 of the Ultomato cages. A pump sprayer would work if you have a lot of area to spray. These cages are plastic coated so heating them up over a fire or torch would not work. After having various issues with diseases I started planting my tomatoes in 10 gallon squat nursery pots and not directly in the ground. The Ultomato cages fit perfectly in the pots. No issues with diseases since using the pots. I use composted horse manure in the pots which is changed each season prior to planting the tomatoes. I also disinfect the pots with water and bleach prior to use. So far I have had great success with using the pots.

grapenut
January 12th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Ezzrider, I also use a spray bottle for my cages, although I do use a bit more bleach, I also spray my pots...after I have washed them and I try to rotate every season.

Ezzrider
January 12th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Ezzrider, I also use a spray bottle for my cages, although I do use a bit more bleach, I also spray my pots...after I have washed them and I try to rotate every season.

I use a 50/50 ratio of bleach to water in my spray bottle. Like you I also wash the pots before I spray them with the bleach and water solution. I do use the same pots season to season though.

GreenZone
January 12th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I soak mine for hours in a 10 per cent bleach solution. I'm also pretty careful about hand washing, dipping tools on bleach during pruning, etc. I figure there's enough diseases out there without me spreading them around the garden!

Ezzrider
January 12th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I soak mine for hours in a 10 per cent bleach solution. I'm also pretty careful about hand washing, dipping tools on bleach during pruning, etc. I figure there's enough diseases out there without me spreading them around the garden!

One great thing about using the pots is I do not need to use any tools at all. I have no weeds in the pots and pick the tomatoes by hand. I believe if you just spray the items with a water and bleach solution and completely cover everything that would be sufficient to disinfect everything.

LuvsToPlant
January 13th, 2011, 05:49 AM

A 10 minute soak will do the job.

RozieDozie
January 13th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I'm a bleach and water girl for sure! Mine get a good soaking in bleach water. I use a blow up swimming pool that I've had for years to soak them in. I let them dry in the sun. I bleach my tools, too, and pots that I reuse.

happyhill
January 15th, 2011, 01:58 PM
What diseases could survive through the winter on the tomato cages?

grapenut
January 15th, 2011, 02:43 PM
What diseases could survive through the winter on the tomato cages?

All of them! no joke.

chilzany
January 16th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Much to think about-the only tomato I had issues with last year was the brandywine-I didn't get any useable tomatoes off it between slugs and disease. had no problems with other plants in the row. I bought the brandywine because the toms I started from seed were so tiny when I outplanted, was worried I wouldn't get anything from them at all last year. I did, but very late. good thread. thanks.

VA Gardener
April 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I just wiped my tomato cages with a bleach solution (did not measure, just poured some bleach in a bucket of water). They are drying in the sun now. Should I rinse them off with water before putting them in the garden? I will not be planting my tomatoes out for another week or two.

I did not soak the cages - don't have a big enough container to fit them in :D

Ezzrider
April 10th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Funny this should surface again right now. I just pulled up all of my tomatoes plants on Friday and sprayed all of my pots, cages and bamboo poles with a pump up sprayer filled with bleach and water. I also had some 5 gallon buckets with bleach and water and soaked my short cut PVC pipes in the bleach/water solution. I do this as I don't want to take a chance on spreading anything from the previous season to the next. Good old bleach and water. It is very cheap and will kill most anything. I just finished planting all my tomatoes and eggplants in pots late today for my spring/summer garden. I have been considering the Florida weave method but I am too stupid to figure it out and still use my pots!

LuvsToPlant
April 11th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Better safe than sorry...especialy if you have had troubles in the past!

...10 parts water...one part bleach will do the job. :)

Va..no need to rinse off
...spraying down with spray bottle will work too.

Rhody Seth
April 11th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I purified mine for several months in the winter snow.

VA Gardener
April 11th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Better safe than sorry...especialy if you have had troubles in the past!

...10 parts water...one part bleach will do the job. :)

Va..no need to rinse off
...spraying down with spray bottle will work too.

Thank you, LuvsToPlant.

How strong should the solution be for a spray bottle?

organicbaby
April 11th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I don't use cages. I use bamboo stakes to tie them to as they grow. Sometimes I've been too lazy to cut all new stakes (sshhhhh, lol) and will wipe down last season's stakes with vinegar and use some of them. Not had a problem so far (knock wood)

LuvsToPlant
April 11th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I purified mine for several months in the winter snow.
I'm afraid to say Rhody...freezing temps will not kill most bacteria and pathogens
Something to think about.

VA..same ratio.. approx 9 parts water...1 part bleach.

happyhill
April 12th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Would it work to use a garden sprayer with the bleach solution rather than soaking the cages? The sprayer would be a lot easier.

LuvsToPlant
April 13th, 2011, 05:11 AM
yes it will happyhill..you can use a sprayer