PDA

View Full Version : Left the coffee pot on at home

VA Gardener
March 8th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I was in a hurry and forgot to unplug it. It should have about 2 cups of coffee left in it (12 oz). How long will it last before going dry?

Alabamy
March 8th, 2011, 08:14 AM
If the pot has a pour lid on then it will probably take a while to evaporate. It should be ok for 6-8 hours but you might consider a model with an auto shut off or you could put it on a timer. :)

VA Gardener
March 8th, 2011, 08:20 AM
If the pot has a pour lid on then it will probably take a while to evaporate. It should be ok for 6-8 hours but you might consider a model with an auto shut off or you could put it on a timer. :)

It has a pour lid on. And my hubby will go home at lunch and unplug it. I can't believe I forgot about it. I remembered when I got to work and realized that I didn't bring a cup of coffee with me. Where was my head this morning? Now I need some caffeine. The coffee at work is one of the worst I ever tried. That's why I make my own at home. It's gonna be a long day...

halfway
March 8th, 2011, 08:35 AM
We have a Bunn with no auto shut off and left it on while we travelled 4 hours to visit relative. Of course we didn't realize until we got there.

It was a long drive for me to return, shut it off, and again return to relatives. Very expensive mistake. :)

Alabamy
March 8th, 2011, 08:49 AM
It has a pour lid on. And my hubby will go home at lunch and unplug it. I can't believe I forgot about it. I remembered when I got to work and realized that I didn't bring a cup of coffee with me. Where was my head this morning? Now I need some caffeine. The coffee at work is one of the worst I ever tried. That's why I make my own at home. It's gonna be a long day...

I think it will be ok.

axhandle
March 8th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Became very concerned about the thread, did research, calculations, and Permutations:

Summation and Conclusions on the study:

Put a sign on the maker--"Turn Me Off, or I will burn your house down"

Longtail
March 8th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Once when I was melting wax to paint a few cheddars I finished up and thought I turned the heat OFF under the wax pan, oops, I turned it on high, went out to the field and came back in about 3 hours later. Oh boy what a mess. The entire house was full of black waxy smoke/film. Coulda caught fire and burned the darn place down. end results, $8,000 in damages, all electronics had to be sent in and cleaned, everything was covered with a very fine waxy coating, all thru the house, up and down. Took a professional cleaning outfit 3 days with 3 people working to clean up. One of those dumb things we can do.

VA Gardener
March 8th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Became very concerned about the thread, did research, calculations, and Permutations:

Summation and Conclusions on the study:

ROTFLMAO :D

woodwitch
March 8th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Auto shut off is the best thing ever invented for coffee drinkers. It should be ok. I left mine on one time all day and it didn't burn down the house.

VA Gardener
March 8th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I don't think mine has an auto-shut off. It's a cheap one :o I got a 12-cup for the price of a 4-cup.

axhandle
March 8th, 2011, 08:57 AM
ROTFLMAO :D

Egyptians, Walking, Spreading--Onions--The Best--;)

VA Gardener
March 8th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Egyptians, Walking, Spreading--Onions--The Best--;)

I will take your word for it.

This is my first year growing these.

VA Gardener
March 8th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I did not burn my house down! What a relief... Now I need some coffee :D

MVNewf
March 8th, 2011, 12:48 PM
QUOTE axhandle

LOL_______thats a comforting thought :eek:

bluelacedredhead
March 8th, 2011, 12:56 PM

That's Wonderful News, Va Gardener. Now put your feet up and Enjoy that Coffee you've worked so hard for. :)

RozieDozie
March 8th, 2011, 01:53 PM

:D Enjoy it in your "not burned down" house.

Sadly, I've left the pot going more times that I can count. Never a fire but plenty of crusty stuff in the bottom of the caraf.

Now we have a Bunn-o-Matic that drips into a thermos; that's the only safe thing where this old brain is concerned....

VA Gardener
March 8th, 2011, 05:23 PM
What coffee was left in the pot (about half) was the best tasting coffee ever! I should leave my coffee maker on for hours - on weekends with me there, of course ;)

Cheffie
March 8th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Glad you didn't burn the house down!

Not the same, but just as forgetful: Our first married Thanksgiving, my sister and brother inlaw came to visit. It was our first apartment together, and it was tiny. We were so excited to cook for them! I went shopping with my sister, and had the great idea to call my husband at home to tell him to turn on the oven to preheat.

Came home to an apartment full of smoke, dh waving cardboard at the smoke alarm. Since we were so tight on storage space, I had left our brand new deluxe wedding gift crockpot in the oven. Oooh, I was soo mad at my husband for not checking inside and he was soo mad at me for not telling him to check inside!
Melted gunk everywhere inside the oven. Dinner turned out great, several hours later, after scraping it all off!

Even now, it is habit for both of us to look inside the oven before turning it on!

Zinniagirl
March 9th, 2011, 06:24 AM
What coffee was left in the pot (about half) was the best tasting coffee ever! I should leave my coffee maker on for hours - on weekends with me there, of course ;)

Our coffee maker turns off after 2 hours. I usually drink what is left later in the day. I do think the afternoon or evening leftover coffee is better :D