PDA

View Full Version : How do I get Iron, Nitrogen, and Phosphorus into my soil?

windsng225
August 9th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Hello fellow gardeners,

I need some expert help here. How can I get more Iron, Nitrogen and Phosphorus into my soil? I know that crushed egg shells will give me the calcium in the soil, but I am not sure about the rest of them. Does used coffee grounds put the Nitrogen back into the soil, I had thought it did, but now I am not sure. So experts, what can I add (being as organic as I possibly can) that will add more to my soil? Thanks for any help that any of you can give me.
joyce

nordicnacho
August 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM
For the long term composting, Manure, Cover Crops

Fast Organic Fixes

For Nitrogen and most Micro Nutes = Fish Emulsion= 10 dollars a gallon here

Micro Nutes= Seaweed = 20 bucks here

E.B. Stone makes some good organic dry ferts. I love this places stuff

www.seapal.com

windsng225
August 9th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks nordicnacho, I went to the web site but there is no place there to order anything. How do I get in touch with these people.
joyce

lizardwalker
August 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Railroad spikes will give you more iron and phosphorus plus they are big enough to see where you put them. You should be albe to find them near the railroad tracks. The railroad does not pick them up they leave them laying on the side of the tracks. Bone meal, if you can afford it, will give the soil all three.

babygarden
August 9th, 2007, 10:54 PM
This might sound stupid, but I have no clue as I am only recently gardening again.. but..
rather than by that expensive seaweed for $20, would the seaweed from the asian store be any good instead?
here you can get something like 20 sheets for sushi for about $1.50 so would that work instead if you soaked it and ground it up?
just a thought, dunno if it's any good though - experts???

nordicnacho
August 10th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Here you go call the number on here.

http://seapal.com/contact.htm

(707) 459-6791

its really cheap at around 8.50 a gallon plus shipping for the organic stuff they use alot up there cause Medocino is in the green triangle:D.

lovetogarden
August 10th, 2007, 09:15 PM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/03/HOGC7J5DA21.DTL
Steve Solomon, fournder of Territorial Seeds came up with this well balances fertilizer.

Also, www.seaagri.com
Their sea solids contain all 90 elements of the periodic table.

bhpigeon2
August 10th, 2007, 11:08 PM
For a one-shot quick-acting nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizer, try Espoma's bone meal. It's 4-12-0. Available at many nurseries and garden shops or:
www.stokestropicals.com/detail.aspx?ID=333

bhp2

windsng225
August 11th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Thanks everyone for all the input. Will go shopping today and see what I can find, but taking a list of everything that was said here. Wish me luck. Thanks again.
joyce

yorkerjenny7
October 14th, 2007, 11:51 AM
This might sound stupid, but I have no clue as I am only recently gardening again.. but..
rather than by that expensive seaweed for $20, would the seaweed from the asian store be any good instead?
here you can get something like 20 sheets for sushi for about $1.50 so would that work instead if you soaked it and ground it up?
just a thought, dunno if it's any good though - experts???
I have the same idea, too. Since I have a big bag of seaweed at home, I'm thinking of ground it, soak it and give to the plants as powder water solition. They don't have any additional ingredients. so, shouldn't be a problem.
I also read spraying milk makes plants immune system stronger. Especially good against powdery meldow.

redbrick
October 14th, 2007, 11:53 AM
It's worth a try, although I think you'll find that the liquid seaweed on the market is more highly concentrated, and will go farther for your money's worth. Just my opinion.

TastyofHasty
October 14th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Joyce, next year I'm going to be growing fava beans in early spring/summer as "cover crop" for adding nitrogen to soil.

And wood ashes are s'posed to be good for potassium, though they are also a strong Base ... maybe mix wood ashes with peat moss to even out the Ph?

WHY does peat moss "enliven the soil?" Anybody know WHY?

Blanesgarden
October 14th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Peat moss will add to the acidity of you soil, Its not neccesary to use it for most vegys, but if you got blueberrys, strawberrys, I would use it.
If you can find some rebarb, stake them straight in, that will add you Iron content. You can buy Nitrate of Soda at most hardware stores, its has a
20-0-0 ratio for your nitrogen. Also for higher nitogen, use Bloodmeal.

Phosphorus (the 2nd number) is mainly to help with fruit development, and a stronger root system, One way is to just burn your old summer garden, and then till that all up, This will also increase the Potasium levels as well.
Bone meal is what Ya want if your looking for the easy way out, this will increase you Phosphorus content, without all that burning chore.

And for higher Potasium levels, Get ya some Kelp meal. Again you dont have to burn if ya add this...Dont forget about all the micro-nutrients like boron, calsium, magnesium and the likes... One more thing to use for these, and dont laugh (it might be in your kitchen) Ebsom Salt, hope this helps, Blane.

Blanesgarden
October 16th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Just one more that I missed, Used coffee grounds, or tea...I dump those in the Kitchen-srcap-Heap, for futher composting.....Eventually that old stuff becomes dirt. But we can talk about composting in another thread, Im sure. GG to ya..blane.

LuvsToPlant
October 17th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Thought I would give you a recipe of how much to use...
Using to much or to little wouldn't pay off.

A basic diet
For a 100 sq. ft garden

Nitogen: Good ole aged cow manure (spring) 3-6 months
about 200-300 lbs that should spread out about an inch
or Blood meal (fall) about 3 coffee cans full every two years

Phosphorus: Rock phosphorus 4 coffe cans (fall) every two years

Potassium: any of either
Granite dust 4 coffee cans every two yrs.
Greensand 4 coffee cans every two years
wood ashes 10 coffee cans every year
fish emulsion apply a diluted solution biweekly as snack

Iron
Some sources
These sources are sprinkled around the plant
Chicken manure dried
Greensand
Wood ashes
Compost

Enjoy your garden!