PDA

View Full Version : Bean rust

VA Gardener
June 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
I think my beans got bean rust on them - both common beans and edamame. I am trying to remove the infected leaves. Is there any good organic control for this disease?

pepperhead212
June 2nd, 2011, 10:58 PM
One of the best things I have used to control bean rust is a combination of 4 tb oil + 1 tb baking soda to a gallon of water, plus a little DW detergent, to emulsify it. Problem is, it is not good to spray oil based sprays in 90+ weather. I have also used some organic copper soaps, and it get rid of some of the rust, but not like the oil, in my experience. I just used some orange oil for the first time last season, with also worked well with some fungus problems on various plants, but it is also an oil, with the same problem.

VA Gardener
June 3rd, 2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks, pepperhead.

We had the temps in the 90's the last few days. Today it has cooled down to low 80's. What a relief!

I will try the spray that you recommended, if it stays cool.

I will be removing more infected leaves, as well.

VA Gardener
June 6th, 2011, 03:52 PM
One of the best things I have used to control bean rust is a combination of 4 tb oil + 1 tb baking soda to a gallon of water, plus a little DW detergent, to emulsify it. Problem is, it is not good to spray oil based sprays in 90+ weather. I have also used some organic copper soaps, and it get rid of some of the rust, but not like the oil, in my experience. I just used some orange oil for the first time last season, with also worked well with some fungus problems on various plants, but it is also an oil, with the same problem.

Pepperhead,

Do you spray this on the infected leaves or the whole plant? Also, how often do you need to spray? I really need to save my beans.

livetogrowtolive
June 14th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Pepperhead,

Do you spray this on the infected leaves or the whole plant? Also, how often do you need to spray? I really need to save my beans.

I use basically the same thing.

Go out when it is dry and remove all the obviously infected leaves. Spray everything that is left. Tops and bottoms of the leaves and the stems.

Stay on top of it. You probably won't stop the rust but you might be able to stay ahead of it. You will have to continue managing the plants until harvest. Whenever you see a rusted leaf remove it. It will help prevent it from spreading.

Don't water from above.

I had rust on my Lima beans this year and was able to manage it and harvest some yummy beans.

Good luck.

VA Gardener
June 14th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I use basically the same thing.

Go out when it is dry and remove all the obviously infected leaves. Spray everything that is left. Tops and bottoms of the leaves and the stems.

Stay on top of it. You probably won't stop the rust but you might be able to stay ahead of it. You will have to continue managing the plants until harvest. Whenever you see a rusted leaf remove it. It will help prevent it from spreading.

Don't water from above.

I had rust on my Lima beans this year and was able to manage it and harvest some yummy beans.

Good luck.

Thank you, livetogrowtolive!

So, you use the same formula for the spray? What oil do you use?

Welcome to I-Dig, btw.

RozieDozie
June 15th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Well, I guess this thread was "catching"; went out to the beans this morning and yup, there's some rust going on. Not too bad, though so if it cools off I'll spray.

It has been so freaking hot and humid here; no wonder the beans are rusting. I'm getting kind of moldy myself.

VA Gardener
June 15th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Well, I guess this thread was "catching"; went out to the beans this morning and yup, there's some rust going on. Not too bad, though so if it cools off I'll spray.

It has been so freaking hot and humid here; no wonder the beans are rusting. I'm getting kind of moldy myself.

Sorry to hear that, Rozie.

I picked off all of the diseased leaves, again. Haven't sprayed yet. The beans are producing like crazy.

I ended up pulling up all of the edamame. I will try growing them again next year.

This is a horrible disease. I always thought that the beans were an easy crop. But in addition to bugs (japanese beetles, stink bugs) there is this rust disease.

pepperhead212
June 15th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Pepperhead,

I spray the entire plant, including the undersides of the leaves, when possible. And I do this about every week, when it is cool enough, since they are always growing new leaves.

Some varieties are much more resistant to rust, and will grow right next to one that is wiped out by the disease.

livetogrowtolive
June 16th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Thank you, livetogrowtolive!

So, you use the same formula for the spray? What oil do you use?

Welcome to I-Dig, btw.

It depends.

For a general spray I use peanut oil, dish soap and baking soda. About a tablespoon each per gallon.

If I am targeting something specific I might use Neem oil or Organicide for the oil part. I might also use insecticidal soap instead of dish soap.

I will also change the ratio. Sometimes a little more oil or baking soda is called for. Be careful about using too much soap though or you will burn your plants.

Zephyrbird5a-6
June 17th, 2011, 09:13 AM
We space our beans well, but we also tarp the beds where we plant them and this seems to keep rust down.

This is an excellent thread on this subject, thanks my fellow beanies!

seedsower
July 21st, 2013, 06:32 PM
We space our beans well, but we also tarp the beds where we plant them and this seems to keep rust down.

This is an excellent thread on this subject, thanks my fellow beanies!

What exactly do you do to the bean beds? When do you do it, early when planted or later?

seedsower
July 21st, 2013, 06:32 PM
Also, anyone still using the baking soda spray?

pepperhead212
July 21st, 2013, 08:47 PM
I still use the soda/oil spray, and I now use the KHCO3 - minor improvement, but you still have to worry about using oils in extreme heat.

I was just out spraying some Actinovate on a bunch of things, including my beans, and noticed one of the purple beans - the one I got as a free sample, with a generic name - is growing great, but has more rust than the other I have grown for years - Brumhilde. I'll see if the new one gets even more, despite the treatments, as another purple variety - Trionfo Violetto - used to do, and I would eventually have to pull them.