PDA

View Full Version : canner question

JJBean
August 31st, 2007, 09:59 PM
In pressure cookers is it necessary to have the maximum number of jars in the cooker for the foods to be canned correctly? What about water bath canners?
Thanks,
JJ

hikingonthru
September 1st, 2007, 12:09 AM
In both types of my canners, the instructions call for having all the spaces filled with empty or full jars to keep other jars from tipping. Neither of mine has a rack however.

Bull
September 1st, 2007, 05:45 PM
My wife has been canning for years but she doesn't claim to be an expert but she will can with a cooker not full If her batch is only going to be two or three quarts whe will do pints to get the cooker as close to full as posible. The idea of filling the canner with empty jars to keep them from tipping souds like a good idea but she doesn't do this either

justdoit
September 2nd, 2007, 07:41 AM
In a regular pressure canner, I see no reason to fill out with empty jars, but a water bath canner could be a whole nother matter. The instructions call for water to one inch above the jar tops... these could topple with the turbulance of boiling water and them nearly floating as is. I'd be leary of canning without a rack in the bottom.

TastyofHasty
September 2nd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Another reason to get as much in your canner as possible at one time is EFFICIENCY. That's a lot of water to bring to, and keep at, a boil ... but if you don't have enough to fill enough jars to fill your canner, makes sense to use empty jars filled with water or whatever, as long as you're willing to put up the energy and water ...

hikingonthru
September 2nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
I asked my father (pronouned Deh-dee here in the south) about pressure canners needing extra jars. He has pressure canned for years. He says the reason for filling up extra spaces if you do no have a rack that keeps individual jars upright is to keep jars from tilting. The danger of jars tilting is that whatever you are canning gets in that 1 inch headspace and the pressure pushes it out between the jar rim and the seal. This can lead to failure to seal properly.

windsng225
September 4th, 2007, 09:40 AM
I only have the hot water bath canner, and sometimes I don't have enough to fill it, I have been canning 3 quarts of tomatoe's every other day and of course it does not fill it up, but am very carefull about where I place them. And it is a lot of water, but most of the time can't wait to can them otherwise the tomatoe's will go bad and don't want that. Next year I will try to purchase a pressure cooker for beans and other veg's. But they are very expensive.
joyce

DirtDobber
September 4th, 2007, 02:03 PM
When I only have two or three quarts, I use my stock pot instead of the canner....