PDA

View Full Version : low or no acid tomatoes--names and kinds please

carolg
September 1st, 2007, 02:54 PM
After all my fuss with my fight with aphids and now possibly a resistance to eating tomoatoes, which I am evaluating now, I do have some monster size tomatoes, but not even sure the kinds. Know I did plant beefsteak and think another kind called monarch or some two worded variety that are finally coming in ELEPHANT size. I have some problems will post new thread with some flowers, but for here, need name suggestions.

Heirloom preferred for tomatoes below....

Would love Roma's orange and red.

Would love tomatoes elephant 3-4 pounders or if must, then 2 pound.

Want large to be beefsteak and also the elphant in both red, orange or different kinds too.

Can you please help for next seasons planning ahead?

Not sure if tomatoes is my problem eating, but in the meantime would be a nice thing to have too.
carolg z5 co

tuk50
September 1st, 2007, 03:26 PM
Ponderosa Pink, when ripe has low acid and very very tasty! When it is a little green there is more acid. Also yellow pear is the garden snacker I use during the summer when too many tomatoes give me problems also. There are a number of different low acid types in the yellow and white varieties, but the two above are our favorite for taste. :cool:

G. Gordon Gumbo
September 1st, 2007, 05:10 PM
All tomatoes have some acid ... so there are no "acid free" tomatoes.

Two tomatoes that USDA recommends you not can due to low acid levels are Ace-55 and Jet Star.

GGG

tomatoman223
September 1st, 2007, 08:40 PM
GGG's right on the mark as far as the acidity of most tomato's.Higher sugar content makes you think it not as tart,but the acid is still there.

My choice for paste tomato's:
Olpalka
Uncle Steve's Italian Plum
(both red)

Big ol' honkers:)
Mexico(pink)
Neves Azorian Red
Tidwell German
German Head(pink)

All have a sweet taste to me,but the mileage may vary,as they say.

carolg
September 2nd, 2007, 12:58 AM
Thanks GGG and Tomatoman,
I suppose I'll just have to rethink my giving up tomatoes, but more in the moderation mode. I got some other suggestions I need to change for my dietary needs and it may not even be the tomatoes as the culprit, but perhaps overeating even healthy foods.

Thanks again.

carolg z5 co

Ohiorganic
September 2nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
yellow/orange tomatoes have far less acid than reds and pinks.

I like Dr Wyche's yellow for monster sized maters. They often get 1 to 2 pounds.

There are some yellow orange roma types. One is banana legs.

EdlinUser
September 2nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
Also yellow pear is the garden snacker I use during the summer when too many tomatoes give me problems also. :

I agree about the yellow pears. They're the only tomato I've grown that I can eat raw. But I wonder if acid is getting a bad rap here. I love to eat cooked tomatoes in stews, sauces, soups, bread, ... What ever it is in tomatoes that bothers me disappears in cooking.

G. Gordon Gumbo
September 2nd, 2007, 05:13 PM

I like Dr Wyche's yellow for monster sized maters. They often get 1 to 2 pounds.

It is largely a myth that yellow and orange tomatoes are lower in acid content than red and pink tomatoes. What some people may perceive as lower acid taste actually is a higher sugar content masking the natural tartness of the acidity.

USDA and university research has shown that most ripe or cooked tomatoes run lower than 4.6 pH, thereby falling into the "high acid" food category with regard to canning. However, tests also show the following tomatoes have pH readings higher than 4.6, therefore could be considered "lower acid" tomatoes: Ace, Ace 55VF, Beefmaster Hybrid, Big Early Hybrid, Big Girl, Big Set, Burpee VF Hybrid, Cal Ace, Delicious, Fireball, Garden State, Royal Chico, and San Marzano. Source http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/nutrition/DJ1097.html
Of those tomatoes, I don't recognize any being yellow or gold types.

If someone has scientific data indicating that yellow and orange tomatoes generally contain lower acid levels than red and pink tomatoes, please post a link to the data. Otherwise, I will continue to maintain that such a statement is based on myth.

GGG

mrtomato
September 5th, 2007, 12:50 AM
sunray greatwhite

prouddaddy
September 5th, 2007, 10:27 AM

OO I have some of the Dr.Wyches, plants look good, blooming like crazy, has been hot as heck up until this week, NO TOMATOES. What you think, anything I can do other than just looking? PD

mrtomatoexpres
September 7th, 2007, 09:12 PM
any bees or just shake the plant.if no bees do it yourself pollinate