PDA

View Full Version : anyone get rid of carpenter ants without a exterminator?

tastyveggies
August 9th, 2011, 07:41 AM
whats going on with my house? mice ? carpenter ants? when putting out the dog this morning I noticed way more ants than normal on our porch. in the corner I found a spot that had saw dust on the floor, well , we havent cut wood in years and years. so it has to be carpenter ants. there where lots of big black ants.
I really cant afford a exterminator, Ive goodled it and everything says to drill into the wall and puff boric acid into the wall. Is there anything I can do outside the wall? what If I leave boric acid along the outside?

nedwina
August 9th, 2011, 09:48 AM
You have to find the nest. If there is one. Sometimes they just pass through. But if this is happening on your porch, there's a good chance that there's a nest there somewhere.

Near the sawdust pile- are there any cracks or holes that they're coming in & out of?

Carpenter ants nest in rotting wood. If you really want to completely get rid of them, you have to find the nest, get rid of it, and then rip out & replace the wood.

One thing you could try is to leave a saucer of sugar water on the porch and check it every coupla hours. They'll make a conga line to it from the nest. Maybe you'll get lucky and find they're in a nearby tree. If that's the case, then if you wash down your porch with a mild bleach solution there'll be less hanging around...

GennyL
August 9th, 2011, 10:07 AM
oh TV DRILL BABY DRILL ......you're in for a fight there. Our LL had the back porch torn off about 6weeks ago and the number of ants hidden in-under and down below the concrete was mind blowing. There were thousands of Ants and Tens of Thousands of their larvae ewww. They rushed about trying to carry their larvae to the piles of wood that were torn off. The pillars that used to run solid about 50-80ft up were hollow or porous within. Fight hard,fast & furious.

puttgirl
August 9th, 2011, 12:05 PM
If you don't mind using some poison-try Terro first. It worked on carpenter ants years ago at the house where I grew up.

GennyL
August 9th, 2011, 07:55 PM
whats going on with my house? mice ? carpenter ants? when putting out the dog this morning I noticed way more ants than normal on our porch. in the corner I found a spot that had saw dust on the floor, well , we havent cut wood in years and years. so it has to be carpenter ants. there where lots of big black ants.
I really cant afford a exterminator, Ive goodled it and everything says to drill into the wall and puff boric acid into the wall. Is there anything I can do outside the wall? what If I leave boric acid along the outside?

I'm gonna guess patching a 1/2" hole every so many feet at floor level would be cheaper and faster to fix but I'm not a Contractor. Carpenter Ant's are like Mice & Roaches- for every one you see there's a hundred or thousand you don't.

LAC
August 9th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I actually did get rid of carpenter ants......but it took persistence.
I made up a batch of equal parts Borax (yes, the mule team kind) with powdered sugar. Added water to make a 'slurry', about the consistency of cake icing. I put this mixture in bottle caps, can lids, whatever.....and placed them all over where I saw the ants.
The idea is, as told by my 92 year old neighbor, the Borax will kill an ant, but the sugar will sweeten the deal......he takes it back to the nest to share with everyone......killing them all.
The *&%$#@! ants were after my 100 year old apple tree, after one summer of doing the Borax thing, they are now gone. After each rain, I would replenish.
Honest, it works.
~L

GennyL
August 9th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I actually did get rid of carpenter ants......but it took persistence.
I made up a batch of equal parts Borax (yes, the mule team kind) with powdered sugar. Added water to make a 'slurry', about the consistency of cake icing. I put this mixture in bottle caps, can lids, whatever.....and placed them all over where I saw the ants.
The idea is, as told by my 92 year old neighbor, the Borax will kill an ant, but the sugar will sweeten the deal......he takes it back to the nest to share with everyone......killing them all.
The *&%$#@! ants were after my 100 year old apple tree, after one summer of doing the Borax thing, they are now gone. After each rain, I would replenish.
Honest, it works.
~L

cool I think I'll try that but in the back of the cupboards where the cat can't get it. Or put the 2 into lard like the Natives do and make "Bug Bombs"

grapenut
August 9th, 2011, 09:00 PM
If you have Carpenter ants, you will also more than likely have a moister problem that needs to be addressed first. if you have lot of wood laying around in contact with dirt, either get rid of it or get it off the ground. I rented a house once where the support for the porch was an 8ft x 12 in around log cut in half and split in half, so that the logs were in full contact with the soil, it's also where I discovered the nest. I explained the problem to the landlord and was able to fix the problem. hope you are able to get a handle on this ASAP! I will be praying for you on this.

Txyardlady
August 9th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I got rid of carpenter ants a few years ago by using the ant bait traps, the ants carry the bait back to nest, I bought a lot of them, put them out on patio, everywhere that I had seen the ants, I even put them on the big trees that were close to the house. I bought these at the dollar store, they were $3 or $4 dollars a box.

Sueboo
August 10th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Terro makes a concoction that is simply borax and sugar water. Not a pesticide. Read the label because they make a pesticide type too.

We had a bad infestation on my sunporch last year. We could hear them in the ceiling; that's how many there were before we realized what was going on.

I tried the Terro but it was not successful. I ended up calling an exterminator. It was either that or risk losing the porch. It was about $200. He drilled holes in the ceiling and blew the poison into it with a machine. You could hear the hive moving to another area of the porch so he ran to the other side and repeated the process so that they wouldn't simply relocate. Came with a one year warranty.

If you do go the extermination route, try the "family businesses" instead of the big names like Orkin and such. Much cheaper and I felt like they really cared about the business since the employees had an obvious interest in their company.

Good luck.... I feel for yah!

Sue

happyhill
August 11th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I used cheap grape jelly mixed with one teaspoon boric acid for each cup. I used two styrofoam plates stapled together with little holes cut into the sides of the bottom plate with the jelly spread in the bottom plate. The ants flocked to it. It did take a while but it really worked. They take it back to the nest and eventually it kills the queen and the aunts in the nest. Sprays usually don't work because it doesn't kill the queen. I had a terrible problem with Florida Carpenter ants. They are half red and half black and they bite. Diatomaceous also worked for me. I dumped some in the corner of the room at the place where the were coming in. They don't eat it but they walk in it and take it back to their nest. When the clean it off their legs it kills them.

GoldenPig
March 7th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Well yeah I agree that exterminators are a little expensive and sometimes they do not do their job completely based on my experiences. Gold diggers! lol! Anyway you can try to make some traps. A good example is a boric acid peanut butter trap (http://www.thebugsquad.com/ants/getting-rid-of-ants-fast). Works for me. I terminated my contract with my personal exterminator when I found a website on google that offers free do it yourself pest control stuffs. Ok back to the trap, get a cardboard box. Punch holes through it with a pencil or a barbecue stick or anything as long as ants can get through. Then get a decent amount of boric acid and mix it with peanut butter. Carefully place them mixture inside of the box and you're good to go! A good strategic placement of the trap is to position it not near the nest or their colony. They are smarter than we thought. Really. The peanut butter is used for attracting the ants. Boric acid to kill them fast and the cardboard box for disposable purposes.

athelas
March 7th, 2013, 10:03 AM
For the boric acid, can you just use borax powder or do you have to use the boric acid you get from a pharmacy? I was just getting ready to make the traps myself. We have the little black ants and nothing has been working. They don't even go into the store bought traps. We had a stretch of a few nice days and that was all it took to bring them back into the house. There has been snow on the ground for about a week now but I still have ants in my house. We hired an exterminator last summer and within two days, they were back in the house.

Autumn
March 7th, 2013, 04:47 PM
sorry, only when my house burned to the ground, athelas.

athelas
March 7th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Huh?

SpaceAge
March 7th, 2013, 06:05 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeV5uWgY6wHZBfAtuuLi8p1Fz9UDg06 nPhQqLJAlo7g_mRICs3GA

find both ends of the colony the front door and the garbage dump side ...put about 2 TBSP in a circle around the sites and 8 > 12 hours later , you will not have a problem ...they think it is Cake & Ice Cream and scarf it up including feeding the queen ... the next day you can sweep up any thing that might be left behind , but usually there is not 1 crumb left ...

GoldenPig
March 7th, 2013, 08:38 PM
For the boric acid, can you just use borax powder or do you have to use the boric acid you get from a pharmacy? I was just getting ready to make the traps myself. We have the little black ants and nothing has been working. They don't even go into the store bought traps. We had a stretch of a few nice days and that was all it took to bring them back into the house. There has been snow on the ground for about a week now but I still have ants in my house. We hired an exterminator last summer and within two days, they were back in the house.

You can buy boric acid at drug stores and stores like Wal-Mart and Walgreen. Also stores like Home Depot or any other type hardware store. :)

BalconyFarmer
March 7th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Carpenter ants often set up satellite nests in damp, rotting wood on porches and in ceilings. The main nest is in a large tree near the house.

They don't like low vibrations. We had them in the ceiling over our bedroom, and I got rid of them by strapping one of those vibrating neck massagers to the ceiling. When I turned it on, it made a low, vibrating hum that transduced through the wood. I'd turn it on when I went to work in the morning, then turn it off when I got home. A couple hours later, I'd turn it on again, and leave it on till we went to bed. (Intermittent vibration is better than constant).

It took a week or 10 days, but eventually, they moved on. If the boric acid doesn't work, it's an option...but you'll go through some batteries.

chickweed
March 8th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Hubs informed me last night, that our next pets are going to be a pair of big anteaters! No more dogs! LOL! I bet we could recoup the cost of a habitat very quickly by renting them out!

GoldenPig
March 11th, 2013, 07:03 AM
well. the thread starter looks like his problems are over =D