PDA

View Full Version : Trinidad's Moruga Scorpion Pepper?

atlbry
October 19th, 2012, 07:23 AM
I always thought the Bhut Jolokia peppers were the hottest. This is a new one to me? the hottest I have ever grown is the Habanero back in 98'. At that time it was the hottest that I knew of. Any thoughts?

http://www.thedailymeal.com/trinidads-moruga-scorpion-now-worlds-hottest-pepper

halfway
October 19th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Seems the scorpion was second. Them jolokia's are straight from **** too!

BONSAI_OUTLAW
October 19th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Did you save the seeds?

skoorb
October 21st, 2012, 05:53 PM
The Trinidad Moruga Scorpion is certified the world's hottest pepper.

Blanesgarden
October 21st, 2012, 07:12 PM
The Trinidad Moruga Scorpion is certified the world's hottest pepper.

What is your source?
Last I heard, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T was the hottest. And that was coming from the breeder himself, Mr Butch Taylor.
Like I've mentioned before, these records seem to broken, yearly, if not twice a year these days.

Blanesgarden
October 21st, 2012, 10:42 PM
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-1/hottest-chili/

Butch gave me this link.

skoorb
October 22nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad_Moruga_Scorpion

I think the hottest pepper does change often....

GunnarSK
October 22nd, 2012, 03:52 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinidad_Moruga_ScorpionI think the hottest pepper does change often....It sure does. And the "regular" Trinidad Scorpion is good enough for beginners as me.

GunnarSK
October 28th, 2012, 10:11 AM
It sure does. And the "regular" Trinidad Scorpion is good enough for beginners as me.I'll also try to grow Scotch Bonnet and Naga Yellow, a yellow version of Naga Jolokia aka Bhut Jolokia, everything from seeds sent by Solo in Israel.

Fusion_power
October 28th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I sent thousands of seed of Trinidad Scorpion Moruga and Bhut Jolokia to Sandhill Preservation so they can list them next year. I asked Glenn to set a low price for them because I got so much seed this year.

From the feeling of my hands after cleaning seed of both varieties, they are both way too hot to handle. But the Moruga's are pure liquid fire. I shook up to 7 drops of pure liquid capsaicin from several of them. The stuff is so hot that letting a drop of it get on sensitive skin is the equivalent of being touched with a red hot poker.

My soil was heavily amended with organics this year. This dramatically increases production and seems to make the peppers hotter. I grew the plants well away from each other and from other peppers so the seed will be pure.

DarJones

RareSeedCollector
October 28th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Carolina Reaper HP22B is curerntly the hottest pepper out there.

Blanesgarden
October 28th, 2012, 04:25 PM

That's what the word on the street is.
Wait 3 months, it will change again.
I'm happy with what is in my collection now. Can one really enjoy much past a million scovilles anyway?:rolleyes:

Blanesgarden
October 28th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I sent thousands of seed of Trinidad Scorpion Moruga and Bhut Jolokia to Sandhill Preservation so they can list them next year. I asked Glenn to set a low price for them because I got so much seed this year.

From the feeling of my hands after cleaning seed of both varieties, they are both way too hot to handle. But the Moruga's are pure liquid fire. I shook up to 7 drops of pure liquid capsaicin from several of them. The stuff is so hot that letting a drop of it get on sensitive skin is the equivalent of being touched with a red hot poker.

My soil was heavily amended with organics this year. This dramatically increases production and seems to make the peppers hotter. I grew the plants well away from each other and from other peppers so the seed will be pure.

DarJones

Darrell,
I don't know how you do it man!
We quit saving the seeds, after 30 pods or so, because it hurt sooo much!
Even my helpers Quit on me, and they live here!
Thanks for sending those to Glenn, major bonus there!

skoorb
October 28th, 2012, 06:31 PM

I guess i'm confused, the SHU's that the "reaper" are claiming would only put it third....

SpaceAge
October 28th, 2012, 09:18 PM
At those levels , what the heck is the difference ...?

"well this one strips the paint off a '55 Chevy" , "well this one is used as a weapon against Al-Queda " ... geez ... !!! :eek:

Blanesgarden
October 28th, 2012, 09:44 PM
At those levels , what the heck is the difference ...?

"well this one strips the paint off a '55 Chevy" , "well this one is used as a weapon against Al-Queda " ... geez ... !!! :eek:

HAHAHA!!! I hear Ya!
We might be geeks, but I think my geekness has maxed out on these Dan!:D

Fusion_power
October 29th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Well, just to toss a few embers around, I was passing emails back and forth with Chris Phillips a couple of years ago and he is convinced that none of the above is the hottest chili around. He thinks that if someone gets around to testing the Trinidad Douglah, that it will come in hotter than all the above. I'm not sure yet, I have a Douglah plant in the garden and have had some hot peppers from it, but not yet hot enough to blow away a Moruga.

DarJones

Blanesgarden
October 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Well, just to toss a few embers around, I was passing emails back and forth with Chris Phillips a couple of years ago and he is convinced that none of the above is the hottest chili around. He thinks that if someone gets around to testing the Trinidad Douglah, that it will come in hotter than all the above. I'm not sure yet, I have a Douglah plant in the garden and have had some hot peppers from it, but not yet hot enough to blow away a Moruga.

DarJones

See?
I think we have gotten to the point, to...unless somebody lays down a scoville testing machine on their Farm...
With Videos, and Pics...
We all stand at, "whats the Hottest"?
Thanks Dar-;)

RareSeedCollector
October 30th, 2012, 01:16 PM
That's what the word on the street is.
Wait 3 months, it will change again.
I'm happy with what is in my collection now. Can one really enjoy much past a million scovilles anyway?:rolleyes:I agree with you 100% my friend...the hype around alot of these new crosses is quite ridiculous;)

pepperhead212
October 30th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I often wonder about how reliable these "hottest pepper" claims are, since these tests are not cheap. And I'm not sure how the guinness book does the tests, but I would require a large amount of the given pepper (say, 1 gal. of pureed peppers), so this would mean the pepper is reliably this hot, and it wasn't a one time freak occurance. If somebody did have a skoville unit machine they could test 500 peppers (or more) and pick the best number!

SpaceAge
October 30th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I personally find the super-hots to be a cartoon ... by that I mean , If you can't pick one while you are out in the garden , stick it in your mouth and enjoy that first rush of hot and sweat followed by some kind of actual pepper flavor ... what is the point of growing it as a backyard gardener. ...??? To me a good ripened to red Serranno or a Portuguese Cayenne right off the vine or with a sandwich is perfect ... no reason to even grow Habs or such unless you can sell them , because ( and I am a Hot Pepper eating fool ! ) if you can't really ENJOY them , I cross them off my list ...

Fusion_power
October 30th, 2012, 10:15 PM
But there is something about handing a pepper to some pepper eating fool and saying "this one is too hot for you to eat". Most pepper eating fools will do the obvious and try to eat it.

I cleaned seed out of 5 gallons of Bhut Jolokia and 2 gallons of Trinidad Scorpion Moruga in the last week. This is the third large harvest from my plants. I'm at the point I have to store seed in quart ziploc bags.

The Bhut's make jam up hot pepper sauce if you mix them about 1:4 with a milder hot pepper. They also make really good dried pepper flakes. A dab'll do ya.

DarJones

GunnarSK
October 31st, 2012, 06:12 PM
I almost forgot to mention I also have Naga Morich seed from Solo, and will of course grow it.

Train
October 31st, 2012, 09:05 PM
Ya

I'm sticking with my bells red cayennes
and jalapenos.
You youngsters can have the rest.
Heheh
Train

Darth Slater
November 2nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Here is what Joe sent me folks:

Penny's Tomatoes and Pepper Joe's Hey Dean, the AVERAGE Scoville heat units for the Carolina Reaper is 1,474,000. This is a 4 year average from several batches tested at the Winthrop University in SC

Drew Dubious
November 7th, 2012, 05:34 AM
There is a new variety of bhut jolokia bred in england that is now hottest. Unfortunatly they are unedible as far as I am concerned.

Darth Slater
November 7th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Drew according to Joe, this is the one holding the record now, The Carolina Reaper.
I love hot stuff but any of those bhuts, scorpions and the rest are way out of my league.
I will stick with my tabasco.
And jalepenos.

Blanesgarden
November 7th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Whatever happened to the Naga Viper?
Anybody ever get seeds for these? That was the Hottest last year, before these 4 other ones surpassed it.

Darth Slater
November 8th, 2012, 07:33 PM
I can tell you this, I love hot stuff but this is not even good flavor, it is just pain..give me my wimpy Tabasco and jalepenos.

roper2008
November 8th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Drew according to Joe, this is the one holding the record now, The Carolina Reaper.
I love hot stuff but any of those bhuts, scorpions and the rest are way out of my league.
I will stick with my tabasco.
And jalepenos.

That's only according to Joe. It has not been proven that it is the hottest.
I will be growing it next year since someone gifted me some seeds. Some
people are suspicious that it looks too much like a primo pepper. So a lot
of us are growing primo's and Carolina reapers side by side.

Darth Slater
November 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Keep us posted roper please, I am also curious.

Darth Slater
November 9th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I just watched The Fire Breathing Idiot on youtube, man he is nuts!!
He also said that one pepper he ate was 1,500,000 scoville units that would be over what the Carolina Reaper would be right?

roper2008
November 10th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I just watched The Fire Breathing Idiot on youtube, man he is nuts!!
He also said that one pepper he ate was 1,500,000 scoville units that would be over what the Carolina Reaper would be right?

Not sure. The only reason I'm growing Carolina Reaper is because primo, the man
who bred the primo pepper is suspicious of the Carolina Reaper, might be a primo.
They look identical to me, but the flavor and heat level might be different.
I'm not really interested in having the hottest pepper. I haven't grown the butch T,
which was the previous record holder. Too hot for me.

habanero500
November 11th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Ed Currie breeder of the Carolina Reaper has already put his puree out on the market. After being tasted at two shows Bowers' (Pennsylvania) and Weekend of Fire (Ohio) it did not overly impress. It was being sold for much higher than Moruga or Trinidad Scorpion puree so after taste testing most customers opted for the others. To most who have tasted it pretty much say it's Scorpion heat and similar to Scorpion flavor. So with that being said unless it gets full media attention, it will not draw saucemakers away from using Moruga or Butch T in their sauces for now.

I have tasted it and feel the same way. It's hot like a Scorpion and similar flavor. If it gets more popular I will market it as I do other peppers. I also grow 7 Pot Primo and they are very close. Except the Reaper has a thinner wall. Since I sell to specialty produce the thinner wall concerns me because that means less shelf life.

Now concerning the Moruga, Butch T Scorpion or any of the red or brown colored 7 pots here is my take. On any given day or season or growing area anyone of them could beat the other. It was my seeds that were tested by NMSU for these varieties and results varied from one side of the field to the other. Thats why NMSU does not just grow out one variety as previous record holders did. You have to grow multiple varieties (comparative field testing) at the same time to see how the current environment affects the entire group. The Moruga Scorpion came out on top this year but what about next year?

Now Ed Currie is doing average testing over a period of years which is great. But is missing two things. The first being comparative field testing. What if his soil and conditions made everything hotter! Other thing missing over last 4 years is having other labs check your work. NMSU had two other labs do this and then had all documentation Scientifically peer reviewed by Hort Tech. Some people say I care about records. I really care more scientific fact and my own experience. Bottom line is all these peppers most likely can beat each other on any given day! For right now the Horticultural Science and Capsaicin science backs the Moruga. (don't forget 7 Pot Douglah was just a hair under Moruga) and Multimedia Guinness backs the Butch T Scorpion. And the Reaper falls somewhere in between.

On a final note I agree these peppers are really not for eating whole. While Jalapenos can be looked as being a vegetable. I look at Superhot peppers being a spice. They have incredible flavor but just like other spices say Saffron for instance they should be used as a flavoring agent in dishes. Thats how i use them. Right now I have six people that include one chef and one cooking author utilizing Superhots and other rare peppers in cooking videos to show us ideas on how to incorporate them into our foods. I should have close to 100 Cooking vids up on my site by end of year. I do have chile eating vids so others can learn about the heat and flavor from a fire eater. But chile eating videos are getting old. I think it's time to think outside the hot sauce/salsa box and learn how to cook with them so the whole family can enjoy and not just our Heat Seeker friends. I would post my site here but do not know if thats allowed. Hope my rambling on here did not bore you all. Take care:)
Jim

Blanesgarden
November 11th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Nice wright up Jim.
Very informative indeed.
Thank You.;)

skoorb
November 12th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Now thats what i'm talking about..... :D

pepperhead212
November 12th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Welcome to the board, Jim!

I like the point you made about the peppers all being tested at the same location. Being subjected to the same weather and treatment should give a better idea of the relative heat of these super peppers, as well as productivity, something that I don't see mentioned often. Not as important to me as to a commercial grower, yet a major reason for me not re-growing a variety, along with lateness.

I consider these a novelty, more than something I can use in cooking. Simply put, I can't use enough to experience the flavor! I make some Thai dishes with 30 peppers that get incredible heat AND flavor from the peppers, yet even for those dishes the amount of a super pepper of any type to equal the capsaicin would be so small there would be no flavor. And those are HOT dishes. I also made some Chinese hot oil with some, and it was so hot that it was easy to overdose a dish. Maybe for huge amounts of food in a commercial kitchen it would be best.