PDA

View Full Version : Jersey Knight or Mary Washington?

Lanna
February 26th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I can't decide between the two which one to buy, and neither the hubby nor 4yo will help me decide. Help!

GeorgeSims
February 26th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I planted 150 Jersey Giant and 100 Mary Washington last year. If you haven't already checked out their prices, look at Simmons Plant Farm. www.simmonsplantfarm.com

Lanna
February 26th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Depending on shipping, I think Heirloom Acres Seeds may be less expensive...
Plus I *know* I'm getting some Purple Passion spears, because, well, I like funky colored stuff. I don't see it at Simmons. :(

I am intrigued by their black raspberry prices though...

Denninmi
February 26th, 2008, 06:06 PM
I agree with the above, you can always do some of each. The all-male hybrids in the Jersey series DO have bigger, thicker stalks, and probably higher yields overall. One thing that I like about my old fashioned Mary Washington strain asparagus patch, which is probably going on close to 30 years old now, is that the plants set lots of seeds, which are spread by the birds, and little seedlings come up all over. While some people might not like this, I always scoop them up when I see them and stick them back into the bed. Over the years, it's significantly increased my patch.

GeorgeSims
February 26th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I have dealt with both companies, and was most impressed with Simmons. I'd never seen asparagus crowns before, so didn't know what to expect. I had 50 surplus Jersey Giants, so I took them to the local organic gardening club. The folks there said they'd never seen such large ones.

Lanna
February 26th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Well, any experience with Irish Eyes (http://www.gardencityseeds.net)? I'm ordering my potatoes, onion transplants and a few last minute things from 'em shortly... It's just sticker shock I suppose...
On the plus side, IE is only a state away from me rather than halfway across the country, and their potatoes and other seeds have done well for me the last few years.

tughillcam
February 26th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I can't decide between the two which one to buy, and neither the hubby nor 4yo will help me decide. Help!

My Mary Washington has held out very well in zone 3/4

Blanesgarden
February 26th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Lanna, go with both....why not?
BTW .....whats your location?:)

Lanna
February 26th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Lanna, go with both....why not?
BTW .....whats your location?:)
Idaho. Where I still have 2 feet of snow in the backyard with a 4yo just itching to go out and dig up the yard for *his* asparagus garden. :o

Only reason I'm hesitant to go with both is because I still want some Purple Passion spears (yeah, I'm pregnant, don't bother attempting to reason with me, sorry), and I'll only have a 3'x12' raised bed (maybe 4'x12', we'll see) to put 'em in if all goes well and my hubby has the time to make said raised bed. I also have to plant 'em in the ground shortly before I'm due to pop. Unless I can plant asparagus before the last frost date, which is still mid-May anyway.

BEEGES
February 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM
From past experience with Mary Washington the secrete is to rouge out all the female plants over time. Everything that produces red berries gets pulled. Of course you should only do this after you have a well producing patch.

George that was a good site. Very cheap prices on crowns.

Blanesgarden
February 27th, 2008, 09:59 PM
From past experience with Mary Washington the secrete is to rouge out all the female plants over time. Everything that produces red berries gets pulled. Of course you should only do this after you have a well producing patch.

Mine made red berries in year 1. But I never pulled anything "OUT".....just cut them back in December.
Hmmm....Maybe I should pay attention this year on my yield.

bugman37
February 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I picked up some Martha Washington variety from a local garden center. Does anyone have any experience with this variety?

Thanks,
Charles

tughillcam
March 3rd, 2008, 08:50 AM

the red berries have the seed in them... if you want to plant another asparagus bed. Ya can't grow too many asparaguseseses ya know ya know :p

Denninmi
March 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
the red berries have the seed in them... if you want to plant another asparagus bed. Ya can't grow too many asparaguseseses ya know ya know :p

I agree with you on this one, tughillcam. Female plants I guess do give lower yields overall, but I love all of the little volunteers. They've enlarged my patch a lot over the years.

We used to have a lot of wild asparagus growing around here in fields and along roadsides. It was all sown by the birds. Unfortunately, it's all gone now, as suburbia took over and plowed over.

klorentz
March 3rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
I have dealt with both companies, and was most impressed with Simmons. I'd never seen asparagus crowns before, so didn't know what to expect. I had 50 surplus Jersey Giants, so I took them to the local organic gardening club. The folks there said they'd never seen such large ones.

Just took a look at their site and I must say I am impressed with the prices. But will the plants be the top quality I want? I have never ordered from these folks and found several plants of interest.

Kevin