PDA

View Full Version : Ok Garlic Experts: What are these on my garlic?

FarmerCathy
June 5th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Some are hanging off of them and some are bumps under thier skin. What are these? Are they seeds or tiny cloves or what? :confused:

Thanks, Cathy

Train
June 5th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Some are hanging off of them and some are bumps under thier skin. What are these? Are they seeds or tiny cloves or what? :confused:

Thanks, Cathy

When garlic fight off evil demons of the night (why you wear fresh garlic around your neck)
the demons are absorbed by the garlics and form lesions.
Eating these garlics can cause demon like qualities.
Train

TastyofHasty
June 5th, 2008, 02:17 PM
They are little garlic "bulblets." They're for putting in the mail and trading with people.:) Same genetics, but Cheaper postage!

I planted some of the ones on my elephant garlic last year; they came up, I think they are the smaller-size garlic plants I've got growing out there; I'm going to leave them to grow another year.

earthangel
June 5th, 2008, 02:56 PM
:D Ok, so I was going to wait to post this pic as my profile avatar until I had it edited a bit, but Freight Train has opened the door for me and I'll go ahead and post it for the good of the forum. What you see here (you have to look carefully until my DH gets it cropped) is a picture of what happens when you fail to properly exorcise the demons from garlic that you plan to consume! ;)

FarmerCathy
June 5th, 2008, 03:03 PM
They are little garlic "bulblets." They're for putting in the mail and trading with people.:) Same genetics, but Cheaper postage!

I planted some of the ones on my elephant garlic last year; they came up, I think they are the smaller-size garlic plants I've got growing out there; I'm going to leave them to grow another year.

Will they grow even though I loped off the flowers before they bloomed?

FarmerCathy
June 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Oh, and when do you plant them, Oct. like the cloves? Or will I just have to do cloves to get big ones again?

FarmerCathy
June 5th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Train and Earthangel - your too silly!:D;):D:p

smellycat
June 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM
:DFreight and Earthangel... I wish I had enough talent to write a witty line... But... I just am not that kinda person. SO here goes.

I love it.

stuckinweeds
June 5th, 2008, 10:46 PM
They probably will disappoint you if you plant them, IMHO.
I would grow only the larger cloves from the main bulb.

Why all of the answers were just smarta@@ garbage, I have no idea.

FarmerCathy
June 6th, 2008, 01:38 AM

Hey if you want to trade for some let me know.;) As long as you think they are still viable even though they didn't get to flower.

flowerpower
June 6th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Any bulbils I find from my hardnecks I put in a paper bag and save until the autumn. Then I plant them in a separate area from the planted cloves. Bulbils need 2 yrs to mature. The first yr, they look like small onions. The second yr, they mature to a big head with cloves. And garlic flowers (scapes) are removed so the plant concentrates its energy on forming the underground bulb and not flowers/seed.

GeorgeSims
June 6th, 2008, 11:14 AM
Your garlic has leprosy.

Bcomplx
June 6th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Those little corms will take 2 years to get to the size of a big clove, so I wouldn't bother with them unless you want to throw them into a wild spot and let them go feral. After your garlic cures, they will kind of fall off by themselves.

TastyofHasty
June 6th, 2008, 08:55 PM
The garlic plants on the right, I think are the ones that were from the bulbils. They're going to over-winter and come back next year as full-size garlic plants. Gotta say, the bulbils have GOT to be quite a bit cheaper to send through the mail than the full-size garlic bulbs! If people want different kinds of garlic, have a bit of extra space, and can wait, why not trade bulbils?

Farmer Cathy, what kind of garlic are you growing?

Zephyrbird5a-6
June 6th, 2008, 11:23 PM
:D Ok, so I was going to wait to post this pic as my profile avatar until I had it edited a bit, but Freight Train has opened the door for me and I'll go ahead and post it for the good of the forum. What you see here (you have to look carefully until my DH gets it cropped) is a picture of what happens when you fail to properly exorcise the demons from garlic that you plan to consume! ;)

Earthangel, I laugh like crazy every time I look at your avatar. I'm terribly allergic? intolerant? of garlic so that's the face I make whenever I smell it or taste it in something!

Thanks for that perfect expression! :D

Zeph

Natloo
June 7th, 2008, 04:19 AM

Earthangel - you crack me up!:p:D

FarmerCathy
June 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM
The garlic plants on the right, I think are the ones that were from the bulbils. They're going to over-winter and come back next year as full-size garlic plants. Gotta say, the bulbils have GOT to be quite a bit cheaper to send through the mail than the full-size garlic bulbs! If people want different kinds of garlic, have a bit of extra space, and can wait, why not trade bulbils?

Farmer Cathy, what kind of garlic are you growing?

Elephant garlic. This is my first year trying it.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Maybe I'll keep them until Fall and plant a few, they don't need the flower to bloom and pollinate to be fertile then?

TastyofHasty
June 7th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Not when you're planting the bulbs ... or the bulbils. ;)