PDA

View Full Version : Broccoli Raab?

Jwilson455
July 5th, 2006, 12:50 PM
:confused: This is a new veggie for my garden and is growing great but when do I harvest it?

Jamie

Cliff Timmons
July 5th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Sounds like the name of an Isreali leader.

dirtundernails
July 5th, 2006, 05:26 PM
When it looks like small, skinny broccoli. Before flowers open.

Cliff, you are so insightful!

dun

zebraman
July 5th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Just like broccoli-before the flower buds open.-

Cliff Timmons
July 6th, 2006, 01:10 AM
So, you're sayin' I was way off?
Sorry. <grin>

windsng225
July 8th, 2006, 07:03 AM
I love Broccoli Rabbi and eat it a lot (by the way it is very good for you). I bought some seed from "growitalian.com" with a lot of other seed. Of course I don't read italian so could not read the instructions. Used my intuition (which was wrong) and planted a lot in a section of my garden. Watched it grow and could not understand why the stalks were so skinny, they had the buds on top but the stalks were skinny. I picked them anyway and cooked them. Eating toothpicks, could not chew them.
Wrote to the company via email, he got back to me that day. You must give them room, plant each seed at least 4 inches apart. The seeds are the size of a poppy seed, very tiny. I had planted at least 1,000. (they give you a lot of seeds), so make sure that you give them room to thicken up.
When you buy them in bunches in the store, the stems are pretty thick, not like broccoli, but a lot thicker than toothpicks. I have to dig those up and plant something else in its place and find room now in my garden so I can plant them the correct way.
I live with my son and his girlfriend and kids, I do the cooking (which I am excellent at). When I cooked up the broccoli Robbi (he loves it too) I had tried it first and the taste was there, but could not chew the stems. I like to eat the stems, always have, I steem them first to get them tender then fry them up with the tops in olive oil and lots of garlic, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. He ate the whole thing, and said it was just delish! I laughed because I knew he had to be lying because I could not even chew it. He finally admitted that the stalks were just a little tough. LOL! He's such a good kid! LOL I guess he didn't want to hurt my feelings. Sorry for the story, but just wanted to share that with you all.
Trial and error I guess. But I do love it.
joyce

johno
July 8th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I just love broccoli raab! Pick it before it flowers (and certainly before it goes to seed!) and wilt it in olive oil. A little garlic and/or salt and pepper goes nice with it.

Jwilson455
July 11th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the ideas. My plants look beautiful but the stalk part is pretty stumpy and some are flowering with out growing up first. My plants are at least 12 inches apart so seemingly roomy. We'll see. Maybe good eats this weekend.

Jamie ;)

mrtomatoexpres
July 13th, 2006, 10:58 PM
hi cliff thats the pres of italy broccoli rabbi jwilson when you cook it use oliveoil and garlic with the rabbi itsa greata tastinga i grow it in spring and early fall you can grow in the witer if you have a window that you can put a pot need sun to you can do that with a lot of veggies also you can get a grow light sorry just notice i spelled cook wrong :p

Helen Wong-Joe
August 27th, 2006, 12:09 AM
are they easy to grow? how big of a plant will they get to be????

mrtomatoexpres
August 27th, 2006, 12:39 AM
helen just plant them and sit back they grow pretty quick about 45 50 days :)

Helen Wong-Joe
August 28th, 2006, 11:29 AM
okay and thanks mrtomatoexpres for the info. I'll plant some this fall and are they for fall planting???

sunmad strawgirl
August 28th, 2006, 11:53 AM
They do very well as a fall planting as well as in the early spring. Where you are they should over-winter as well. I eat the leaves as well as the little broccoli stalks. They are good both in salads and cooked. It has a nice nutty, broccoli taste to it and doesn't have the bitterness that mustard-greens can have. I have had good luck with it here in N. Cal - and if you are picking the greens and shoots as they grow, it can keep producing new greens for you for several months (if it stay cool enough). I'll probably start mine in the next couple of weeks.

Helen Wong-Joe
August 31st, 2006, 11:10 AM
With all this great talking about the broccoli raab I want to grow them, but can't find seeds to buy. Any suggestion(s)????

sunmad strawgirl
August 31st, 2006, 11:33 AM
I got my seeds for broccoli raab through Seeds of Change. I also have some if you'd like me to send you a few . . .

GreenZone
August 31st, 2006, 11:35 AM
We sell 'em at Baker Creek......"Rapini" is another name for it.

Helen Wong-Joe
August 31st, 2006, 09:28 PM
Hi sunmad strawgirl, thank you for the nice gesture and I do really appreciated. Maybe we could trade seeds, what would you like??? I bought alot of the fall stuff like rutabaga, shanghai green pak choy, black palm tree cabbage, and alot more. You can email me at helenwongjoe@yahoo.com and we can talk.

stonysoil
September 14th, 2006, 05:25 PM
that is one crop iom growing next year.. as im lucky here with crops that take cool weather.. i love sauteeing it with garlic and oliveoil a pinch of hot pepper and serving it over rice

evilsunflower
April 10th, 2009, 08:12 PM
This is my first year growing cole crops of any sort. Do you start broccoli rabe indoors like broccoli, or outdoors like other greens? They seem to be halfway in between and I can' figure out which way to go!

Liberty7
April 10th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I'm growing broccoli raab this year for the first time.

alina
April 12th, 2009, 04:27 AM
They grew really fast for us here, then bolted and started to go to seed, so I picked them and stir-fried them, all but the roots. They were not quite as bitter as mustard greens, but had a strong similar flavor, so at first I didn't like them. Then I tried them with some onions, beans, and roasted sesame oil and went out and planted some more! :)

So I guess the take-home message is that they grow fast, have a lot of flavor, and don't do as well when the weather is hot. But they were pretty much pest free for us, and that is saying a lot!

evilsunflower
April 12th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Did you start yours indoors or direct seed them outside?

Desert Rat
April 20th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I grow broccoli raab in the fall here from seed directly in the garden and the plants get about 3 ft. tall and produced a lot so we only need 2 or 3 plants. It does go to seed when it turns warm though. If you don't care for the somewhat bitter taste you can blanch them for a couple of minutes then use it but we really like the taste without that step.