PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION - OPINIONS WANTED

boston
July 7th, 2006, 07:23 AM
I have a question for y'all. I have a little experiment/project that I am taking on.

My brother has what seems to be garlic growing wild in a shady corner of his yard(looks like garlic, smells like garlic) but the bulbs are very small and the cloves are about the size of a kernel of corn.

He has been living there for about 20 years never had a garden so not sure where it came from or how long it has been growing there.

If I take it and put it in some good gared soil, fertilize it, work with it, do some selective planting etc... what are the chances of me getting it to grow into a descent size bulb :confused: :confused: I realize this will take several years if it does work at all.

Brook seems to be very knowlegable in this area so maybe she can give me some advice/direction, but I will be happy to take anybodys opinion.

Lavandula Girl
July 7th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Boston - unsure where you are, but here in zone 6B/7, we have invasive wild garlic, which never gets big bulbs, but sets new small ones constantly. I've heard the ramps are good cooking, kind of like green onions, but have never tried it. The biggest one I've ever dug up was only the size of a hazelnut, but the top was enormous. If I were you, I'd definitely do the experiment in a very contained space.... as I said, they're really hard to get rid of here! (PS.... Brook is a male.)

boston
July 7th, 2006, 09:35 AM
I live in Michigan. My brother lives in town if that means anything

ps thanks for the heads up....... :o sorry Brook :o

zebraman
July 7th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Hey Boston;The plant You are describing is False Garlic.Which has a cluster of small bulbs with No wrappers.This becomes an Invasive weed.At one time it was sold by Nursery's for flowers and erosion control.Until people realized what a problem this species was.Grow it in a pot.

And the thing with Brook-Is that Pre-Op or Post-Op?-

Cliff Timmons
July 7th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Poor Brook,..... emasculated right before our very eyes.

boston
July 10th, 2006, 07:08 AM
I did a google search on false garlic and it is not that.

It could be some kind of wild garlic and that is a good idea to keep it out of the main garden.

And yes Cliff that is a sad thing about Brook

Nutter
July 10th, 2006, 08:45 AM
http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/C867-all/C867-3-2.jpg

Wild garlic bulbs. Bulbs on the left still have the thin papery covering -- this covering is not reticulated (net-like) like that of wild onion. The bulbs on the right have had the papery covering removed.

Do they resemble these..

Nut

boston
July 10th, 2006, 11:51 AM
It looks closer to the one on the left. It has a scape growing from the center

Nutter
July 10th, 2006, 11:59 AM
The left side are the same as right.. just right ones are cleaned..

boston
July 10th, 2006, 01:05 PM
OK......I read your post wrong. I thought one was garlic and the other onion.

I know what I have is garlic. It is a small bulb with seperate cloves, it is a hardneck variety because it has a scape. What I dont know is wether or not it is a wild garlic or a cultivated variety that has gone wild.

I am not really expecting a lot out of it but I thought it would be fun to experiment with and see if I can get it to grow a decent size bulb.

Nutter
July 10th, 2006, 03:38 PM
see pics on this site it might be this..

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nursery-weeds/feature_articles/wild_garlic_email/wild_garlic.html

MichiganderGardener
July 11th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Boston,
I live in Michigan too and have wild garlic all around our fields. Go to the MSU cooperative extension service and it will give information and pic's of wild garlic.
Also their is a site www.thisgardenisillegal.com, that has information and pictures of wild garlic.
Wild garlic can be used as a garlic substitute in the Kitchen, or can be used as an insect repellant. It can be poisonous to some animals if digested in large quantities.
It reproduces by underground bulblets and the leaves are round and hollow. It is known as a perrenial weed and is hard to get rid of. If what you have is wild garlic (allium vineale) I really dont know if you can get the bulbs to produce larger bulblets by experimenting etc.. but good luck to you.
FYI... I thought Brook was female too, (sorry) but thank's for the heads up!

boston
July 11th, 2006, 08:14 AM
The leaves are not round and hollow they are long and flat.

Where is Brook? maybe he/she can clear this up.

That is one problem with being an anonymous faceless name on the internet. You can be anybody or anything you want and who would know.

BTW I live about 25 miles or so NE of Lansing

LoreD
July 11th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I think that you will have to e-mail him through the AHSC. He has not been posting on this site since 7-1-06. I believe that a member was rude to him.

I don't think he is coming back.

LoreD

zebraman
July 11th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Hey LoreD;You also said a couple of months ago you were Never coming back.But Here you are.If Brook has the same amount of integrity that You do he/she'll be back in a month or two as well.-

kimpossible
July 11th, 2006, 07:59 PM
Zebraman, I have been biting my tongue, HARD, regarding the rudeness of your posts. Knock it off & grow up. I have complained to the moderators, and suggest others do the same.

kimpossible
July 11th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Here is an exact quote of a PM Zebraman just sent to me, so all can see:

Chinook this is an open Forum.Hello-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey KP;No one on this site including the moderators have said anything to me.Also this has Nothing to do with You.So maybe you should take your own advice and grow up.

feldon30
July 11th, 2006, 08:51 PM
This forum is not really moderated or a minimum level of quality expected of its users. That is why people like zebraman are allowed to operate.

I would not feed into his negativity and I would consider other forums.

lovetogarden
July 11th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I don't see anything rude with Zebramans comments. He just stated a fact.

As for Brook, I did some research---he is a garden writer. That is all. Someone willing to take the title of Director. I may be wrong, but I never seen any horticultural degrees mentioned. And I do know that some of the info I,ve seen Brook post was wrong,

I notice that on all the forums there are a few people who like to believe anything they post is gospel and try to get the rest of the group to follow. I laugh at it because it reminds me of how easily people a persuaded by others. And even when the "know it all is wrong", everyonne gangs up on the person who is actually right. I see it on all the forums.
There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site. Brook is definitedly not the last say. And Zebraman has a lot to share.
Lets not play gang up.

kimpossible
July 11th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I agree with you, Feldon. I know of a good quality site that will not permit that type of behaviour. MUCH more pleasant there...

werecat
July 11th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Zebraman, I have been biting my tongue, HARD, regarding the rudeness of your posts. Knock it off & grow up. I have complained to the moderators, and suggest others do the same.

Funny, I don't find zebraman rude. Maybe a little... umn... sarcastic (would that be the right word?) at times, but never rude. He has been quite helpful to me and freely shared his experience and knowlege. Bit of a smart ***, yeah. But so are my father and best friend. I just look at them calmly and blow a big ol' bronx cheer and all is a good laugh. Maybe it's just that I am used to the same unique sence of humor, but I really don't think he means to be unkind. In fact he was one of the first ones to offer help and welcome me. I would be the absolute last to complain about him.

werecat
July 11th, 2006, 10:50 PM
The leaves are not round and hollow they are long and flat.

Where is Brook? maybe he/she can clear this up.

That is one problem with being an anonymous faceless name on the internet. You can be anybody or anything you want and who would know.

BTW I live about 25 miles or so NE of Lansing
Be that as it may, I would be willing to bet that that is wild garlic you have there. I'm a bit jealous. Since begining to plan my garden I have been looking for some to try to cultivate. I want to add wild produce to my garden as well as the regular domesticated. Nothing is better than wild asparagus! I used to collect wild garlic as a kid when we would go camping to add to the stew pot. One bulb only and about the size of a hazel nut is about right. In the fall it sends up the central stalk with the little clove thingies on top. Much sweeter than store garlic. we would peel the clove at the bottom and chop it right up the leaves to add to the stew. Delish!

lovetogarden
July 12th, 2006, 12:53 AM
werecat,
When you say that wild garlic has one bulb, did you mean like one big clove?
If so, does it just multiply in the ground or produce seed?

JackiMac
July 12th, 2006, 12:40 PM
I don't know what that is really but it sure is interesting! :) I have wild onions growing in my yard that look like the pic's in Nutter's photos - my kids dig'em up and eat them. I'd love to see how your project comes out - are you going to continue to grow this? Let us know how it goes and post pic's when you can ;)

In my opinion - I am with werecat and lovetogarden....I just haven't seen anything rude by Zebraman. Yes, sarcastic...a bit on the cheeky side and he's a pretty straight forward kind of guy - I like those qualities in a person. He calls'em as he sees'em. A lot of people do. For me....I usually get a huge laugh from reading some of Zebraman's posts - if you don't then maybe you take life far too seriously - he's a tongue in cheek kind of poster...many of you are...take Cliff for example and even Andy. Why flame Z only? I've been a member of this forum since it came online and I've been a member of GardenWeb and a few other sites and a few of you are very new members here and should maybe hang on to some of those flaming posts before you jump in...yes, we are all intitled to post and have opinions but I don't think you are very familiar with everyone here yet.
For me GardenWeb doesn't have what I need or what I am looking for....I rarely see anything helpful - at least on this forum I can get information from people who are insightful enough to know that what works for them may NOT always be the absolute correct way for all. I get a laugh or two on this forum...I get helpful information - and truly, many, many times it is Zebraman that gives me the information I seek and the help I need...many people here on the forums are hard working, helpful and generous individuals - Please, to those of you who constantly flame those with other ideas and who may have an unusual sense of humor....go back to GardenWeb if that is where you are from - some of you have posted on more than one occasion that you were leaving this forum and you do...until you decide it is time to come back and cause more trouble for those of us that don't have a problem with others- or just pass over the posts that YOU find to be rude. If Zebraman or Cliff or anyone else posts something I don't agree with...I usually just continue with my life and take into consideration what they have to say....sometimes they make me think my own values and ideas through a little more thoroughly. Heck, I'm not always right and my opinions change...they aren't set in stone so I am usually open to hearing more ideas and thoughts.

Zebraman's comments do not bother me...neither do anyone else's...except when the flamers take it upon themselves to crusade and they make a mess of other people's questions and posts. I found nothing wrong with Z's comments here or Cliff's...I did take exception to LoreD - kimpossible and feldon's posts though.

Me? I'm a hippie in spirit and thoughts I guess... so, I say...PEACE from the flamers and go elsewhere to do your talking if you must.

kimpossible
July 12th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Everyone has a right to contribute to a forum without being insulted, ridiculed, or the brunt of sarcasm.

I respect those that respect others.

When I see "veiled" sarcasm, digs, posts that are meant to insult others in an indirect manner, I do not respect that poster. And I do not have to put up with it. Therefore, I complained.

johno
July 12th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I agree with post # 24 and have a piece of advice for post # 25: there's an ignore this person button you can click on... "Can't we all just get along?"

Now you can have me erased for getting off topic.

johno

werecat
July 12th, 2006, 07:36 PM
werecat,
When you say that wild garlic has one bulb, did you mean like one big clove?
If so, does it just multiply in the ground or produce seed?

Its on clove. To be honest, I don't know for sure how it multiplies. I wish I did. I know the stalk that comes up in the fall puts out bulbits (although when I was little and collecting them for the stew pot I thought they were just immature seed pods or something) If it also spreads out under ground I couldnt be sure. Sorry.

werecat
July 12th, 2006, 07:41 PM
GO JackiMac!

tomakers
July 12th, 2006, 09:23 PM
JackiMac is right. I don't necessarilly agree with Zebraman, but his posts are generally less objectionable than those condemning him. He's certainly not the first to figure out the system to get things free from the government. Let's not be quite so selfrighteous. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

The thought police are coming for me.

Tom

kimpossible
July 13th, 2006, 12:31 AM
"He's certainly not the first to figure out the system to get things free from the government. Let's not be quite so selfrighteous."

Ummmmm, OK, so welfare fraud, tax evasion, any of those things that you can "figure out the system to get things free from the government" are acceptable, and the rest of us are self-righteous. :confused: :eek:

lovetogarden
July 13th, 2006, 12:48 AM
kimpossibe,

What need is there to continually change this threads topic and attack Zebraaman? As someone posted before there is an ignore button and the topic is concerning wild garlic. It was never about you. I think it best if the topic stays that, I kind of feel you only started posting to this thread for the sole purpose of personal attacks.

tomakers
July 13th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Ummmmm, OK, so welfare fraud, tax evasion, any of those things that you can "figure out the system to get things free from the government" are acceptable, and the rest of us are self-righteous.

I did not say that. I must have hit a nerve. Now I suppose I will be villified.

Think government grants, if you want an example. I'm sure you can think of plenty of giveaways by the government that are available legally once you know how to apply.

Tom

lovetogarden
July 13th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Well,I am sure I will not pick on you. I do hope this topic turns back to wild garlic. Everyone has me interested enough where I might want to grow some.

boston
July 13th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I am getting tired of this and if it does not get back on topic and stay there I will ask the moderator to close this thread.

johno
July 13th, 2006, 08:48 AM
My brother told me a story about a whole family eating what they thought was a type of wild onion and they all died from it. My thought was that someone told him a windy; I used to eat wild garlic when I was a kid - it grew on our schoolgrounds. Anyway, has anyone else ever hears of something like this?

werecat
July 13th, 2006, 06:05 PM
I'm still hunting in the wild areas at my parents to see if I can find any. They have everything else growing wild out there LOL Plums, pears, raspberries, grapes, asparagus, bergamont, briar roses, mulberries.... I swear at some point in the plots history it must have been an orchard or something. Still no wild garlic though :(

boston
July 14th, 2006, 06:00 AM
I have not heard of any stories like that but I know you cant just pick and eat anything out of the wild even if it does look and smell good. Some thing out there are poisiones(sp?)

Lavandula Girl
July 14th, 2006, 08:44 AM
There are plants out there that look like onions, but have no smell. If it doesn't smell like an onion or a garlic, I'd stay away from it. The weeds, aptly named Deathcomas, have been mistaken for edible by some campers. Maybe that's where the story Johno's brother heard came from.