PDA

View Full Version : When are beets ready?

Dramaqueen
July 23rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
I have some of those turnip type beets that long cylinder type that are about 3 inches pushed up from the soil. when are tehy ready to be picked? Do beets push themselves all the way up like a radish?
________
Child Prilosec (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/prilosec/)

Blanesgarden
July 23rd, 2008, 10:19 PM
Yes, in a way...
You can see the tops, and just take your finger and scratch around them.
If they look up to size, go ahead and pull one.
If not, wait another week or two. These are easy to grow, and you can even eat the greens, cook em down like you would anyother type of greens.
Glad you can grow them now, mine have to wait until the heat breaks this fall.:)

Dramaqueen
July 24th, 2008, 04:29 AM
Yes, in a way...
You can see the tops, and just take your finger and scratch around them.
If they look up to size, go ahead and pull one.
If not, wait another week or two. These are easy to grow, and you can even eat the greens, cook em down like you would anyother type of greens.
Glad you can grow them now, mine have to wait until the heat breaks this fall.:)

They are pushed up pretty high I can see them really well up above the ground. I wonder if I let them stay longer if they will get bigger? The greens on them looks so lovely and healthy. The regular beets didnt produce for me it was too dry. These seem to do well. And I have planted a few dozen in a container which seems to be doing wonderfully:D. I will plant more here in a week or two when I dig up those wretched poor grade low yield broccolis:mad:. My pack says I can eat them RAW:eek:....I never knew you can eat a beet raw:eek:
________
Zb50 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_ZB50)

Grimelda Snodpocket
July 24th, 2008, 04:45 AM
... My pack says I can eat them RAW:eek:....I never knew you can eat a beet raw:eek:

Raw beets are really nice in salad. My favourite combination is to mix grated beet with a little bit of grated apple and carrot, shredded red cabbage, sliced salad onion, flax seed and some pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. Very healthy and it tastes great. Sometimes I also mix in sunflower kernels and slivered almonds.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with the variety you have but if it were me I'd get them out now and plant some more. :D Personally I like my beets young and tender.

Hey are you getting any warm weather yet? It's finally got up to 27C here in Stockholm, for the first time since May. The predictions are that it will last a few more days and then go back to 22C. :( But at least no rain is forecast so we can go ahead and paint the house.

Dramaqueen
July 24th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Raw beets are really nice in salad. My favourite combination is to mix grated beet with a little bit of grated apple and carrot, shredded red cabbage, sliced salad onion, flax seed and some pepper, lemon juice and olive oil. Very healthy and it tastes great. Sometimes I also mix in sunflower kernels and slivered almonds.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with the variety you have but if it were me I'd get them out now and plant some more. :D Personally I like my beets young and tender.

Hey are you getting any warm weather yet? It's finally got up to 27C here in Stockholm, for the first time since May. The predictions are that it will last a few more days and then go back to 22C. :( But at least no rain is forecast so we can go ahead and paint the house.

I know waht you mean. I am like licking my chumps for them now, very tempting to pull them up and I may do that ont he weekend and replant a new batch. Yesterday the weather was 22C today it is supposed to be 27C I see some sun trying to sneak his head thru the clouds:rolleyes:, still feels cold to me.

here is a link to the beets I have, this is the EXACT and same identical beet and pack and brand I have here, I am sure you know it and can get it there

http://www.samenhaus.de/images/product_images/info_images/875_0.jpg

that salad sounds lovely, I love to grate half ripe nectarines in my salads as well not green but not totally squishy:D. I will have to do this salad you mentioned it sounds just lovely and refreshing
________
Infant zoloft (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/zoloft/)

Jackie-T
July 24th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Yes I grow that beet. I pick mine when they are about 2" thick as big in circumfrence as a golf ball. I like them to can as they give a lot of slices per beet and it is very easy to see how big they are without digging like the small round ones. Another beet I like is Lutz green leaf also called winter keeper. It gets huge bigger than a soft ball and stays tender and sweet.

Dramaqueen
July 25th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Yes I grow that beet. I pick mine when they are about 2" thick as big in circumfrence as a golf ball. I like them to can as they give a lot of slices per beet and it is very easy to see how big they are without digging like the small round ones. Another beet I like is Lutz green leaf also called winter keeper. It gets huge bigger than a soft ball and stays tender and sweet.

If I cut the greens off the ones i wont pick and leave maybe the inside leaf will it still continue to grow? I will pick one beet today and see how is is doing, they sure are sticking up a lot from the dirt
________
Kid Wellbutrin (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)