PDA

View Full Version : Kamo Eggplant

Crocodile
July 25th, 2008, 08:54 PM
To the best of my knowledge, I've never eaten eggplant before.

I planted a Japanese heirloom called "Kamo." Today, the skin of the largest fruit was looking a bit waxy or rubbery, and when I gave a gentle squeeze, the flesh wasn't really hard anymore. Even though it was only 2.5-3 inches wide, I harvested it to see if it was "ripe," whatever that means for an eggplant.

I cut it in half (it's a squat, roundish, flat-bottomed fruit) and took a little nibble of the raw flesh. I was worried that it was going to be bitter, but there was only the slightest hint of bitterness. I could just BARELY detect it. It was a note of flavor that was easily overwhelmed by a light sweetness in the flesh that frankly surprised me.

The flesh looked like it was the color of eggplants that I've seen in pictures. There was a little bit of green tint to one side of the fruit. Oddly, in addition to the grouping of seeds in the center of the fruit, there was a single layer of seeds around the outer edge of it, too! It looked very strange.

The seeds are just starting to form. I put some olive oil on my little eggplant and heated it in the microwave for about one minute, slightly over-cooking it and turning it a little bit brownish. It was sweet and really far better tasting than I imagined it would be. One seed was big enough to get caught between my teeth, but didn't look like it was very mature at all.

I only ate two or three bites, because I've read that young eggplants can be toxic to some people. I'm going to wait until they're closer to 4" across before I cut any more, if they get that big.

Does anyone else grow this heirloom? Has anyone else seen a layer of seeds around the outer edge of the flesh before? I couldn't find any pictures of it on the internet, but I didn't look very hard yet, either.

Train
July 25th, 2008, 10:07 PM
To the best of my knowledge, I've never eaten eggplant before.

I planted a Japanese heirloom called "Kamo." Today, the skin of the largest fruit was looking a bit waxy or rubbery, and when I gave a gentle squeeze, the flesh wasn't really hard anymore. Even though it was only 2.5-3 inches wide, I harvested it to see if it was "ripe," whatever that means for an eggplant.

I cut it in half (it's a squat, roundish, flat-bottomed fruit) and took a little nibble of the raw flesh. I was worried that it was going to be bitter, but there was only the slightest hint of bitterness. I could just BARELY detect it. It was a note of flavor that was easily overwhelmed by a light sweetness in the flesh that frankly surprised me.

The flesh looked like it was the color of eggplants that I've seen in pictures. There was a little bit of green tint to one side of the fruit. Oddly, in addition to the grouping of seeds in the center of the fruit, there was a single layer of seeds around the outer edge of it, too! It looked very strange.

The seeds are just starting to form. I put some olive oil on my little eggplant and heated it in the microwave for about one minute, slightly over-cooking it and turning it a little bit brownish. It was sweet and really far better tasting than I imagined it would be. One seed was big enough to get caught between my teeth, but didn't look like it was very mature at all.

I only ate two or three bites, because I've read that young eggplants can be toxic to some people. I'm going to wait until they're closer to 4" across before I cut any more, if they get that big.

Does anyone else grow this heirloom? Has anyone else seen a layer of seeds around the outer edge of the flesh before? I couldn't find any pictures of it on the internet, but I didn't look very hard yet, either.

Sorry Croc!
I wish I could help you but the only eggplant
I grow is Violetto di firenze though I have
grown black beauty in the past.
I either fry mine serving that as a side dish or
bread it, grill it till browned then bake it in a
favorite dinner of mine.
I hope someone else can help you.
I can say that egg plant seed is most
often very small.
Train

pepperhead212
July 25th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Hi Croc,

I have grown this variety before, but only once, as it was late, and not very productive at all. Good flavor, with no bitterness, even when seeds developed quite a bit in the larger ones, which did develop a pattern, as you described. And I have eaten many small, immature eggplants, and I am still alive today!

SpaceAge
July 25th, 2008, 11:01 PM
All the Japanese ones I've ever grown , you are supposed to pick them when they are small ... I'd be askin the supplier of the plants / seeds what the heck is the right size to start fryin' up some eggplants ...

BTW : I planted 30 seeds this spring ... the pack of seeds was bogus ( Thanks WalMart ) not 1 even sprouted ...

perhaps the Fall Garden ... gets going here next week ...

Good Luck !

Space'

yorkerjenny7
July 28th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Crocodile, according to my knowledge, 1 eggplant has nicotine equal to 1 cigarette. I heard that any eggplants' taste get bitter in cold climates. But also there are many varieties, different tastes.
Generally, the seeds are more through to the bottom. If you get a junk plastic supermarket variety, you can even see very big seeds. For good varieties it shouldn't be like that.
There are many ways to cook eggplant, since yuo even try raw and very slightly cooked, probably, you'll enjoy other ways to eat.
I personally love as fried. If you slice them and keep in salty water for a while, it doesn't suck oil so much when you fry. Before fry them drain and put to paper towel to get rid of extra water.
If frying is too heavy for you, slice them, put to a tray, a little bit oil to top, put to the oven.
If you like bbq, or if you live in apt and you can't have bbq, then put whole eggplant with it's skin to top of the cooktop with med. heat. When the skin burns, the inside will be soft, it means it's done. Then wait for few min. to cool down, peel the skin, mix inside with olive oil, crushed garlic, salt, black pepper, plain yogurt, serve cold as appetizer.
Eggplant dish: fry the sliced eggplants and keep aside. Also in a pan, mix ground beef, chopped onion, oil, salt, when the groundbeef is brown, add some tomato paste for chopped tomato, some water, garlic, blackpepper. 1 min is enough. Then you can use the same pan, push the mix aside, put the eggplants to the bottom of the pan, top of them this mix, above tomato slices for decoration, some chopped parsley, even fried sweet pepper sticks. Add more water, cook with low-med. heat.
Sorry, I can't attach any picture in this moment, but when my eggplants grow, I'll cook, take pics. and post here, if anybody wonders.
There is also Yugoslavian recipe as appetizer, it's sold in jars in some supermarket. bbqed red sweet pepper and eggplant, olive oil, crushed garlic, salt, hot chilli pepper powder. Mix everything in a blender.
I hope you enjoy your eggplants. Personally I didn't like brussel sprouts, one recipe, I love them so much, I planted 21 plants this year. So, I hope you can find that killing recipe for your eggplants, too.

camochef
July 29th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Camo don't do eggplant, no matter how you spell it!

Crocodile
July 29th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Wow! I can't wait to try some of those methods of preparation.

It was very good raw, and it was very good microwaved in a little olive oil with some pepper. I'd always heard eggplant was bitter, but this one tasted great without any salting/sweating/rinsing at all. I think I'm going to let the next one go longer and see if it'll actually get to 4" wide in my garden/environment. If the next one tastes as good as the first, I'm sure going to try to grow them again next year.

seethroughcanoe
July 30th, 2008, 05:05 AM
yea i also got a "dud" pack of eggplan seeds from walmart

out of the 40ish plants only 5 actually sprouted and of those only 3 made it to bear fruit.

Tim
July 30th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I grew crescent moon hybrid ones along with my black beauty ones a few years ago. All I can say for crescent moon is wow.. I had so many eggplants, and they wouldnt stop, I'd think I got them all and then the next day 4 or 5 more would be ready to pick off 1 plant. I did grow this plant next to a pond that every time it rains overflows and drains off, maybe that was the reason. I think the seeds were from burpee, someone gave them to me, but im pretty sure.