IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

hikingonthru January 19, 2009 08:06 PM

What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

This past weekend, I just had enough of work and being indoors. My little garden area looked really shaggy and so I set to work on it.

I laid a tarp beside each of my raised beds. I then shoveled out all the soil onto the tarp. It had gotten down to freezing and the top couple inches was frozen and all the weeds and roots were coming up in big chunks. These got tossed into the area that is not raised beds to amend that soil (red clay). I also did a grub search. Those nasty little cutworm grubs are really common and I find sometimes nearly a dozen in one 4x8 bed! I am sure there are more I missed. I had some leaves I saved from fall. To what little soil was left in the bottom of the beds (which are all told 2 feet deep) I mixed in leaves and mixed really thick and well. On top of that dirt. Then a layer of leaves for a couple inches. Then more dirt. Then half rotted hay in a layer. Then more dirt. Then more leaves. Then about 4-5 inches of dirt on top. What little fresh kitchen scraps and eggshells I had got added deep and incorporated with the first mixing of leaves. One bed is 4 foot below groundline for growing deep running root crops (sweet taters) and garlic. That was fun to empty up!

I STILL got a ton of leaves left. It was not much really...and I am not sure what good this year...if any...it will really do. but I had fun doing it!

Finally, a layer or chicken wire to keep my dogs from doing their own mixing of the layers.

spencerules January 19, 2009 08:26 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

I've got two beds that had winter squash in them last year and the squash went crazy, so I didn't get good grass control over them (first year and all). So I'm killing out the fescue with some plastic mulch. The beds are only 70 ft or so, so it's not too much of a trial.

I'm waiting on my soil tests so I can lime and then cover the beds with chopped leaves. I got the hook up with the local university, so I've got around a 100 huge bags of leaves, hopefully it'll be enough.

Dreaming of planting potatoes and lettuce...

tomatoman223 January 19, 2009 08:53 PM

Looking out the back window and wishing I could do something out there,but with 6 inches of snow and frost to two feet I think I would be wasting my time:).

I do have some basil growing in a pot,at least getting some green in my life till' spring.

bellzeybubba January 19, 2009 08:56 PM

I spent my weekend on my ornamental bed, cutting back the terribly overgrown perennials and mulching.

The veggie bed still has stuff growing in it and I'm still floundering around still trying to figure out what to do with it next, so I let it be while I tackled the area that's more familiar.

lorna-organic January 19, 2009 09:07 PM

I finished pulling dead plants from my produce area. I collected a couple of bags of leaves in town to add to compost. I've also been clearing a new area. The area is outside of the house fence. I have a couple of acres, about one third is fenced in around the house for the safety of my dogs. I'm going to add additional fencing and a gate for a new produce area just beyond the house yard. Anyway, I was surprised to see how different the soil is in the new area. The house yard has sandy soil. The new area has loamy red clay soil. It digs up really easily. Might be some really good soil!

flaquita January 19, 2009 09:14 PM

I covered half of the future summer squash bed with fresh horse manure and a tarp, now have to pik up more poo to cover the other half. I doubled the size of my garden by laying down composted horse manure and bedding, am now adding Alpaca manure and chicken manure to that to get it ready for the spring/summer crops. Meanwhile I am watering my kohlrabi and greens and radishes and counting the days to harvesting all of them. In the next couple of days I will have to find new homes for cauliflower babies and transplant tomato and pepper and tomatillo babies...
I am trying for 4 season gardening here....
Andrea

BrianS January 19, 2009 09:51 PM

Earlier I set the garden on fire then shoveled a new load of turkey manure on it. Cant do anything now coz the ground is frozen as hard as a brick lol

Blanesgarden January 19, 2009 10:18 PM

Moving the Chicken Tractor about...
Digging up last years Rows/Patches/Mounds...
Adding Lime, Bone Meal, and Catfish Guts...
Piling on in the Leaf bend...
Turning compost...
Planning on grinding Stumps in the Lot...
Chain Saw/Weed Eater maintenance...
Burning more timber, and spreading ash...
Chasing 8-ball(my cat) out of RBs...
Sharpening Tools...Shovel/Spade/Knives/Blades..etc...
Collecting Rain Water?

Other than that, Not much...Kinda slow right now:D

gulfcoastguy January 19, 2009 10:35 PM

I spent today getting people's requests for my extra tomato, pepper, and eggplant transplants. My new seed starter kit has 72 cells and I allways have way more seed of each type than I have room for plants. My folks were talking about how expensive groceries are getting so they might be plowing up new garden space this year.

camochef January 20, 2009 01:39 AM

I'm looking out the window at the snow that's covering it wondering... when will it go above freezing so it will begin to melt? and... when will this stop, it's driving me crazy???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q4cb...eature=related

redneckplanter January 20, 2009 01:46 AM

praying....

TennOC January 20, 2009 04:59 AM

Making a new plan, with this site.....
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/

gardencrazy January 20, 2009 05:26 AM

There's a foot & a half of snow out there. I'm still composting. Trugging through the snow to get to the garden. I'm also participating in seed swaps. I mostly plotted out what I was going to grow last week. Next month, I'll winter sow some and start some seeds inside.

CountryKitty January 20, 2009 06:45 AM

Sorting out seeds saved/leftover from the previous couple of years and trying like mad to figure out how I wound up with 24 OP varieties of tomato...plus one freaking F1 hybrid.

Trying like mad to figure out how to plant all of them on my place, with enough space between to prevent cross-pollinating, so I can save all fresh seed for planting/trading NEXT January.

Digging out all my seed starting stuff out of the shed and trying like mad to figure out if I have enough for all the seeds I want.

Cussing like mad because I still have to prune all my fruit trees.

Good thing there's a madhouse 20 miles down the road. ;)

Silentmeow January 20, 2009 07:25 AM

I'm watching 21 deer fight over the brussel sprouts I left in the garden! They clean off the stalks every winter so nothing goes to waste. It's fun to watch them dig through the deep snow until they locate the stalk, then they fight over who gets to eat the treasure! In the meantime I'm drawing plans for the garden this Spring. I love winter but this year I really understand why people winter in Florida!

LibertyGardener January 20, 2009 07:29 AM

Starting seeds. Babying new starts. Hoarding newspaper and cardboard. Looking for rotted manure, compost and rain barrels. Looking for trellising materials. Ordering more seeds, waiting on the mail. Trying to convince my husband that plants like pee, and we should save it. :eek: :o

Kiddos and I will be out tomorrow covering the new bed areas with cardboard or black plastic, and building the cold frame. I need to go pick up my straw bales too.

Ajla January 20, 2009 08:18 AM

A cold nip still in the air, but sunny, so I got myself some parsnips, carrots and leek from the garden to go in a pumpkin soup, and some radicchio, mache and miner's lettuce for my salad Tidied up a bit, got my flask of tea out and noticed the first tricolour violets.This feels soooooooooooo good!

lorna-organic January 20, 2009 08:21 AM

You are seeing signs of spring, Ajla? Crocus and wild verbena are the first to produce flowers on my property. The verbena has sprouted all over the place, but no sign of buds yet.

Ajla January 20, 2009 08:35 AM

The lilac and blackcurrant have really fat buds!

RozieDozie January 20, 2009 08:48 AM

In our home/yard garden, beds are full of winter veggies and I still have lots of herbs. I picked a pound and a half of green peas yesterday for dinner. New peas (snow/sugar snap) are planted and I planted radishes from Baker Creek yesterday. Onion sets will go in next weekend.

I'm out of room now in this leased yard. Only one sunny spot left because of the fast growing hackberry tree that is shading everything. The one remaining sunny spot is where all of the cables are buried, so I'm going to put in a long, narrow lasagna garden one cement block high so as not to disturb the wires. Hope it doesn't cause a problem... :o

I've started collecting cardboard boxes for the bottom and hubs went yesterday and got a pickup load of free wood mulch from the tree trimming company nearby.

I'm going to make the 50' long lasagna garden bed next weekend. I've never done one before but I'm excited about the prospect!

louanne January 20, 2009 10:53 AM

I am not doing too much right now...ground is way hard...other than planting a few seeds..pretty much everything is doing it on its own for now....and I probably would ahve waited on the seed starting of tomato pepper and eggplant..if I could have afforded to get away for a few weeks...
Ihave decreased my numbers considerably thisyear...
My cold frame ground area is still to cold to do anything with....
and my body does not cooperate in the cold...to much pain...and I dispise admiting that more than anything...
a warm day would be nice so I can stay outside....but I am guessing I am learning the extreme art of patience and gratefulnes of just being alive....
I am working on it...its just not happening easily today...
Mygarlic is doing well...my hot house it doing well....I should ahve a few more sees to stick into a few more pots today later.....
and then its off to another week of work tomorrow till I can hope for days off with some warm sun...and I mean HOPE....

tashak January 20, 2009 11:24 AM

I have about 1-2 hours midafternoon now when it is warm enough to water or saw dead downed tree branches or dig stones up from garden plots or put hand torn shredded newspaper down in the bottom of dug up garden plots and then shovel some dirt on top of it.
Still catalog dreaming, and hope to order after I get to the credit union later this week and then billpay, then seed order.

reubenT January 20, 2009 12:15 PM

starin at the dream books (seed catalogs) and watchin the snow fall.

DebbieG January 20, 2009 01:56 PM

I'm with all you in the colder climates....Just watching it snow.... hoping for a thaw and warmer temps...wishing the sun would shine....and dreaming of tomatoes.....<sigh>....

Oh well, Spring will get here someday, after all it is ONLY the middle of January!

DebbieG

Cliff Timmons January 20, 2009 02:00 PM

I just burned off the asparagus yesterday.

ovenbird January 20, 2009 02:03 PM

I am thanking God for the protective blanket of snow on my garden. Keeps wind from stealing soil. Keeps soil from drying out. Insulates microbes from extreme cold. It's all good.

Thanking God I am in So CA and not in Iowa to see the snow.

morgan January 20, 2009 02:31 PM

Eating huge bowls of fresh lettuce and arugula!

Imp January 20, 2009 02:33 PM

I am plotting on some of the dairy farmers a couple towns over- on the manure piles they have sitting about!

This sounds sooooo very strange....

I have designs on their manure piles.

Only on a garden forum could I openly state such an intention, LOL!

Locavore January 20, 2009 02:55 PM

We've had a flood of freaky unseasonal weather here in the bay area--up to the 70's and 80's in some areas :eek:! Among all the many reasons this is a bad thing is the small personal detail that this false spring is making me CRAZY TO PLANT THINGS!!!!

I'm being good and restraining myself, though. I've planted a few onions and garlic, some random other things that might do ok now.

I"m spreading compost and cleaning up beds. Contemplating what to do with certain choice spots; wondering how I'll find room to isolate all the beans I want to plant. Turning the compost.

Harvested a ton of rosemary off the huge bush to make some more room in that plot. I started a bunch of chard, spinach, and other spring greens in the greenhouse, and tending them. Getting ready to start tomatoes, peppers, gooseberries, etc.

Oh, and trying to figure out how I can grow potatoes in a tub, as was suggested somewhere on the forum. I've only got one tub at the moment, so I might have to break down and buy some more.

MOstly, though, WAITING FOR SPRING!!!:D

louanne January 20, 2009 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Okay so the sun was out this afternoon....and it got near 40...so I threw on some layers and went outside whilst I ran clean up and defrag and such on the 'puter.
We sized up the new 'tater bed...filled a few new "box gardens" with soil mix that went into the hot house to be planted later....
I checked up on the strawberry patch and dug some worm castings into it....and remulched...
the biggest fun of the day was turning the area that the sunchokes were in and pulling up a real nice harvest of them...some we are gonna eat...others got replanted

Worked on the( I am gonna stop calling it a cold frame it is now being called/will be a hoop( once I put the hoops in) cause it isnt warming up as it is....and I don't have the glass..ehh..it'll happen sometime....

so there...I did something...