IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

hikingonthru May 7, 2009 10:46 AM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Weeded all that 'muda grass that snuck in on the edge of the front edible landscaping bed today. We have had, blessedly, tons of rain this week and the weeding is easier to keep up with if done every few days.

Dreading turning the compost b/c I saw muda grass shoots coming out the side.

Learning to try to co-exist peacefully with 'muda grass...though it is the plant equivalent of the uni-bomber and really hard to love.

Watched the vining beans and some of the cukes/luffas we planted starting to sprout after the rain and warmth.

Oh yeah...learning that when I ask at service stations with coffee makers and coffee houses...coffee grounds are already spoken for.
Sorta sad to have to hunt up those...but glad so many people are into organic composting and vermiculture!

Need to spread the DE to keep slugs off my pepper plants in the front bed!

Got 6 half-gallon jars and since eggs were 78cents the dozen on sale at Ingles, I bought nearly a gross of eggs so I can make pickled eggs. - Segway -Nothing on a hot garden day like a cold Nehi and a couple chilled pickled eggs!

Glad my arugula bolted early in one bed so I can get seeds early and whack it down!

Harvesting the last of the mesclun bed for dinner tonite.

Wondering when it will be dry enough to get okra and beans in the ground!

HomesteadMommy May 7, 2009 02:55 PM

Today we planted out lots of carrots (4x32 bed), and some dill, swish chard and green onions. Then I got rained out....

Other then that we've been building and filling raised beds and a new little greenhouse.

FarmerCathy May 7, 2009 04:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Put some rudbeckia, sweet william, and snapdragons in for cut flowers. After 5" of rain last weekend it was very muddy. I have the proof too.

TastyofHasty May 7, 2009 08:17 PM

eewwwwwwww ... Farmer Cathy, great shot. Now, that's LIVING!

Today I just planted my little tomato and pepper and eggplant plants.

One thing about "experience;" with a couple years experience in eating tomatoes and peppers out of my own garden, each little plant seems valuable to me, I kind of tuck it in to the earth and think, "you are in a nice sunny place here, you will like it here, soon you will be a giant tomato (or pepper, or okra) plant from which I will be picking FOOD!"

But also found a nice long-ish piece of valuable chicken wire! so I could fence in ANOTHER garden area, this one the erstwhile "compost pile!" Intent is to do the "three sisters" with okra (we don't eat much corn on Blood Type Diet), beans and squash. Also that might help keep the bermuda grass at bay.

Hikingonthru, I hear ya about the bermuda.

lorna-organic May 8, 2009 12:45 PM

I'm taking a break from putting up a hogwire fence. I'm affixing chicken wire to the hogwire, so rabbits cannot get through the fence. I didn't measure right. I'm short twenty feet of fencing! What an idiot I am!! This project is going to take a few more days, because I won't have time to buy more wire until next week. Phooey, phooey, phooey...

hikingonthru May 8, 2009 01:19 PM

Dusted the peppers with DE this a.m. Got about a 1/2 inch of rain and it all washed off. Do again this afternoon I reckon.

Started out with 6 stevia seedlings and lost all but 2. Yesterday, one bit the dust. Potted up the other one and hope it makes it. These things take a long time, no?

hikingonthru May 8, 2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TastyofHasty (Post 274281)
Hikingonthru, I hear ya about the bermuda.

Bermudagrass is the Devil's weed. If you go to hell, every lawn is a bermudagrass lawn...and not the good kind...it is the kind I have here in my yard. Satan put out plugs when noone was looking!

fhalloran May 8, 2009 06:53 PM

Ok, it briefly stopped raining this morning so I:

Dug out a platform for two cement tiles, put them in place, situated the yard-waste herbie on them, then trimmed back the tulip tree so I can get the can in and out.

Planted a bunch of pepper plants, some in my raised bed and two in a pot.

Planted my lemon verbena in a pot with some flowers for fun.

Re-arranged my drip system in the raised bed, tacking it down with landscape pins.

Put together one of those irrigation sticks that use a 2-liter bottle and inserted it into the verbena pot for use later (when the sun comes back).

Moved a few more bits of stone over to the "path" I'm building super-slowly.

Then I retreated inside and watched the massive thunderstorm take over watering-in my plants. Thanks, thunderstorm! Oh, you have to go now? And it'll be sunny for days and days? No problem! Have a nice life! Don't come back for a while because I'm soooo sick of rain, 'kay????

TastyofHasty May 8, 2009 08:08 PM

Today's gardening started out with running out during a lull in the thunderstorms to plant okra seed in the erstwhile "compost pile" which is now reasonably dug down to dirt in various places by my industrious three chickens.

Then after the thunderstorms quit raining for a while, planted a lot of seeds. I do not even remember what-all they were. Marengo Romano beans, a little more lettuce, Something di Trento beans, a few loofah seeds, yard-long beans all around the top of my "pankar-huyu-to-be," lime basil, marigolds, petunias, stevia (I'm just starting the seed! there was very little of the tiny seed in the packet, not from BC), sage, 5 precious Texas Longhorn Cowpeas (out of 10 in a trade) ... I suppose there was more, but that's what I'm remembering now!

Whew. I feel good, actually.:D

springfever May 8, 2009 09:25 PM

praying (smile) Actually, it got tilled yesterday and then the storms came, again. I have never had this much water here. We are up really high and it just keeps raining and raining and raining.
I wanted so badly to get it raked and ready so i could put some things in the ground. Help me!! I need to plant something!!!

jadek May 9, 2009 07:31 AM

Made & installed tulle cover for the half-rabbit-eaten broccoli to keep out the cabbage moths that were fluttering around yesterday. Hoping the rain today is enough to keep those moths from the Brussels Sprouts until another cover is completed.

Happy that the strange, lone, lobed, mystery leaf that sprouted last year in a bare patch of the flower bed turned into a peony this year! The peony I moved two years ago turned out to be two peonies, different colors, when I dug it up, so maybe this is a third one making an appearance?

Wondering if my swiss chard will EVER grow true leaves. The sprouts look happy enough, but aren't doing anything new. They were direct-sown outside about 4 weeks ago, along with lettuce that is in the same condition.

Wishing the elderly "neighborly" guy next door would stop trying to be helpful by mowing our ditch, as he keeps lopping down the yarrow planted behind my mailbox. Put 4-foot stakes behind them this year so he can't get to my plants without removing the stakes; maybe that will help.

Hoping to ID the beautiful flowering tree-ish thing in the yard of the empty house next door. Gorgeous delicate pink blooms on shoots growing from an old chopped down tree trunk. Looks similar to my cherry (which has white flowers), but not quite the same. Maybe I can get a cutting to root... :)

HomesteadMommy May 9, 2009 11:48 AM

Last night I started 3 flats. 2 different tomatoes and basil.

Today we are getting lots of rain so not working out side. Planning to start some more seeds latter.

gulfcoastguy May 9, 2009 12:15 PM

Watering the plants. The cherry tomatos and one hot pepper have fruit one them. The kiwanos, cucumbers, and other peppers are blooming. The blueberries should start to ripen in a couple of weeks providing the birds don't find them first.

bellzeybubba May 9, 2009 01:20 PM

Yesterday I went out to one of the local elementary school's garden plot, and with the help of the woman who runs it (and also runs the local farmer's market), a teacher, and a bunch of kids we weeded then planted 3 kinds of corn, beans, and squash for a three sisters demonstration garden. We know it's not the correct way to do it to plant them all at once but we needed to get it all in now since we need to have something growing by mid-June.

Today I weeded. I planted okra & tepary beans in anticipation of the long hot dry summer. I planted some Cherokee popcorn on the edge of an ornamental bed that borders on a ditch, if the weedy grass grows so big and strong there why not corn? I side-dressed my tomatoes, cucumbers, and the bigger eggplants and peppers with compost. I'm going to take a break now and run up to the local nursery to see if they got river ferns in yet. Later I've got to do some work on the ornamental area still expanding by our new "patio" area.

OneoftheEarls May 9, 2009 08:59 PM

'bout 150 tomato varieties in the greenhouse or at home, two gardens tilled...put in two rows of potatoes...have a few odds and ends to get started.

We are tilling up the community garden with the new PTO tiller Tuesday.

More than doubling the community garden.

Earl

Marty in Springfield May 9, 2009 09:51 PM

Waiting for it to stop raining and dry up a bit in southern Missouri. The rain has put me at least two weeks behind. Going to drive to Arkansas tomarrow and pick up a few tomato plant varieties that I want from a fellow Baker Creek web member.

gerry May 9, 2009 10:54 PM

Weeded a bit between showers. UGH! Just a couple more hours of weeding to do and I can start all over again. :)

But now I have sprouts and I can tell in many places what's veggies and what's weeds! A step in the right direction.

gerry

sharon1957 May 10, 2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by springfever (Post 274754)
praying (smile) Actually, it got tilled yesterday and then the storms came, again. I have never had this much water here. We are up really high and it just keeps raining and raining and raining.
I wanted so badly to get it raked and ready so i could put some things in the ground. Help me!! I need to plant something!!!

I so relate. It's rained here in Tulsa almost every day for two weeks. One of my coworkers had 3 inches in two hours last Friday, and then 2 inches in one hour just 18 hours later. Very variable with small thunderstorms roaming at will.
We had only sprinkles throughout the day yesterday (Saturday) so DH and I put in the 32 ft trellis made of crape myrtle. Ran out of light so we still need to make two more knots, then weave long whippy mimosa limbs through it horizontally, then (Oh JOY!) I can plant the tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, ground cherries, c. huckleberries, squash, melons, and especially zukes that are taking over my desk on the west side. I hope to get them all in today, although we have an 80% of thunderstorms for the whole day (and most of the next week)....
We need to put landscape cloth under the roses (we have three buds and one open bloom on the rugosa rosa rubra hedge we planted last month -- so pretty!). And I have more digging to do to even out the moat around the biggest raised bed (the one with the new trellis -- on top of this raised bed on the street side of the garden, when it is covered with leafy vines it will provide privacy while working the other beds, and also for our patio).
Something ate almost all of my pretty little purple basil plant; I told DH I suspected rabbits, and just a few hours later we heard the rabbit-raising neighbor checking with other neighbors about a bunny missing from his pens.... Guess we're buying a live trap ASAP. Might have been a bird though; there appeared to be bird poop on the uphill side of the remains. (The herbs are going on the sides of the raised beds, to add stability.)
Gotta finish this lovely jasmine tea and get back out there. Happy gardening to you all.

TastyofHasty May 10, 2009 08:17 AM

Trying to figure out what to do with the sweet potato slips that are still growing out of two sweet potatoes. From what I've been reading on iDig, I'm just going to rip the slips off the sweet potatoes, and plant them in a big pot of composty-dirt to root, so they can be planted later. And I guess prepare some place for them to grow.:confused:

Robby May 10, 2009 08:49 AM

Pickin' bluegrass!

They love it:cool:

gulfcoastguy May 10, 2009 09:57 AM

Tasty, we allways planted the slips straight into the garden. You just have to be sureto keep them well watered for a while.

blackberrygrl May 11, 2009 08:38 AM

I spent Mother's Day out in the garden. My husband and I put together the tomato support (posts with a PVC pipe along the top) and the cuke/bean trellis (posts with hog wire). We also ran our soaker hose from our rain barrel down along the center of each row. It's starting to look like a real garden!

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...n/DSC03501.jpg

catkittycat May 11, 2009 09:45 AM

we went to lowes on saturday for general stuff, getting more cheap bricks for bordering the front yard beds. then low and behold a shrubary clearance! we have wanted to plant a front yard hedge since we moved in. we always looked at boxwoods but there were 32 dwarf japanese hollies. so cute. we bought them all and planted them that night. we usually plant sunflowers there, got some bonus sunflowers in that area from the seed dropping from last years flowers. we are still planting the sun flowers in the front of the tiny hedge and we will transplant the volunteers to their proper place in rows.

the okra is up! so are the bush beans, cucumbers, squash and some of the melons. bless this rain. i know it sucks we cant really get in to weed or plant w/o getting muddy but I haven't watered in weeks. we haven't had to put in the irrigation yet.

sharon1957 May 14, 2009 07:04 AM

After planting out all the seedlings I had started indoors, most of them were destroyed in a day or two or three by something (birds?) that snipped them off just below the first leaves, leaving just the stem sticking up.
So yesterday I bought new plants (not all heirloom, I'm afraid, but there is limited availability here) and planted 17 tomatoes, mulching them heavily with straw, before running out of steam.
Two hours later we had our first serious hail storm of the year.
Still raining this morning but I can see green sticking up on the mulched bed.
The other bed, with unmulched peppers and hills of viney stuff, just looks like bumpy mud.
Good thing I ran out of steam before planting those tall peppers I bought....

karlkatzke May 14, 2009 01:12 PM

Some days you eat from the garden, some days the garden eats from you...

TastyofHasty May 14, 2009 03:20 PM

karlkatzke, EVERY time I go outside in the present weather, SOMEthing eats some bit of me! I've started USING my "plantain-infused-oil" for itches ... it helps.

Planted sweet potato slips. 7 of them. That's 6 more than I planted last year.

Started digging a long terrace into the inside slope of my "pankar-huyu to-be," plus a ramp to get down to the bottom ... much easier NOW when the dirt is wet.

And Sharon1957, I sure hope you didn't lose everything again!

vegascowgirl May 14, 2009 04:51 PM

The weeds and grass are keeping me busy. Each time I'm out in the garden I take about five minutes +/- to pull weeds and grass out of the veggie beds. Sowed my second bunch of carrots, and third bunch of radish.
getting the flowers growing around the perimeter of the garden now as well. Planted some extra tomato plants in the flower garden outside the front door.
harvesting bunches of spinach and lettuce (although my iceberg is not heading up at all ), but my Jersey wakefeild cabbage has a long time to go yet. Getting a little antsy as we will start getting real warm, real soon.

hikingonthru May 15, 2009 12:01 AM

Planted a fast dozen tomatoes at our farm yesterday...rutgers and early girls. Noting makes the digging go faster than a 3-point hitch posthole auger. Mixed that clay soil with composted rabbit droppings and some "wood dirt" from below the leafmold layer in our hardwood lot.

There, we are trying a sort of no-till tomato patch method...just dig deep holes with the auger and amend the clay. It helps with water retention on the roots and it keeps from having to take up valuable bean and wheat growing space in the "garden". Also, nothing has been grown on that land but grass/pasture for over 40 years. Maybe we can avoid "the wilt" on those plants.

18 plants at the farm with three of four times that many in the home gardens. Maybe we will get something to put up.

The blueberry bushes I put out last fall are not too large, but each is loaded with berries! Was tickled to hear my three year old tell me that we have to wait till they are purple to eat them...a fact he recalled when we picked berries last year when he was only 2! (When that boy finally figgers out he's whole heaps smarter than his paw, I am in a world of trouble! :) )

Got one little stevia plant that is chugging along. Potted it up and it seems to be doing right well! Only one of six left. Keeping the fingers crossed!

FarmerCathy May 15, 2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hikingonthru (Post 277653)
Planted a fast dozen tomatoes at our farm yesterday...rutgers and early girls. Noting makes the digging go faster than a 3-point hitch posthole auger. Mixed that clay soil with composted rabbit droppings and some "wood dirt" from below the leafmold layer in our hardwood lot.

The blueberry bushes I put out last fall are not too large, but each is loaded with berries! Was tickled to hear my three year old tell me that we have to wait till they are purple to eat them...a fact he recalled when we picked berries last year when he was only 2! (When that boy finally figgers out he's whole heaps smarter than his paw, I am in a world of trouble! :) )

I did the same thing for my tomato plants. My dad's auger is awesome! Saved so much time.

Oh my gosh my 3 yr old is doing the same thing. Just remembers the darndest things from last years plantings. It's amazing! What really amazes me is that they won't remember any of this when they get older. As long as we repeat every year I guess they will keep it in thier little brains. :D

jadek May 15, 2009 06:35 AM

My 3 year old gave me an accurate, detailed account, out of the blue last week, of what occurred in swimming class. That happened at 10 months old! They remember EVERYTHING... At least we know stuff is sticking, as long as we make sure it is the "right" stuff and not junk.