IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

fhalloran June 7, 2009 10:25 AM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Well. Are you ready?

Here's what we did in the garden starting last Thursday:
1. Noticed a smell.
2. Noticed that the smell got really gross.
3. Noticed little faces peering up from under the deck.
4. Called out a wildlife company, moved my entire container garden off the deck and onto the patio.
5. Tore up 25% of the deck. (ok, my husband did that.)
6. Helpful Wildlife Man scooped up 3 baby possums and 1 deceased Mommy possum. Spread lime to cut the smell.
7. I failed 3 times to capture Last Baby Possum (dubbed "Poppy" by a friend).
8. "Poppy" finally caught in a trap thanks to the magical powers of peanut butter and local, organic bacon.
9. "Poppy" went to live in the woods.
10. Re-built the deck (husband, again).
11. Discovered that when you put your figs next to your barbeque you get burned fig leaves. Oops.

So now I have to figure out how to arrange a deck plus a patio worth of containers on just the patio, since my Father-in-Law is going to strip and treat the deck when he gets here next week.

I think my apricot tree (just planted this year) is dying of a fungus. It's early days, though, and could just be the ridiculous amount of rain we've gotten recently.

So. I need to: turn the compost, harvest snow and sugar snap peas, water the flower bed, weed, and tear out the lettuce in favor of the new tomato I bought yesterday at the Farmer's Market (for those following a thread from 2 weeks ago: an heirloom with no fancy photo label and just the word of a stall I trust that it will be good.). Monday, I have a helper coming to trim back a maple tree so I can get more sun on the soil.

It's a beautiful sunny day, so I'm looking forward to it.

Patio Princess June 7, 2009 08:49 PM

We've been busy today. Remember when I asked about getting gravel for the "swamp"? I never did, and decided just to put down 3" of mulch. Deciding factor: already had 3 bags, and not much money, nor did I want to have a ton of gravel dumped in the driveway AND have to shovel it. I used black pine mulch. I spread it out all over this area, and in a 12"-wide "path" around the deck, and joined that up with a flower bed that curves around the house. It really looks nice. We now have a seating area where the "swamp" was--we bought a 2-person free-stadning porch swing, so we put it there, along with the famous dumpster-diving table, and 2 small chairs. Them, I divided some hostas, and planted them around the inside of the fence, in the "swamp" area, along with some red begonias. Then, I installed some solar lights here and there. It's really going to look nice when I'm done. It certainly looks better than before: a muddy mess, with building refuse and shingles stacked up against an old, shabby, and collapsing fence! A few more touches, and now we have a great little entertaining area!

tashak June 7, 2009 09:00 PM

Rejoiced in the first rainfree day in over a week, checked all the starting flats and pots under netting, checked the rain-beaten down transplants under netting, uncovered the curry leaf and kaffir lime (temps had been in the 40s/low 50s at night), pulled weeds, and made plans to plant and transplant some things if the rain holds off tomorrow also.
Need to figure out where to put the sunflower seeds for that sunflower/bee project that sent the seeds this week.

RozieDozie June 7, 2009 09:01 PM

Put shade cloth over the 50' bed.

The tomatoes said "AAAAAHHHH! It's so much cooler now! Thank you so much...." :cool:

The okra said, "Now we're not getting enough sun; we will probably die." :(
The squash said, "The tomatoes are silly; sun is good! Okra is such a pessimistic plant...." :rolleyes:

Hubs said, "Each of these tomatoes will cost us about $5.00, Rozie, now that we've added the shade cloth..." :eek:

Rozie said, "I love my garden!!!" And then she moved the okra to a sunnier spot..... :)

ovenbird June 7, 2009 11:17 PM

Today I took steps to protect my garden from shade encroachment. My neighbors do not like the looks of my "progress", so they have been planting a solid hedge of trees and shrubs near the fence, with my raised bed just 18" from said fence. Fence runs N/S on the east side of my yard.

So today I planted 12 corkscrew willows, with a 30" spacing, along the fence which I will train into a Belgian Fence. This will block their view of my "progress" and I will be able to prune it to a height that allows max sun in while still protecting their view from and occasional block pile or, heaven forbid, bare dirt.

I asked for willow cuttings on freecycle last year and grew the 12 corkscrew willows from them. It will be fun weaving a live fence.

The willows will also drink and transpire some of the water pumped out by my sump pump.

hikingonthru June 8, 2009 12:53 AM

Looked at my front "edibles" bed today and realized that it gets nothing but shade till early afternoon and by a lot of shade from a maple in my yard (small as it is) and a wierd "shrub-tree" in the front bed. What does get sun, gets really scorching hot by virtue of a lot of reflection off my house's light colored siding.

Saw that the cushaws I planted on the power right of way have come up. Long beans are REALLY starting to take off.

w8in4dave June 8, 2009 07:37 AM

Well I stretched a drip hose out to my tomato garden. I think rabbits are killing some of my tomatoes... But they enjoyed the water. Now it's raining. I knew streatching that hose out there would make it rain.

morgansgardenofdoom June 10, 2009 09:09 AM

Added various fruit and veggie peelings to the compost, turned said compost, pulled some weeds, and made anger sounds when I discovered that some bug had wiped me out of my new cucumber seedlings...

jeffinsgf June 10, 2009 09:44 AM

Friday I moved some peppers and eggplant that were unhappy in the lowest point of the garden. Spinach was looking sad, so it came out to make room for said peppers. I trenched in drainage hose around the low area and ran it to the retaining wall, hopefully making that area useful again. Got an inch and a half of rain last night, so I'm watching the saturation of that area closely for the next few days. Tilled up a path along the edges of the garden and put in some sunflowers. Got a lot of tomato tying to do today, along with some hand weeding and mulch spreading. I'm leaving for four days, and the thought of abandoning my garden for 4 days in a row is killing me.

Cliff Timmons June 10, 2009 01:37 PM

Work, work, work, work, work.

Dramaqueen June 10, 2009 02:02 PM

Lord have mercy on my body, I am aching from head to heel. I spent 8 solid hours bending, weeding, shreading old leaves off the branches I cut some weeks ago, weeding, wetting plants, mowing, replanting things, planted 20 more long bean seeds hoping to get some planted some cukes may not get any. weeded some more and more weeding. picked strawberries until i was fed up and and and

Locavore June 10, 2009 06:35 PM

Harvested potatoes this week!! My first potato crop. Ok, I don't know if 9 pounds qualifies as a "crop," but it's exciting nonetheless. That's about half of what's in the planters, and I'll get the rest in a couple of weeks.

tiny1 June 10, 2009 06:47 PM

Well, I have begun my indoor starts for my Fall crop. Dealt with a few flea beetles, spray fed some tea, checked for hornworms, and began to layout my next two raised beds. I'm training 3 types of grapes, and caring for eight new fruit trees( 4 apple, 2 pear, 2 peach, a pomegranate and 1 self-fertile plum,). Other than that, typical maintenence and compost duty.

w8in4dave June 10, 2009 09:06 PM

I had company so I walked them thru and showed them the lil yellow flowers on my black prince tomatoes :)

gulfcoastguy June 10, 2009 09:11 PM

Watering plants and picking a cuke. It looks like I am going to have a bumper crop of kiwanos (jelly melons in rareseeds.com). Also a coworker told me that the Isis Candy cherry tomato plant I gave him produced full sized red tomatos with a somewhat thick peel.

American_Gardener June 10, 2009 10:34 PM

I'm just starting to take pictures of my peas for this years trials. I updated my photo albums in case anyone wanted to see em. Other than that.. i'm killing just bout everything off bout as fast as i can sprout the seeds. I've got a lot of catching up to do to be where i should of been by now.

Dave

sharon1957 June 11, 2009 07:26 AM

Started getting up at 5:20 this week instead of 5:30; that give me time to walk the garden and do little things (THAT weed is too close, THAT tomato needs to be tied up, THAT bed needs a deep watering, etc.). Amazing how much difference ten dedicated morning minutes make!
Had to pull up one of the Upper Ground Sweet Potato winter squash vines. Tuesday night I saw yellowing on three large leaves, and Wednesday noon it was completely wilted. I suspect some kind of vine borer but have no real notion what happened; just wanted to get it away from the others quick!
Tomatoes and everything else growing rapidly last two weeks, since the 22 consecutive days of rain. Started staking tomatoes to the crape myrtle trellis yesterday.
Cowpeas and beans (pole and bush) planted last week (?) all doing great. Also the replanted canteloupe and cukes. I clearly planted too early the first time.
Time to start putting down wet grocery sacks topped with straw around all the vining hills. Hope to do that this weekend.
Every morning and evening we go out to the wildflower bed to see what else has opened up and enjoy the evening scented stocks. Hope to have lots more of that next year.
Also saw our first eggplant blossom this week. So lovely. Blooms on tomatoes, zukes, okra, and peppers, of course, too. Harvested (2) sweet banana peppers this week -- first harvest of this garden, other than basil, thyme, and lemongrass.
The 'lawn' is full of patches of wild strawberry and white clover. We hope to get rid of all the grass over time and eliminate the mowing. Who knows when to seed clover for ground cover?

redneckplanter June 11, 2009 12:47 PM

justed planted some christmas lima beans,chinese red noodle,some started bell peppers...wheeewwwww.......
started 80 toms monday for our fall season...one tired redneck..lol

Marty in Springfield June 11, 2009 01:09 PM

Weeding and waiting.

w8in4dave June 13, 2009 07:21 AM

waiting for this..

http://idigmygarden.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=2123

hikingonthru June 13, 2009 10:23 PM

Well, lessee, went to the farm today and weedeated while dad bushhogged the barn and house lots. Grass so thick you coulda bailed it. Then, caged my tomatoes that had been let go WAY too long before caging. Planted out a few more of my leftovers that noone wants. Just sorta stuck about a half-dozen more toms in around the treeline at the edge of the woods...they will get morning and early afternoon sun. Helped my dad mix roundup to spot spray. (I know, I know...but YOU come deal with all these thistles!) Watered the tomatoes. Marveled at how well my dad's upside down tomatoes look...and how the "topsy turvy" mater branches on the commercial are not upturned like Pap's bucket maters. Thought to myself, there has got to be a better way to deal with supporting tomatoes that a stake and a plethora of strings or a cage/stake system. Watered my new maters sets and my cushaws. Tried a bit of my wheat...whose heads are all bent over now...and found it was not chewy but not yet dry to the bite. Listened to my dad tell of how my 6 year old "taught" him how to "thresh and winnow" wheat by rubbing it in the palm of your hand - after I taught him to do that. Noted I got ripe plums and that the chokecherry's are turning black!
(Am I the only one who LOVES wild chokecherries???) Got home and my dog had dug up a tom....replanted it. Now, ready to crash.

bughunter99 June 14, 2009 10:05 PM

Weeding, feeding and tying stuff up.

ovenbird June 14, 2009 10:09 PM

Today I planted strawberry plants and weeded. Harvested some nice lettuces for the next door neighbors.

posey54 June 15, 2009 05:30 AM

I just built 2 more beds out of cinder blocks, planted sweet potatoes in one and ran baling twine across the top of the other one until I can get it planted. I criss-cross the twine over the top of the bed in a grid to keep cats out. Once it's planted, they won't bother it. That was on Saturday. Now, I'm paying the price for thinking this 42yr old body can still do what it did at 22. I was at church yesterday when I suddenly got hit with one of the worst pains in my life. By the time I got home (hour drive) I was almost in tears. Had to have hubby help me get out of bed after I laid down. Thought if I rested, it would get better. NOT!
I don't have time for this! I have things to plant and weed, more beds to build. GRRRR!! :mad:
Also went grazing on wild black raspberries yesterday morning. Yummy! Funny I have raspberries at this place, but when I lived about 6 miles away, we had the biggest wild blackberries. I may have to go ask the new owners if I can dig up some starts. They have so much more flavor than store bought blackberries.

jemarmy June 15, 2009 07:17 AM

I'm soaking some more melon and squash seeds. Skunk came around and ate the ones I planted earlier.
I'm also psyching myself up to bust up more sod. *sigh*

w8in4dave June 15, 2009 08:32 AM

Well sometime today I need to get my hiny out there and hoe around my sunflowers but im going out to lunch first

GreyMoon9 June 15, 2009 11:00 AM

well, I was going to hoe today, but it is raining. I ordered some fall seeds, and I am trying to convince myself that hand digging another bed for yet another bed of sweet corn would be worth it, lol. (but obvouisly not in the rain)

redneckplanter June 15, 2009 11:02 AM

gonna get beds tilled for turkish redneck mellons and fall maters,,,lol

PCKGRat June 15, 2009 11:11 AM

I'm thinking of soaking some more zuke seeds. The yellow ones just aren't sprouting. Every morning I check the garden for semi-ripe tomatoes to save from the birds. I don't think checking each day is helping them grow.

I am waiting for my BC new order with more Zukes, Cukes and Beans. I am thinking that it is time to fertilize. I need to change out the drip soaker hoses to drip hoses to avert water pressure issues and improve the roots of my peppers. I am patiently awaiting the ripening of the Roma tomatoes.

redneckplanter June 15, 2009 11:43 AM

trying to protect my maters from the voracious hordes....any ideas>?lol