IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

lumina June 29, 2009 01:37 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

108* here yesterday. Today I pulled some Star Thistle. Watered a few plants/hale bales by hand, turned on the soaker hose, and that's it. Too hot.

Jade June 29, 2009 04:45 PM

This is my first garden ever...I've never really grown anything before so watching everything come up is completely amazing. I half expected everything to just shrivel up and die. I have to go out of town every 2 weeks and when I come back there are weeds everywhere but I'm pulling them and its fun!

1. Sugar snap peas - thriving, but no peas yet. Lots of little white blossoms.
2. Cucumbers - lots of little yellow flowers
3. Tomatoes - now I understand why they had to be spaced! I can't believe they got to be so huge! Lots of blossoms, hopefully lots of tomatoes soon. My grandmother used to grow tomatoes in my parents yard. When she moved into a nursing home she remained fairly active and started a tomato plot with a few other ladies. I remember when I was very little going outside to pick tomatoes with her. I was weeding and realized that the smell of tomato plants reminds me of her. I really miss her.
4. Habanero - the leaves have lots of holes, but it still keeps getting bigger.
5. Bell pepper. Gone? Nothing there anymore. I started 5 new ones inside though. I'm going to dig up another section of the back yard and and try again.
6. Broccoli. The broccoli has green beans growing off it. Hmmm. Guess I screwed that one up. I made a map of every thing I planted and it clearly says broccoli went in there. Oh well. At least I've got some green beans!
7. Green beans. I'm guessing that these 3 dark green leafy things are actually the broccoli. Well, they look like they are thriving also. Some of the leaves have little holes though.

Started inside for the late summer/fall: bell peppers, zucchini, okra. Maybe I'll do some squashes and beets also. Are potatoes easy? I'm hosting Thanksgiving at my place and I think it would be awesome to be able to do some of the dishes with vegetables I grew myself.

Also inside: my first indoor Avocado plant! I got a book on how to do them. Keep them trimmed right and they will grow into an indoor tree that makes yummy avocados. I've tried about 10 seeds and they all died, but finally I get one and its starting to make the tiniest little roots and now a little stem. Hopefully it keeps going.

Herbs:
Basil: gone?
Chives: gone?
Oregano: gone?
Cilantro: Thriving! Its the first thing I've ever grown and then used in cooking! I put some in with some barley that I cooked yesterday.
Mint: I didn't even plant this! I suspect it murdered the basil, chives and oregano in their sleep. I pulled a bunch of it to sprinkle on top of some indian food I cooked but there is still soo much more.

Anyone got any good mint recipes? I'm thinking of shoving all the leaves into a bottle of vodka to make mint schnapps. I had an auntie who was famous for making mint juleps but I don't have any bourbon.

gardentoad June 29, 2009 08:45 PM

Went out this evening (between showers) and picked snow peas, snap peas and strawberries. Last night I transplanted some anise hyssop and basil. Rained most of the day today so didn't get anything else done in the garden.

w8in4dave June 29, 2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade (Post 303117)
This is my first garden ever...I've never really grown anything before so watching everything come up is completely amazing. I half expected everything to just shrivel up and die. I have to go out of town every 2 weeks and when I come back there are weeds everywhere but I'm pulling them and its fun!

1. Sugar snap peas - thriving, but no peas yet. Lots of little white blossoms.
2. Cucumbers - lots of little yellow flowers
3. Tomatoes - now I understand why they had to be spaced! I can't believe they got to be so huge! Lots of blossoms, hopefully lots of tomatoes soon. My grandmother used to grow tomatoes in my parents yard. When she moved into a nursing home she remained fairly active and started a tomato plot with a few other ladies. I remember when I was very little going outside to pick tomatoes with her. I was weeding and realized that the smell of tomato plants reminds me of her. I really miss her.
4. Habanero - the leaves have lots of holes, but it still keeps getting bigger.
5. Bell pepper. Gone? Nothing there anymore. I started 5 new ones inside though. I'm going to dig up another section of the back yard and and try again.
6. Broccoli. The broccoli has green beans growing off it. Hmmm. Guess I screwed that one up. I made a map of every thing I planted and it clearly says broccoli went in there. Oh well. At least I've got some green beans!
7. Green beans. I'm guessing that these 3 dark green leafy things are actually the broccoli. Well, they look like they are thriving also. Some of the leaves have little holes though.

Started inside for the late summer/fall: bell peppers, zucchini, okra. Maybe I'll do some squashes and beets also. Are potatoes easy? I'm hosting Thanksgiving at my place and I think it would be awesome to be able to do some of the dishes with vegetables I grew myself.

Also inside: my first indoor Avocado plant! I got a book on how to do them. Keep them trimmed right and they will grow into an indoor tree that makes yummy avocados. I've tried about 10 seeds and they all died, but finally I get one and its starting to make the tiniest little roots and now a little stem. Hopefully it keeps going.

Herbs:
Basil: gone?
Chives: gone?
Oregano: gone?
Cilantro: Thriving! Its the first thing I've ever grown and then used in cooking! I put some in with some barley that I cooked yesterday.
Mint: I didn't even plant this! I suspect it murdered the basil, chives and oregano in their sleep. I pulled a bunch of it to sprinkle on top of some indian food I cooked but there is still soo much more.

Anyone got any good mint recipes? I'm thinking of shoving all the leaves into a bottle of vodka to make mint schnapps. I had an auntie who was famous for making mint juleps but I don't have any bourbon.

One heck of a garden for someone who has never had one before .. Good luck :)

w8in4dave June 29, 2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumina (Post 302987)
108* here yesterday. Today I pulled some Star Thistle. Watered a few plants/hale bales by hand, turned on the soaker hose, and that's it. Too hot.

Ohhhhh my my my one hot day!! You did alot for as hot as it was!! :eek:

GreyMoon9 June 29, 2009 11:10 PM

I hand dug a space and made 12 more hills and put down more sweet corn and buternut squash between the rows. I think I have gone quite insane, because I am not even sure I wil get a harvest from either one of them planting them this late. Looks like I might be planting them for the joy of watering and weeding them.. Time will tell.

w8in4dave June 29, 2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyMoon9 (Post 303368)
I hand dug a space and made 12 more hills and put down more sweet corn and buternut squash between the rows. I think I have gone quite insane, because I am not even sure I wil get a harvest from either one of them planting them this late. Looks like I might be planting them for the joy of watering and weeding them.. Time will tell.

Cross your fingers and toes GreyMoon!!

lumina June 30, 2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyMoon9 (Post 303368)
Looks like I might be planting them for the joy of watering and weeding them.. Time will tell.

I just planted my corn too, we do have a pretty long growing season here though (not as long as the South, but pretty long).

hikingonthru June 30, 2009 06:53 AM

Watering, watering, watering!

w8in4dave June 30, 2009 08:21 AM

letting mommie nature do her thing :)

sharon1957 July 1, 2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jade (Post 303117)
This is my first garden. [...] My grandmother used to grow tomatoes in my parents yard. When she moved into a nursing home she remained fairly active and started a tomato plot with a few other ladies. I remember when I was very little going outside to pick tomatoes with her. I was weeding and realized that the smell of tomato plants reminds me of her. I really miss her.

One of the greatest joys of gardening is, for me, too, the many ways it reminds me of my grandmother. Also a number of lovely aunts, but especially my Nannie, with whom I hoed the rows, harvested -- I especially remember tomatoes (sometimes we'd take a salt shaker to the garden and bring just that back!) -- picked berries, collected eggs... what a great life it was for a child!
She also had a pantry full of beautiful jars of those same things we harvested. My husband and I just bought a dehydrator, as I don't trust my canning skills, but the array of beautiful colors will, I'm sure, also remind my of her.
Best of luck with your first garden -- it sounds like you're doing fine!

kyaggie July 1, 2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharon1957 (Post 304420)
My husband and I just bought a dehydrator, as I don't trust my canning skills, but the array of beautiful colors will, I'm sure, also remind my of her.
Best of luck with your first garden -- it sounds like you're doing fine!

Don't sell yourself short on canning. Start out with a water bath canner and some acid foods like tomatoes or fruits. Get you a "Ball Blue Book" canning book and give it a whirl. It's hot work, but I promise it is not really that hard.

Once you get comfy with that, you might try a pressure canner and low acids like beans.

gulfcoastguy July 1, 2009 04:41 PM

Thinking about going all inorganic on a plague of stinkbugs! Break out the weapons of mass destruction.

morgansgardenofdoom July 1, 2009 09:11 PM

Reset the slug traps. I got 20 in the last 2 days, for a total of 45 in the last week. They are starting to get smaller though....

hikingonthru July 2, 2009 04:21 PM

Wondering why my bell peppers are not doing squat. Putting on a lotsa leaves...almost three times as many as you see on a normal plant...but not a fruit to be seen.

gardentoad July 2, 2009 07:06 PM

Found room in the garden to squeeze in a row of bush beans. Planted some flowers seeds. Hoping frosts hold off until late this fall so everything has enough time to grow. The cool spring weather really set back my planting this year.

daylilydude July 2, 2009 11:09 PM

Plucking weeds Again!

lumina July 3, 2009 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daylilydude (Post 305922)
Plucking weeds Again!

Me too, Star Thistle in particular. :rolleyes:

tashak July 3, 2009 07:20 PM

Weeding, and planted some burgandy beans, gaillairdia, bush cukes, collards seeds, harvested more garlic.
My kiwi seeds haven't come up yet, and I'm getting worried about them and the briar rose seeds also.

GreyMoon9 July 3, 2009 07:27 PM

well, I got out the machete today and decided to cut down the weeds around my native american bed... BAD idea.. yeah, the weeds are cut down, but so is one of my sunflowers :(

Gardenizit July 3, 2009 08:36 PM

That suks, Moon.

How many time have us gardeners done something similar, yo?

Most of us.

w8in4dave July 3, 2009 08:46 PM

I accidently mowed over one of my hubbys sunflowers a few weeks ago oopsi ... Shhhhhhh I don't think he even noticed I hurried up and went somewhere eles with the lawn mower .. Nothin... I didn't do nothin..

GreyMoon9 July 3, 2009 08:48 PM

Well, what is ironic is that I was playfully threatning to cut down my daughter's pet sunflower in the front yard, then I accidently cut down one of mine in the back :(

w8in4dave July 3, 2009 08:50 PM

OOpsi huh a lil intuition there huh??

w8in4dave July 3, 2009 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are my sunflowers kinda hard to tell how high they are

Robby July 4, 2009 08:38 AM

Riesentruabe are starting to ripen as are a few Amish Paste. I canned 3 pints of hot peppers yesterday. Went to Cabelas and bought an outdoor cast iron burner. Worked like a charm. :)

You take the peppers and cut off the stem. Add a toe or two of garlic with some basil and a bay leaf to the cold packed peppers and fill with distilled vinegar. Make a nice deer camp treat.

It's early for canning and I didn't have much but I wanted to test out the new burner.:D

w8in4dave July 4, 2009 09:33 AM

New burner YAY!! We live not far from Cabela's Robby It is nice having it around for some cool stuff sometimes... X mas time it is sooooo useful!

tashak July 4, 2009 01:01 PM

Moving rocks, pulling weeds, still transplanting from seed flats, spreading steer manure to be dug in for late/fall crops, looking for more possible plot/interplanting spaces, and--celebrating the first squash blossom!

sharon1957 July 4, 2009 04:34 PM

I watered deeply yesterday so of course it rained 7/10 inch today. Not complaining -- actually ought to admit to magical thinking: Watered the garden yesterday and the whole place got a good rain today so works out great. I don't have that much soaker hose!
Made zuchinni loaf today from the one that got away from us and grew too large/tough-skinned.
Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler again (mid-80s), so I'm going to pull weeds while they are loose, and spread more straw under spreading squash/melons while DH smokes burgers for dinner and the freezer.
Also still need to set up the dehydrator for all the extra okra we're getting now. Has anyone dried okra yet? Any tips?

Dramaqueen July 4, 2009 04:39 PM

Weeding, weeding, did I mention weeding? Oh yes and weeding, but before that I weeded again and then the day before I also weeded, tomorrow I will also weed