IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

kellygirrl July 4, 2009 05:32 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 306450)
Here are my sunflowers kinda hard to tell how high they are

When did you plant?

Greymoon, I planted a bunch of 1' sunflowers from Botanical Interests in my front mulched yard, only one came up. When I was out weeding, I yanked it, stared at it a few minutes while the "special ed" wheels turned in my so-called brain, and stuck it back in the ground where it is doing fine despite me.:rolleyes:

Loving the costata and saffron summer squashes. Ate my first cukes yesterday. The marketmores got munched down to the ground by something early on, but these guys (zagross? from BC) are looking good. But perilously overwhelmed by the ferocious wandering cushaw...

Eating amazing huge herbal salads every day: last of the lettuce, bulked up with basil, anise hyssop, lovage, sage, walking onion, garlic chives all from the yard, with oil and cider vinegar, walnuts, dried cranberries, salt and hot peppers (eagerly anticipating my own hot peppers and next year cranberries). Somehow all those flavors taste fine together!

redneckplanter July 4, 2009 06:05 PM

replanted the melon patch with those turkish mellons
determined to get some this year...lol

kellygirrl July 4, 2009 06:37 PM

Redneck, how hard is that? Isn't your growing season something like 15 months a year?:rolleyes:

garden_vato July 4, 2009 06:39 PM

gettin excited about my tomatoes. pretty much every plant has flowers now, and i got a few forming. just wish the cucumbers would all hurry up and get up the trellises. pumpkins are huge, i think theres two or three forming. watermelons came back to life and waitin on squash and corn.

redneckplanter July 5, 2009 09:35 AM

lol kg.
no w start out nice in late feb early march.
then may is hot.
and after that scorching till october.
garden vato...grow on buddy.

w8in4dave July 5, 2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellygirrl (Post 307114)
When did you plant?

Greymoon, I planted a bunch of 1' sunflowers from Botanical Interests in my front mulched yard, only one came up. When I was out weeding, I yanked it, stared at it a few minutes while the "special ed" wheels turned in my so-called brain, and stuck it back in the ground where it is doing fine despite me.:rolleyes:

Loving the costata and saffron summer squashes. Ate my first cukes yesterday. The marketmores got munched down to the ground by something early on, but these guys (zagross? from BC) are looking good. But perilously overwhelmed by the ferocious wandering cushaw...

Eating amazing huge herbal salads every day: last of the lettuce, bulked up with basil, anise hyssop, lovage, sage, walking onion, garlic chives all from the yard, with oil and cider vinegar, walnuts, dried cranberries, salt and hot peppers (eagerly anticipating my own hot peppers and next year cranberries). Somehow all those flavors taste fine together!

All mine came up from last year.. I didn't plant a one.. They are over 6 ft. tall I should go check one is about half way open yesterday :)

w8in4dave July 5, 2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 307426)
lol kg.
no w start out nice in late feb early march.
then may is hot.
and after that scorching till october.
garden vato...grow on buddy.

so can you grow in the shade or is it just to darned hot??

w8in4dave July 5, 2009 01:46 PM

here he is ...
http://idigmygarden.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=2544

These are my tomatoes Black Prince.... I hope :)

http://idigmygarden.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=2505

bellzeybubba July 5, 2009 01:53 PM

I did some weeding, put up a trellis for my tepary beans (waaaaay too late, I should have put it up a month ago, but I'm hoping they'll start growing up and producing now), dug up the spent bush beans, parsley, and two tomatoes that were doing very poorly and were totally infested with stuff. Planted black eyed peas and a little tender tomato I had inside, hope it takes the shock of the heat.

hikingonthru July 5, 2009 10:36 PM

Feeling pretty smug about myself...here in upstate SC most people are still waiting on their maters. Went to Pap's house for Sunday dinner today and he'd pulled a huge lot of ripe red tomatoes off the vines at the farm. (We'd been getting the odd mater since mid-june, though).

Wondering what my volunteer cucurbit vines and the one tomato volunteer the compost pile offered will be.

Looking at a big tarp full of wheat stooks and knowing I got to thresh them soon.

gulfcoastguy July 5, 2009 10:53 PM

I picked eggplant, Trinidad Perfume and Zavory peppers, and Poona Kheera cucumbers. The Poona Kheeras have now made it into the permanent planting roster and will be planted from now on. They are surviving an unseasonable drought and heat wave better than anyother cucumber in my experience. The Isis Candy cherry maters are also on the permanent roster. The winter squash and Blacktail Mountain watermelons might not survive though. I'll give the Blacktail Mountains another try next year on better ground. The kiwanos are finally starting to ripen.

woody July 6, 2009 07:08 AM

Pulling weeds...green beans and tomatoes are rolling in.http://woodysrockyridge.blogspot.com/

w8in4dave July 6, 2009 09:31 AM

I picked a baby eggplant.. someone gave me the plants.. what do you do with baby eggplant??

Soilchica July 6, 2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 308271)
I picked a baby eggplant.. someone gave me the plants.. what do you do with baby eggplant??

We grilled some this weekend. Olive oil, salt, and pepper, and it was very tasty!

w8in4dave July 6, 2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soilchica (Post 308280)
We grilled some this weekend. Olive oil, salt, and pepper, and it was very tasty!

I will have to try it thanks :):D here it is..
http://idigmygarden.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=2571

pepperhead212 July 6, 2009 08:17 PM

Dave,

I grew a variety of Asian EP that was just like that full grown! Great flavored, and firm, not mushy, like the large types.

I have two of 5 types producing already, and the tomatoes are taking off! Only cherrries, so far, but the large ones won't be far behind. Tomorrow I will be digging up my German Gray Shallots, a very early type I grew for the first time last season, and have at least twice as many this year. Another week for the first garlic, and two or three weeks for the rest - a total of about 120 heads this year.

Peppers are loaded with full grown greens, but no ripe ones yet. Tomorrow, however, I will uncover them - I keep a light fabric over most, to keep pepper maggot flies off of susceptible varieties, as well as many of my eggplants, which I can see, but barely. So I may have some pleasant surprises...

Gardenizit July 6, 2009 09:31 PM

I am curious, Dave - why did you choose to pick the veggie early?

w8in4dave July 6, 2009 09:36 PM

Ohhh was it early??? It is called a baby egg plant .. They said about egg sized.. I thought it was ripe.. Ohhh jeeze I hope I did not pick to early.. hmmmm

Gardenizit July 6, 2009 09:59 PM

Ohhh... I so misunderstood what you were referring to when you said, "baby".

My bad. :)

w8in4dave July 6, 2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gardenizit (Post 308881)
Ohhh... I so misunderstood what you were referring to when you said, "baby".

My bad. :)

LOL No prob.. Like I said someone gave me the plant so ... I have no clue .. I will eat it tomorrow >> You not bad :D

sharon1957 July 7, 2009 06:46 AM

Sunday harvested three Thai Long Purple eggplant, several Metki Dark Green Serpent Melon (both from BC), lots of okra (4 kinds of red from BC), sweet banana peppers, and lots of zucchini. Plan to try the eggplant tonight. Need to get a good Thai cookbook but will risk these first three with common sense grilling followed by steaming with mixed veggies. Crossing my fingers. Favorite restaurant meal is Thai dish based on this eggplant and way across the city. Have lemongrass and Thai basil to go with it.
Letting the garden go its way mostly, these days. Waiting for temps to drop so all those tomatoes will ripen. Still trying to figure out how to post photos here without posting them elsewhere online first.:confused:
Appreciating you all so much. Looking at the lone sunflower from the wildflower mix that came up right outside my kitchen window. Enjoying the birds that perch on it while I breakfast here each morning. Looking for the fruit tree varieties I want to order for fall and spring.

Mook July 7, 2009 07:02 AM

Well lets see...today i'm planting a few onion sets...2 lbs to be exact.Then after that a row of sunflowers,cucumbers and maby a few radishes.

kyaggie July 7, 2009 01:18 PM

Starting to plant some of the fall crops. Going to direct seed cabbage in the shady part of garden, and brussel sprouts, and some lentils. (Don't ask I have never grown lentils before..but you just gotta keep trying new stuff right?? Enablers??? Anybody???)

Will talk to the maters about speeding it up a little bit, and give the peppers another dose of bonemeal. Probably add some organic "booster" to the melons, which have been slow to take off in this cool wet weather. Will throw some wood ash on the eggplants and tomatillos to keep those durn flea beetles at bay.

w8in4dave July 7, 2009 09:23 PM

Watchin my garden grow... My daughter, this year decided to plant her own garden.. Well she is 24... and she started her own tomatoes and all .. well she came over here today and kinda strolled thru our garden .. we came to our tomatoes and she said what are these??? Ummmmm tomatoes .. she's like OMG.. mine are tiny .. I had no idea they would get that big... Ohhhh jeeze..she was raised here.. she never liked gardening but she is learning now :)

garden_vato July 7, 2009 09:56 PM

watchin it grow as well. a bunch of sunflowers have opened up and a couple of red sunflowers cant make up their mind whether they want to open or not. im happy with how easy it is to grow sunflowers. got the drip line on the peppers right now. garden peppers arent doin so hot, but they have some flowers on them. i think i need to start my seeds earlier next year. sprayed and trimmed the tomatoes and beans that had the curly leaf. hopefully it will go away. pumpkins are doin great but i keep gettin tons of squash bugs on em. not fun. corn is doin great too. i just wish a lemon cuke would pop out into my hand....cant wait for those things

lumina July 7, 2009 11:23 PM

Covering my cantaloupes w/ chicken wire - hopefully keeping the darn jack rabbits away (from the fruit anyhow). :( Spraying liquid fence around everything. :(

bughunter99 July 8, 2009 09:59 AM

Tieing up more tomato every few days and have harvested a few Sungold now. Trying to decide why my beans refuse to grow and putting row cloth over the cukes and cantalope to keep the nasties away. I watered for the first day yesterday as well. Very weird year.

ovenbird July 8, 2009 10:01 AM

Watching the rain soak in, a true blessing!

sharon1957 July 8, 2009 08:51 PM

We got 6/10 inch of rain today. Harvested okra, eggplant, peppers, cukes, zukes. Found several more watermelon growing in the grass. Realized that more support was needed for more tomatoes. Found lots of blossoms on the beans, which aren't as bushy as I expected from something called 'bush beans.' Looking at hundreds of green tomatoes and not a one the least bit pink.

lumina July 8, 2009 10:19 PM

Harvested & ate zucchini, purple bell peppers (can't remember what they're called) and Hungarian Hot Wax peppers in stir fry w/ some chicken & udon noodles.