IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

hikingonthru July 12, 2009 09:25 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Procured some organic fertilizer for my front beds today. How? After Sunday dinner, we loaded up the wife, boys and cooler along with a couple rods and headed up above Walhalla toward the fish Hatchery and the Chattooga river. Decided to wet a hook and, with the help of my eldest son, landed us three of the prettiest mountain trout you ever saw. And they were tasty, too!

Used the head and entrails for organic fertilizer between my pepper plant (unknown type) and my ichiban eggplant.

Gardenizit July 12, 2009 11:41 PM

I drilled/prepared about 100 bottles of filled water to sustain my plants for a week while I am absent.

Good luck to my efforts.

ovenbird July 12, 2009 11:42 PM

Preparing to plant my fall brassicas. I need to plant them in a seed bed and transplant them after the garlic and sweet corn are harvested.

I'll have a nice big batch of compost to dig in where I plant them, which they will love. Doing cheddar cauliflower, Violet cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, turnips, romanesco, michilli chinese cabbage, red and green cabbages, and parsnips.

SpaceAge July 13, 2009 12:25 AM

I was supposed to take the day off , but the sun came up and it was like 5:30 and as John Wayne would say , "Were Burnin' DayLight" ...

so I Drilled holes next to about 100 Tomatoe Plantlings poured in liquid suspended food pounded in stakes in the pre-drilled holes , tied up to the stakes in a Hillbilly "Durgan" way with Extra Long Pipe Cleaners , weeded the 5 rows of OKRA ( those d^m^ed BullHead Weeds ! , watered everything so they wouldn't all catch on fire ...showered & shaved my ugly face , went to Church , came home made Guacamole and ate a Carnitas Burro , put a sprinkler on what was left of 100 Early Girl Tomatoes baking in the Sun ... chances are slim of any market sales on those fruits after the last 3 days of 105' F ... I'll have to pull the plants & hang in a cool place & can as sauce or toss to the compost pile ... There's a reason they are called "Early Girls ":eek::rolleyes:

looks like after a week of monitoring , with about 300 Tomatoes left I only lost 1 today to rot after the River Flood Irrigation on Friday ... in the morning it will be real obvious if it is really toast or not ...

The challenge this week is to plant melons everywhere possible , re-plant squashes as I get ready to yank about 50 of the older ones that are not putting out or obviously got "the Rot" ... fire up the Incubator , and put in about 800 sq ft of sweet Corn as well before Friday ...

w8in4dave July 13, 2009 06:58 AM

Had hubby on water patrol maters were lookin a lil droopy...

stone July 13, 2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imp (Post 313008)
108, 106, 104's for the last week or so, here in north Texas.

Saw on the tv that they're calling for 110 in Los Vegas... Plants don't grow in that... When it's that hot here, I get in & out of a cold tub... I used to have a spring-fed goldfish pond... the goldfish would get company...

I dug out yucca, poison ivy, poison oak... moved some apostle lilies (crinum) there... planted cukes where the bulbs where... pulled a patch of lamb's quarter (magenta spreen) planted some blue corn that I picked last week... hoping for halloween/thanksgiving decorations... ran a gallon of gas through the generator.... putting water on the seed beds...

hikingonthru July 13, 2009 07:47 AM

Had a volunteer curcubit vine of some sort come up in a bed and had put on a couple fruits. It was loaded with blossoms, too. Got home and it was kinda droopy. The root was white and soft and sorta leathery...pulled up really easily. Dunno what it coulda been. Any ideas.
The fruit was kinda big for a cuke, but I pulled the two on there and sliced one...seeds were still small and center mass like a cuke and it had a nice crunch and a cucumber taste.

Will try to post a pic of the other later as I want to know what sort of plant this was.

National pickling cukes are off the list for next year. Get way too bitter way too fast and not drought tolerant enough.

gerry July 13, 2009 10:05 AM

i think I'm about done weeding the jungle that overgrew my gardens while I was on vacation. Planted corn, potatoes and more beans. Harvested my first tomatoes, yellows given us by Michelle8, thank you. Got some cherry toms be ready in a day or two, also from Michelle8. Cut some grass/weeds.

Had quite a storm last night. lost my glad, the first to flower since we moved in two seasons ago. The 4 o'clock MIL transplanted so she could see it from her window was on its side. The mulch from the azaleas out front ended across the driveway in the grass I haven't cut yet. Borage is done and on its side. Other than that, no notable damage.

Found a taker for excess cucumbers; won't plant so many next year.

First corn and bean sprouts second round.

Need to cut more grass and weeds, esp under blueberries. Then we'll see what shakes out.

Jackofalltrades July 13, 2009 03:33 PM

Gardens about gone so I electric fenced around three fourths of it and turned the hogs on it.

w8in4dave July 13, 2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackofalltrades (Post 314322)
Gardens about gone so I electric fenced around three fourths of it and turned the hogs on it.

OOoopsi that doesn'tsound good for the garden Jack

gulfcoastguy July 13, 2009 05:07 PM

The #$%^ squirrels ate another kiwano. Useless dog! Well at least it will be funny when he poops all those seeds around the neighborhood. Kiwano spreads about as bad as kudzu.

Imp July 13, 2009 05:48 PM

Yesterday was 109 here, on the front of the house and slightly shaded.

Right now, at almost 6 pm, it is 106.

Too hot, LOL, we finally turned on the air conditioner yesterday, too.

The sunflowers are drooping a bit even in this heat. The only things that seem to like it besides our Pecans, are the sweet potatoes and the petunias with the various basil. Oh yes, the rose mary and the oregano is fine yet from a couple years ago. They have great root systems.

I'm headed for the tub! Of course, the water is hot from both taps, just one gets hotter.

If this keeps up, the Hotter'N'Hell 100 bike race will be back up to it's reputation for making pros fall out.

w8in4dave July 13, 2009 06:09 PM

Ohhhh poor Imp I heard the temps were gettin pretty darn high...

SpaceAge July 13, 2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hikingonthru (Post 314038)
National pickling cukes are off the list for next year. Get way too bitter way too fast and not drought tolerant enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah , last week when the high temps hit , the entire section of those just fried ...

The MarketMores and especially the Armenians are going gangbusters !

sharon1957 July 14, 2009 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellygirrl (Post 313525)
Here's a link to an article called How To Ripen Green Tomatoes.
http://www.wikihow.com/Ripen-Green-Tomatoes

Thanks! Lots of good, well explained options there. Much appreciated, kellygirrl!

sharon1957 July 14, 2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mt.Imagine (Post 313621)
I also just ate my first plump, ripe chichiquellette off my bushes; and promptly spit it out. I hope a lot will ripen at the same time so I can feasibly give to someone else to use in the kitchen, because these are terrible as is.

Mine are still green. Based on your report, I think I'll cook with them....

Trisha July 16, 2009 11:09 PM

It's so hot that I'm watering and still losing plants. I have to get out early before the heat hits the 100's and move the drip and soaker hoses around. I am using anything I can get my hands on for mulch- cardboard boxes, newspaper, dried weeds that I pulled, and wheat straw. Tomatoes get only to golf ball size at best and quickly turn red. It's a race to beat the birds to any fruit. The big ones made off with the Asian pears! Those birds look like the ones in the Hitchcock movie. I have seven apples on two trees, flowered but the pollen died in the heat. The peppers love the heat but we can munch on the usually medium hot varieties with no burn. The pole beans are flowering but bearing no beans. One spot of joy is that over the course of two weeks, two courting toads connected and we have a water plant container full of tadpoles. The parents alone have put a dent in the insect population, so things are looking up. They are so cute sitting on the deck together at dusk.

Imp July 16, 2009 11:49 PM

I gave up on some of the watering chores- the heat and direct sun just is crisping some of the stuff so it's a loss anyways at this time. I have a few toato plants for the fall crop and some things toplant yet, but not in a hurry right now- too danged hot.

Mt.Imagine July 17, 2009 01:08 AM

Sharon - good choice I think, but of course you could like them more than I do.

In the morning I started preparing six more raised beds for new planting, weeded out new starts, and then spent a long time mulling over my new seed order and my plans for the gardens. In early evening, I went over to the older greenhouse and cleaned it up, reset and replanted two boxes, removed the old sakata sweet plants and dead okra leaves. Today I harvested my last (last until the new plants produce, I'm trying right now to decide where is best to grow them) and best delicata squash--it was so beautiful and tasty.

tashak July 17, 2009 06:26 AM

We've got some summer heat starting here again, c.98ish yesterday afternoon--fortunately with a slight breeze in the evening before sunset. I'm getting most of the heavier work done between 6-10AM, and increasing watering from every other day to about every thirty-six hours, plus handwatering the seedlings it is really too hot to transplant. Need to pull out the two small bits of shadenetting for those two little plants. I may rig up a burlap tent or two for some of the smaller already transplanted stuff, some of the smallest already transplanted babies have already shrivelled up from the sun and heat despite watering.
Yesterday morning I hauled more one cubic foot steermanure compost around the acre to the places that need it the most for future fall planting, and spread some around. When it is daylight today, I'll do the same and also start digging some in. Compost pile probably needs watering too.

lumina July 17, 2009 11:08 AM

Hoping my well gets fixed, so I can water. :(
Murphy's Law, buy a newer house, have more problems than w/ your last 2 "older" houses.

JessicaG July 17, 2009 05:39 PM

This weekend I plan to prune back some of my tomato plants. I have one that's now about 6 feet tall and has way too much foliage and new suckers appear every day!

garden_vato July 17, 2009 05:59 PM

well, ive finally got a bunch of tomatoes forming throughout the garden. potatoes also seem to be coming a long well. cucumbers are still slow, and i dont know what the peppers are doing, they dont want to grow and they dont want to make flowers :mad: but the majority of the corn is doing good, both the sweet corn and the flour corn, especially the painted mountain variety. that kind moves fast. my little prize pumpkin feels like its weighing about 15 pounds, but the back of my brain keeps saying 20. the smallest pumpkin has been getting eaten by ants and mice though, so i think i need to take care of that. watermelons are well and alive, but still waiting for them to flower. i dont know what the deal is with the cantaloupes; maybe they have nothing but male flowers. i cant tell whats male and whats female on cantaloupes, but there is only one very small cantaloupe started, and it might actually be a honeydew. also got a copper solution and im finally going to spray my beans and tomatoes in the planter box. hopefully it makes them better

bughunter99 July 17, 2009 06:38 PM

My beans are growing!! After two months being eight inches tall. They are growing. There is hope afterall. Today I started experimenting with various different self-watering set-ups for next month's vacation. I'm not in love with any of these so far.

stone July 17, 2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imp (Post 314428)
I'm headed for the tub! Of course, the water is hot from both taps, just one gets hotter.

You might want to take a page out of the Death Valley experience...

I heard they turn off the heat of the hot water... and when it sits in that tank, it cools down... they use it for cold....

Went on a field trip to a nearby CSA farm... I got back to mine with new eyes... It sure looked good!

Usually, All I have to compare my garden with is my other gardens... Nice seeing someone else's work in my growing conditions...

tughillcam July 18, 2009 12:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
my potatoes so far. a reddale blossom and the whole spud garden.
3 rows of Caribe, 1 row of reddales
Attachment 6858

Attachment 6859

sharon1957 July 18, 2009 03:59 PM

Did I mention my tomatoes finally started ripening this week!?!? I'm soooo happy about that -- was afraid I wouldn't have tomatoes while I had the stuff the go best with.
Beans are flowering but I haven't seen beans, but there are lots of crowder peas and they go great with tomatoes, as do okra, which I have more of than anything.
Cukes and zukes not overwhelming but maybe that just means I planted the right amount this time.
I can see four watermelons in the patch -- it looks like two Valencia and two Charleston Gray. No Orangeglo, I'm afraid. I was really looking forward to trying those, and so was DH, who is not a big watermelon fan and will really only eat them if I prep them first so he has a bowl of chunks and no rind to contend with.
One muskmelon (which we called canteloupe growing up but I mean the beige netted melon with orange flesh and heavenly fragrance). It's green now so I hope it is what I think it is.
Two HUGE Upper Ground Sweet Potato winter squash, that have changed color from green etc to white-ish green and I hope it's not sunburn. The packet (from BC) says to harvest in the fall when the skin is too tough to puncture with a fingernail but I'm wondering if the heat might have altered the schedule.
Bought two 12-inch cast iron skillets today that match the one my grandmother used to fry chicken and okra. Promised the hubby one big batch of real fried okra even though I usually don't bread and fry anything. Has to be on a day there are plentiful tomato slices to really be done right.
The tomatillos (sp?) got lost under the tomatos that took over the whole bed, so no salsa verde this year. Ground cherries never even came up. Peppers are wilty but still producing.
Have let the weeds run wild and plan to leave it that way until the heat breaks and it's time to plant the fall stuff. Don't even want to think about that yet!!
DH is napping after a lot of mowing; took advantage of a much cooler day (only mid-80s) but still hot and we're all so worn out from what turned out to be the second hottest June on record, and a pretty hot July so far, too. When I think of just how hot it's been I feel a lot better about my first garden on this site. I don't feel good about the four more 28x4 beds I need to prepare, or the foot-deep 4 foot wide moat/path I need to dig out and up on to them, either.
But talking to my dad by phone this week, he said that if I had planted everything we had talked about he thought I must be a pretty good and real serious gardener. That meant so much coming from him!
Long post -- whose turn next?

w8in4dave July 18, 2009 05:38 PM

Just sittin here lettin it grow :)

redneckplanter July 18, 2009 05:43 PM

letting what grow dave?lol

w8in4dave July 18, 2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 318143)
letting what grow dave?lol

My garden silly you ...