IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

bughunter99 July 18, 2009 07:49 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

Catching Japanese beetles with the kids. :)

garden_vato July 18, 2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tughillcam (Post 318013)
my potatoes so far. a reddale blossom and the whole spud garden.
3 rows of Caribe, 1 row of reddales
Attachment 6858

Attachment 6859

im jealous of your spuds, tughill

redneckplanter July 18, 2009 09:20 PM

ahhh spud envy...lol

w8in4dave July 18, 2009 09:21 PM

W8in4daylite

keke July 19, 2009 01:32 AM

Got home from 10 days traveling and growth is astounding! Family did excellent job while I was gone. :) We did lose a tomatillo (rat? too heavy/no stake?) but it's ok - the other three are HUGE and full of babies and blossoms. Staked the others today, they still need more. The okras I had such trouble germinating seem so tall now, with a few babies on there too, corn and beans look great, as does rapini, lettuces, cabbages, radishes. Some tomatoes may not make it, I overfed (lesson learned) and we now have aphid problem and few if any blossoms. :( That's ok though, we have more tomatoes elsewhere and plenty of other stuff. We got rid of a slug problem (nightly hunts/beer traps/iron phosphate), now battling rats, worms and aphids. Today helped the cucumbers and melons wind their way around our fence, harvested five large Thai cukes. Planted the last of the eggplant and peppers seedlings this afternoon, daughter made a dilution of Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap and sprayed a few worm-eaten victims, but all in all quite pleased. Even have dozens of mangoes! Will pickle. Added new pics to my page. :D

tughillcam July 19, 2009 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garden_vato (Post 318268)
im jealous of your spuds, tughill

Thanks ! ain't they perty :p?

that's an old 25 year old cow lane where they were gathered before crossing the road to get milked. Soil black as can be... but a bit heavy on the clay.
never been touched by anything chemical. I'd grow other things there but the deer and other wildlife are very heavy. ;)

don't get too jealous... that all has to get dug up by hand and shovel. I'm still suffering from last year !

bellzeybubba July 19, 2009 06:20 PM

After much consideration, I did a bunch of planting in my garden today. I took down the tomatoes just last week as they were getting crispy from the heat and also seemed to have a fungus, the quality of the maters had reduced considerably. I debated letting the area rest for a while, planting a summer cover crop, all sorts of options, and today I decided what the heck, lets amend and plant and see what happens.

First I dug up all the various spots where I had space (a ~5 ft row and 8 mounds) and mixed in fresh compost. Hooray for my compost pile! Then I re-laid all the drip lines - I'd planted the old maters before we laid the drips and my layout was a bit cattywhompus so I fixed them to be straighter and where I wanted to plant this time. Laid a light layer of mulch over it all and watered from above to give everything a good soaking.

Then I planted. In the mounds - table queen squash, poona kheera cucumber, patio red marconi peppers, fish peppers, tequila sunrise peppers, Mexican sour gherkins, cape gooseberry, and Cherokee purple tomato in the one mound that hadn't been a tomato spot previously. Also I planted the small row with sweet double red corn. According to my planting guide I'm late with some of these and early with others, just on time with maybe one, but I remain optimistic that I'll get at least a few things going well for the fall :).

Edit: I also squished a lot of stink bugs that were on my eggplant. Yuck!

hikingonthru July 19, 2009 11:33 PM

Thinking that whatever is making a home in my beds HAS to be made no longer a resident. It has developed a taste for almost dead ripe maters...and refuses to eat a whole tomato...taking small bites of all of them.

Gonna rip out those national pickling cukes...not really good eating...and pop in some straight 8's or something I MAY get something out of before cold sets in.

w8in4dave July 20, 2009 07:30 AM

going to go out and walk thru it.. Pick off a few more weeds .. Pray to the garden gods everything grows well :)

Mt.Imagine July 21, 2009 06:53 PM

Today I planted more purple tomatillo, pink brandywine, cape gooseberry, spinach, lettuce, beets, and carrots. I also put in a new seed order today: litchi tomato, lemon balm, stevia, pitre’s short bush red cowhorn okra, collective farm woman melon, red cheese pepper, true black brandywine tomato, white wonder watermelon, lebanese white bush marrow squash, dragon tongue bean, maxibel french filet bean, scarlet runner bean, wautoma cucumber, healthy pepper. So I will be very, very busy with these once they come.

Mook July 21, 2009 06:59 PM

I've been keeping the elk out of mine...:D.

sharon1957 July 22, 2009 06:59 AM

Harvested our first canteloupe/muskmelon (Kansas, from BC) yesterday. Hadn't even seen this one -- or the one next to it that had already rotted open on the bottom. Even the bad one smelled good! The one we did know about is still green.
Found a fifth watermelon, of a third variety -- that means we have Valencia, Charleston Gray AND Orangeglo! Now I just have to figure out how to know when it's time to harvest....

tughillcam July 22, 2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mook (Post 319977)
I've been keeping the elk out of mine...:D.

please tell me how ?
I have a friend in Idaho who would love to know !
(besides a bullet, I think he's got that one down pat :p)

ovenbird July 22, 2009 11:26 PM

Today I picked about 4 pounds of cucumbers, broccoli, squash and beans, and planted 32 varieties for fall garden: broccoli, brussels sprouts, kale, cabbages, rutabaga, Kohlrabi, cauliflower, romanesco, beets, spinach, lettuce and parley. Also trying Ping Giant Chinese Chives

gardentoad July 22, 2009 11:39 PM

Impatiently waiting for things to grow. Did a little weeding yesterday.

w8in4dave July 23, 2009 07:13 AM

Trying to get the darn weeds out.. they have perfected the game... They are so winning it to..

tughillcam July 23, 2009 07:18 AM

I figured out if my garden isn't picture perfect by the end of July,
the weeds will win out during the month of August. ;)

Dramaqueen July 23, 2009 07:22 AM

Dont ask me this question today, i will start to bawl and scream and throw more than hissy fits http://bestsmileys.com/crying/15.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/crying/15.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/crying/15.gif

thibodeaux41 July 23, 2009 07:27 AM

Last night we pulled the peas out and replaced them with lettuce seeds. Today, I'm going to start some oil paintings of the zinnias and sunflowers (my wife and daughter left town on a four day vacation in Kentucky; this dog is off his leash!!!)

tughillcam July 23, 2009 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dramaqueen (Post 320914)
Dont ask me this question today, i will start to bawl and scream and throw more than hissy fits

so... you look like your icon picture ? :p

Dramaqueen July 23, 2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tughillcam (Post 320920)
so... you look like your icon picture ? :p

AMEN:eek::D

PCKGRat July 24, 2009 04:47 AM

Wondering (with joy) what to do with all the tomatoes. I somehow ended up with four yellow pear tomatoes plants (like one wasn't enough??) ;)

I have been gathering Arkansas Travelers, Green Moldovan, Rutgers, Supersweet 100s, Snowberries, yellow pears, red pears, and my first black cherry toms (very tasty).

I realized that I may actually have a golden zucchini plant (thank goodness) and can't figure out what went wrong with the gray zukes.

I need to do something with the peppers (thinking of freezing).

Battling early blight on peppers and some toms.

w8in4dave July 24, 2009 08:38 AM

Well i'm letting the weeds hide my veggies from the bugs..

Growing Boy July 24, 2009 10:07 AM

Planting the fall garden. Spring garden is done cept the maters, watermelons, peppers, okra, a few cucmbers and peas/beans. The third planting of corn might produce enough for a couple good meals. Trying to find room for all the jars of pickles etc. This time of year we take a short break before starting again. Fresh maters for Thanksgiving!

hikingonthru July 24, 2009 09:03 PM

Actually picked some toms off the vines at the farm today and did NOT have fireants boil out of them all over my hands. They had been busy working on my toes. No more gardening in the adidas sandals.

w8in4dave July 24, 2009 10:52 PM

Still letting the weeds grow :) ohhh i'm watching red green lol... Is he like lettuce and tomato?

PCKGRat July 25, 2009 03:24 AM

Realized the habaneros will be abundant along with the Serranos.... Did I say that already?

I am letting the moss cover the ground to keep it cool :rolleyes:

MSG vines look fabulous, but no fruit. Cukes are giving out. Okra is splendiloquent. I have a double blossomed yellow squash whose fruit bears a striking resemblance to... well. I shall say no more.

I think I should pick the Roselle soon.

w8in4dave July 25, 2009 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCKGRat (Post 321895)
Realized the habaneros will be abundant along with the Serranos.... Did I say that already?

I am letting the moss cover the ground to keep it cool :rolleyes:

MSG vines look fabulous, but no fruit. Cukes are giving out. Okra is splendiloquent. I have a double blossomed yellow squash whose fruit bears a striking resemblance to... well. I shall say no more.

I think I should pick the Roselle soon.

double blossomed yellow squash?? Wow want to see a pic of that when thats ripe LOL ...

blackberrygrl July 25, 2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 321463)
Well i'm letting the weeds hide my veggies from the bugs..

Hahahaha. Me too :cool:

1. Took the baby pool out of the garden (from the windy storm last night).
2. Added new support for my tomatoes (tying them to an overhead pole)
3. Excited to see the "volunteer" Black Krim set fruit!
4. Noticed the first bell pepper setting fruit, the hot peppers withered
away (it's been cold and rainy).
5. Found pods on my Blue Lake pole beans.
6. Just picked my FIRST cucumber ever. It's a big-un! :D

http://idigmygarden.com/forums/pictu...pictureid=2935

w8in4dave July 26, 2009 10:13 AM

Wow that is a nice one!! Sure makes that quarter look small ...