IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

garden_vato July 27, 2009 06:48 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I have tomatoes! I have tomatoes!!! Well, I got one anyway. It was the first tomato of the season, a brandywine. So beautiful! Tart in the center, mild in the middle and the green shoulders were so amazingly sweet I couldnt believe it. That was definitely the best tomato I have ever had in my entire life. It was an unforgettable experience. Thank you God for blessing me with that tomato!

hikingonthru July 27, 2009 06:59 PM

Got maters on top of maters...and I am LOVING it. No squash, though. And the cukes I planted this year just hoovered (national pickling). Anyhow, it is time to think of fall gardening and I am doing just that.

lumina July 27, 2009 08:58 PM

I have some tomatoes too, and I watched a ground squirrel run off w/ one in it's mouth last night. Tonight, she brought all the babies out to dine. Chained the beagle up down there, hopefully they'll get the picture. Doubtful! :( :)

hikingonthru July 27, 2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumina (Post 323482)
I have some tomatoes too, and I watched a ground squirrel run off w/ one in it's mouth last night. Tonight, she brought all the babies out to dine. Chained the beagle up down there, hopefully they'll get the picture. Doubtful! :( :)

Got one myself...and I really, really don't like the thieving going on. Fraid I am gonna have to set a trap.

w8in4dave July 28, 2009 10:33 AM

Well we are not home this week so we are letting the weeds grow yet, and letting the bugs get comfy and full .. till we come home and start destroying their measly lil lives ,killing them one by one, and ripping them weeds out from their deep seeded roots.. Ha we will show them who's boss! then I will take a picture of my perfect garden :)

gerry July 29, 2009 06:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I decided to put some okra in the flower garden where the flowers didn't come up. Planted 15 seeds Sat and have 10 sprouts this afternoon. Pictures are a tad out of date - there are some leaves this evening!

gerry July 29, 2009 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Someone's been digging in my garden!!!! :eek: My poor beans ...

I suspect squirrels or kittens. :mad:

hikingonthru July 29, 2009 09:12 PM

Seeded out 36 broccoli sets today. Hope to have them make before frost. If we have temps like we did last year (70's on Christmas day) it should do rather well. Wish I had room to grow 1000 broccoli plants.

GreyMoon9 July 29, 2009 09:33 PM

I planted my cabbage seedlings into the garden today, suplemnting the soil with alpaca manure, coffee grounds and bone meal.. we shall see...

TastyofHasty July 30, 2009 10:26 AM

I planted Florence Fennel (seed), more Golden Bush Zucchini (seed) hoping by the time they are producing the squash bugs will not be around (hope, hope), and some tiny edible gourd plants I'd started in a pot.

gulfcoastguy July 30, 2009 04:22 PM

Drowning rats! It was a double header in the boxtrap today. Hopefully they will all begone in time to let me harvest a second crop of kiwanos. Next year I'll start trapping a month ahead of planting. BTW the best bait seems to be an overripe cucumber big enough that they actually have to work to get it off the trigger.

w8in4dave July 30, 2009 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
need I explain more?

turbomicah July 31, 2009 01:12 PM

We've had so much rain this summer! We have rain in the forecast for then next week.
All I can do in my garden right now is replenish the soil with nutrients.
I'm constantly making compost tea and pouring it into the soil.
From what I understand, all this rain washes the soil of it's nutrients.
It's amazing how much my Mater plants have grown in the past 4 days after applying compost tea.
I guess there's nothing I can do about my maters cracking on the side from too much water.

sharon1957 July 31, 2009 06:35 PM

Harvested a second cacnteloupe/muskmelon yesterday; will eat it tomorrow probably. Hope it's not as watery in flavor as the first. Think that might be related to so much rain but might grow a different variety next year. Anyone else having that problem with Kansas melon, or any other melon?
Think we will harvest our first watermelon tomorrow, too -- maybe even two of two different varieties. We have five this year from five hills total of three varieties. Never had that many before -- maybe I said that already but I'm very excited about it. So's DH and he's not even a big watermelon fan. He's especially interested in the Orangeglo.
Tons of tomatoes now and tons more to come. Giving away most of the cherry tomatoes and still have lots. Cooking Bemi stew (lebonese; whole okra fried with onion and then topped with chopped plum tomatoes and simmered down) and hubby likes that too, which is good because I don't think we need to eat that much breaded and fried okra.
Crowder peas are so pretty and almost ready to harvest and then turn under and replant with fall crops. Bush beans are starting to produce -- yummy! Forgot how good they are that fresh. Have eaten soom in the garden but none have made it indoors to the cooking pot yet.
Eating lots of eggplant, and the Metki Green Serpent Melon is good stir fried when it is too big to eat raw as a cuke substitute. DH will eat both if I add enough Italian sausage....
We planted at the very front of the lot, beside the house, and neighbors have been dropping by to introduce themselves and congratulate us on the garden. That's exactly the way I wanted them to see us first. I'm very happy it's doing so well the first year.
Those fake huckleberries have generated a lot of interest at work -- everybody love them or hates them. They would make a good preserve, I think, but we've been using them mostly as a conversation piece, and as an offering to the birds.
Gotta run; dinner just arrived. (It's Friday night and he volunteered to get take-out -- yea!)

PCKGRat July 31, 2009 08:37 PM

Harvested so many tomatoes that I need to get a pressure cooker quick. Or, they are going into the dehydrator tonight. I can save them for some soups etc. Unfortunately, not many places carry pressure canners or cookers.

Chopped down the strawberry popcorn stalks. I need to plant more next year to get a better yield.

Watering... Watering... Watering.

garden_vato July 31, 2009 09:14 PM

picked a couple tomatoes, battling curly top virus on the tomatoes and beans, found an over-ripe lemon cucumber i didnt know was there :mad: went to the store and bought a buffalo roast, some blue potatoes, and pink corn.......can anyone say dutch oven? just need some beer for the sauce. maybe some mushrooms too.

to top it all off, though its totally unrelated to gardening, i went and got sushi today. my favorite sushi place was closed, so we had to resort to the one that opened up down the street. pretty good, but i missed my regular place. still had the same effect sushi has on me though. its a much brighter day.....i wonder if some of those raw fish have some kind of drug in them.....

garden_vato July 31, 2009 09:34 PM

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! Just went out to the garden to move the water and found another cucumber hiding on the trellis. it looked like a lemon cuke at first but it was too green to be one. then i remembered that i bought richmond green apple cucumber seeds. i think i may have a new favorite......one of the most beautiful taste sensations of all time. woo hoo

bughunter99 July 31, 2009 09:43 PM

Oh that sounds yummy Vato.

Stacy

Mt.Imagine July 31, 2009 09:59 PM

I've been clearing out my old okra plants (all 36 of them) and am preparing the space for new planting--of peppers, groundcherries, and the like. Last night I put up lots of new seedlings in my greenhouse--litchi tomato, scarlet runner, true black brandywine, stevia... Today I planted some costata romanesca and lebanese white bush marrow squash. Today I also had to deal with the reality that I went out to water twice a day for nothing; lettuce will never germinate in this heat, no matter how many lettuce seeds I pound into the dirt. Now I'm about to go plant white wonder watermelon and collective farm women.

TastyofHasty August 1, 2009 09:35 PM

I pulled up a bunch of grass out of the wet soil, planted a kind of "dwarf bean" called "The Prince," pulled up some more grass, draped a few dead branches over the greenhouse frame (bare) for beans to grow on; pulled up some more grass.

w8in4dave August 2, 2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PCKGRat (Post 325945)
Harvested so many tomatoes that I need to get a pressure cooker quick. Or, they are going into the dehydrator tonight. I can save them for some soups etc. Unfortunately, not many places carry pressure canners or cookers.

Chopped down the strawberry popcorn stalks. I need to plant more next year to get a better yield.

Watering... Watering... Watering.

PCKGRat,
You can waterbath your tomatoes you don't have to pressure can them. It takes just as much time to do either.. I don't like to pressure can tomatoes myself. thats just me tho :)

lumina August 2, 2009 09:51 AM

Getting ready to go buy a pellet gun, and take care of some ground squirrels. I've been irritated w/ them eating on all the fruit. But, now they're eating my okra PLANTS, not the fruit, but the leaves. :( ggggggrrrrrrr

w8in4dave August 2, 2009 11:48 AM

Time for war huh lumina??? :) ..... I walked my BIL thru our garden showed off our spaghetti squash (he won't eat it) showed off my black tomatoes (he won't eat tomatoes) showed off my pumpkins greenbeans green pepper (He won't eat any of it) He won't even eat the red tomatoes ... I say he just aint right!!

BlackMudGarden August 2, 2009 11:49 AM

Pulling up tired sugar snap pea and Jumbo bush bean vines and getting ready to replant for fall. The peas produced bountifully until the temp hit 108.

Mt.Imagine August 2, 2009 04:52 PM

After doing my usual greenhouse melon pollination, I got another little brush and went outside to my cucumber plants to see what I could do - there are both male and female flowers now, but I haven't seen the bees yet, and nor have I see any cucumbers plumping up, so I just had to do it myself. I will not go without eating the rich variety (striped armenian, lemon, pickling, slicing...) of cucumbers I planted. Aterwards, I harvested a lot of wonderlight tomatoes and some fresh eggplant, cinnoman basil, and rosemary.

organicbaby August 2, 2009 06:27 PM

Sowing carrots and planting fall tomatoes. Harvested oregano, marjoram, tarragon and rosemary to dry and store. Still puzzling over a full-sized cantaloupe disappearing off of the vine. :confused:

gulfcoastguy August 2, 2009 06:50 PM

Picked Blacktail Mountain watermelons, Poohna Kheera cucumbers, Zavory peppers, and Fox Cherry tomatos. Allready planning next years gardens. Anybody planted Florida Pink tomatos? They are on my short list. Just maybe somebody will add them to their catalogue so that I won't have to make multiple orders. Hint, Hint. Considering Giant Marconi peppers and maybe a cushaw of some variety because Shishigatani just ain't making it around here.

lumina August 2, 2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w8in4dave (Post 326780)
I walked my BIL thru our garden showed off our spaghetti squash (he won't eat it) showed off my black tomatoes (he won't eat tomatoes) showed off my pumpkins greenbeans green pepper (He won't eat any of it) He won't even eat the red tomatoes ... I say he just aint right!!

I had a neighbor in WA who lived to 85 (WWII vet), he didn't eat many veggies. He planted potatoes in his garden, and it wasn't until we started growing other veggies & giving them to him & his wife that he started planting "other" veggies for his wife. :)

He also used to give us salmon, halibut, & steelhead all the time. Oh, I miss him & WA soooo much. :)

Moral of the story, not everyone needs to eat their greens to live a long, healthy life. ;)

kellygirrl August 3, 2009 12:44 AM

But if you want to live to 100 (instead of just 85), don't take any chances, eat your veggies. :)

sharon1957 August 3, 2009 07:19 AM

Celebrating our first hummingbird at the place we moved into last year over labor day Weekend. It was on the sunflower that grew right outside my kitchen window -- the only sunflower that came up from the wildflower mix we scattered (thickly) there.