IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Digging (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are you all doing for your gardens right now??? (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13949)

bellzeybubba February 1, 2009 12:06 PM

Re: What are you all doing for your gardens right now???

More work on the ornamental beds - serious pruning, feeding, mulching. One of my precious antique roses has blackspot for the first time ever :( so I sprayed it with baking soda and am hoping for the best. Later today I'll work in the kitchen garden - thin the turnip and radish seedlings, prep a row for the tomato, cabbage, and broccoli seedlings that are going, and start some herb seeds.

wheatfree February 1, 2009 02:05 PM

I picked lettuce yesterday. I need to pull the outer leaves of the bok choy today, replant a section of the spinach bed, & check on the kohlrabi - some of which are 2" across now. Should probably water the covered beds while I'm out there too.

Then, I go back to impatiently waiting for my seeds to get here.

Nita

Jennifer3141 February 1, 2009 02:11 PM

I planted my eggplant today. I soaked it for about 16 hours first. I thought there should be trumpets or something with the first seeds going in. :D

whodat February 2, 2009 04:13 PM

I had some tomato seeds planted in cups, in a bin, and placed on top of the freezer in the utility room. I have been glancing at them from time to time but hadn't realized that they had sprouted. Man, those things are leggy! I pulled them down, took the lid off of the bin and set in front of the living room window for more sunlight, since it's overcast and drizzly today. I am wondering if they will be worth messing with or not at this point. I don't know how they got so lanky before I even realized that they had sprouted!

Locavore February 2, 2009 04:17 PM

Planted potatos in plastic bins over the weekend. The tomatoes I started last week are up in the greenhouse. Put in a 4th round of garlic. Wandering the garden dreaming....:)

julianna February 3, 2009 03:51 AM

Today I started some alpine strawberry seeds (late! I know! I didn't realize I should have done that in december), some artichokes, chives, and tokyo white bunching onions. I have high hopes for my babies. 13 more days and I'll start some more things.

MattMatts-Momma February 3, 2009 07:02 AM

I have got mine all cleared of the weeds. I planted some carrots and beets last week, we'll see how that goes! I also have some potatoes I am sprouting. I am going to try and plant those this weekend.

My day was made yesterday when I received some seeds from wintersown. I got several tomato varieties, parsley, cucumber and lots of flower seeds.

PCKGRat February 5, 2009 05:35 AM

Today I set the seedlings out in the sun. My roommate put up one of my tomato fences. I added some more coffee grounds and organic dregs (carrots etc from juice place) into the compost pile. I looked at everything and congratulated the sprouts for sprouting.

jbest123 February 5, 2009 05:57 AM

Come on you guys. Its 6 deg outside now.:( Have a heart.

John

HBKitmitto February 5, 2009 10:32 AM

I actually planted a few of my tomato plants yesterday. I'ma little more than a week early but the weather has been awesome all week and I felt like taking a risk. If I lose them, no biggie, I have PLENTY more ready to go.

Oh yeah, I noticed a few strawberry blossoms on my plants this morning!!:D

PCKGRat February 5, 2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbest123 (Post 215595)
Come on you guys. Its 6 deg outside now.:( Have a heart.

John

We can send you some green leaves John.

Don't worry we will get hit by the hot summer sun and have to figure out ways to keep our plants cool and watered while you guys enjoy plenty of rain. California is also notorious for powdery mildew and I already had my first dose of that and of aphids.

Of course, I just harvested some purple cauliflower and a head of brocolli today along with some remaining serrano peppers, snow peas and sugar anns (there were dry pods to which I have harvested for seed).

And, I set the seedlings outside again, though it will rain and they will need to come in. And, I was digging in the dirt...

But still, when we are whining about the heat and drought, you all will be sharing the beauty of rain.

Lemon Water February 5, 2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whodat (Post 213830)
I had some tomato seeds planted in cups, in a bin, and placed on top of the freezer in the utility room. I have been glancing at them from time to time but hadn't realized that they had sprouted. Man, those things are leggy! I pulled them down, took the lid off of the bin and set in front of the living room window for more sunlight, since it's overcast and drizzly today. I am wondering if they will be worth messing with or not at this point. I don't know how they got so lanky before I even realized that they had sprouted!

I had some leggy tomatoes last year (first year trying to really start everything form seed). The great thing about tomatoes, is if you plant them deep, they'll grow roots along their stem. So in the end, I found the legginess from when they first sprouted didn't seem to hurt. I still got healthy, vigorous plants. Just be sure they get enough sunlight later :D

As for me, I started the peppers and tomatoes about 3 weeks ago? Just started some eggplants, herbs, more tomatoes and peppers, and some flowers a few days ago. Also planted some miracle fruit seeds, so we'll see how those do.

I've been digging in more compost still, and we just started to do a little bit of landscaping by removing some ugly plants. So now I'm preparing those areas, and planning on what to put there. My mom wants flowers since it's out front, and we do need some colour! But I'll be sneaking in some edibles too!

Everything is growing and waiting to be eaten. Between school, seed starting, and trying to landscape I'm pretty busy! I'm betting everything won't work out all picture perfect, but it's hard to do when you're only one person! :o

redneckplanter February 5, 2009 06:47 PM

been traying toms like crazy...
eggplant and peppers too.....

GardenChic February 5, 2009 10:00 PM

Apologizing to it for all of this unbecoming Florida cold weather. :eek:

whodat February 5, 2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GardenChic (Post 216068)
Apologizing to it for all of this unbecoming Florida cold weather. :eek:

Yeah! Right?
My poor onions are taking a beating, but they're hangin' in there. I think the mustard will be done for pretty soon.

Imp February 5, 2009 11:06 PM

I'm planning on getting some more manure from a friend's place and digging up some more rough beds to get more greens going in them. Going to call and see if I can get out to the county dump and get some more compost if iI shovel it.

That will be mixed in as well.

hikingonthru February 6, 2009 08:18 AM

Waiting for the bermudagrass to die!

GardenChic February 6, 2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whodat (Post 216096)
Yeah! Right?
My poor onions are taking a beating, but they're hangin' in there. I think the mustard will be done for pretty soon.

May the force of the onions and mustard be with you! :D

Good luck!

spud February 9, 2009 01:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not a very good pic of mache, it overwintered in a hoop house and no other covering. It suprisingly didn't even get mushy or soft. Carrots were left in the ground and covered with dry leaves and plastic. They suprisingly didn't freeze and carrots are just as crunchy as they were in the fall.

DebbieG February 9, 2009 01:27 PM

Well, the snow has melted off, but it is still way to muddy to do anything. The weather has gone from artic to nice, and it's supposed to be warm(er) for the rest of the week. It's still way to early to plant, but I can contimue to dream, and days like this drive me nuts. I want to plant but...... Oh well, at least I can enjoy the sunshine while it lasts.

I do have seedlings started in the house and will get another set going sometime this week, I think?

DebbieG

cyra February 9, 2009 03:01 PM

Picking lemons, but I'm cheating here. It's not technically part of my so-called "garden" (3 flower beds), it's my neighbor's, but if I water it, I get to pick it....and it needs picking, my neighbor didn't know you have to thin lemons this large or their weight will break the tree's branches. Guess I'll be juicing & freezing lemonade here, shortly.
I haven't really done anything for my garden but clean up debris, and plant a lot of seeds in between the blessed rain. Didn't truly appreciate how precious it was, until this year...

RozieDozie February 9, 2009 03:11 PM

I'm still working on my backyard lasagna bed. Got all of the cardboard down, have that covered with the first layer of mulch and bought cement blocks to border it. Hauled all those blocks out of the truck and rolled them into the backyard with the wheel barrow now I'm kinda' stowed up. :)

We finally had a little rain today; still in a big drought, though.

steady February 9, 2009 04:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
im fixen to go on a planting binge... yep i got my order from baker creek today and im stoked, however the plastic for my second hoop house is no good so i gots to go get some of that stuff

but im ready i got my bigt bag of potting soil type of stuff that im mixing with garden soil, my containers are ready and im bout ready to go sow some carrots , beets spinach ,

im hoping to plant 1 seed of each variety of melons ive currently got ... 1`4 total this should be interesting as i taint going to worried bout cross breeding(polination) cause them melon plants are going to be close to each other im going to be using containers ive got 9 and need to secure 5 more.

a neighbor is in the landscaping business and i asked him to bring me a samople of the soil he sells as i may buy 2 or 3 yard of soil to improve the area tha tneeds improvinmg( opps i was trying to attach a picture but obviloulsy thats teh wrong one and i previed tehis post but how to remove that hmm oh well
thats what im doing i even planted some flower seeds today and weeded some. i had fun weeding while the rain was falling been so long sine we had a nice rain that there was no need to stay inside just put the rain coat on and get to work. lots to be done
if ya cant tell im happy to have my seeds and am ready to geta planting:)

Groundblade48 February 9, 2009 05:02 PM

right now nothing. It's still a quagmire and I'll just have to wait for it to dry or I'll end up with a brick slab..LOL.

PCKGRat February 10, 2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camochef (Post 204360)
I'm looking out the window at the snow that's covering it wondering... when will it go above freezing so it will begin to melt? and... when will this stop, it's driving me crazy???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q4cb...eature=related

I just wanted to make you feel better.

You remember all that sun and growing plants that I mentioned... Well, I told you that we would get a rut too.

It rained for many days. My garden is flooded and it frosted this morning. The olive, lemon and orange tree are inside. This is good.

All the seedling are in as well.

I have determined that I will start planting by the Rat Moon chart (i.e., whenever I have the time with no regard to the actual moon). Had I planted outside already, all the babies would be dead.

I don't know if my lettuce will rebound.

So you should be comforted in knowing that the spring will soon come.

steady February 10, 2009 06:56 PM

whew what a day,
i got my 2nd hoop hut constructed yipeee
was abel to plant the following seeds today
white currant tomato
thia yellow egg eggplant
minesota midget melon
blacktail mountain water melon
healys pride melon
the litchi tomatoe that is new to baker creek
tennessee sweet potatoe
lebanese white bush marrow sqush
upper ground sweet potato
costata romanesco squash
crook neck early golden squash

most were 2 or 3 seeds except the white currant cherry tomato which 6 where planted

now hopefully the will grow
i also planted tulips
and another ten strawberry plants

I_Luv_2Make_Salsa February 12, 2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steady (Post 219300)
whew what a day,
i got my 2nd hoop hut constructed yipeee
was abel to plant the following seeds today
white currant tomato
thia yellow egg eggplant
minesota midget melon
blacktail mountain water melon
healys pride melon
the litchi tomatoe that is new to baker creek
tennessee sweet potatoe
lebanese white bush marrow sqush
upper ground sweet potato
costata romanesco squash
crook neck early golden squash

most were 2 or 3 seeds except the white currant cherry tomato which 6 where planted

now hopefully the will grow
i also planted tulips
and another ten strawberry plants

Hi Ed!
Sounds wonderful!:rolleyes:

hikingonthru February 12, 2009 10:41 PM

Today, my sone (3 years old) helped me to fashion a raised bed out of old 2x6 decking wood we recycled when a friend tore off a deck from his house. It was a little wider and a little shorter than what I wanted but, hey...free wood! I bought him his first official garden trowel that is his very own.
He helped move dirt when I was nailing the boards down. We got about 1/5 inches of rain in an hour last night so this wet clay was up his alley! Gonna lay some weedcloth down the sides and make an apron but for the most part, it is done. Just got to mix in leaves with the dirt I have there.
I think it ended up being a foot high on the top end and about 1.5 foot on the downhill end (see why I need raised beds???) - 73 inches wide and 84 inches long. I think I will make it my herb garden.

hikingonthru February 12, 2009 10:44 PM

Oh yeah, and bought one of those Jiffy trays with 72 of those little starter pellets cuz I wanted to start seed and my wife would kill me if I drug "all that dirty stuff into my house right before Valentine's).

The boys sandbox did catch GALLONS of rainwater. Gonna strain it and boil it and use it on my seeds. See if it makes any difference in germination over tap (chlorinated) water.

TastyofHasty February 13, 2009 10:14 AM

I spent a little while out in my main garden area, chopping out bermuda grass while it's still weak and dead-looking and not all green and crawling and sending out roots yet.