IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

springfever August 10, 2010 10:43 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Well, my brother gave me 4 pictures that look like drawings , black/white, seaside type someone had glued them to a black velvet back. I will try to take pictures of them and post them.

axhandle August 11, 2010 06:47 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 591142)
in all honesty i dont think rembrandt controls light as well as caravaggio. maybe i should say uses it with the intensity that caravaggio does.

Caravaggio is the Master of Light, I describe it as his ability to paint-- light--and he is always tightly focused.
couple more later.

axhandle August 11, 2010 06:49 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by springfever (Post 591358)
Well, my brother gave me 4 pictures that look like drawings , black/white, seaside type someone had glued them to a black velvet back. I will try to take pictures of them and post them.

Lucky you, he did a lot of black and white/pen and inks/seaside.
Love to see them.

axhandle August 11, 2010 07:30 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
Ajla--would this not be treat, is that a grape arbor on top?Double-- a shade and fruit--:)

axhandle August 11, 2010 10:29 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 591139)
two of my favs.

Barrymore really reminds me of my time's, in the '50's-- Hospitals,which I experienced, "The Patient , you Oaf!, do you not- descerne ?"

"Leave here, you have no Figment, much less a Grasp of, her, the appendix has ruptured, She is in my care Now!"

Ajla August 11, 2010 11:23 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 590916)
Pep is a good guy, wherever he is.

The Maserati ,Marque, in my mind, and tracking it back--(Geneology)--The Trident-it links to my name----"of the Sea"--still searching--I get Seasick--what a contrast--!!--guess my genes just made me an-- Infantryman, with the memory of an Elephant--

Will post pics of my Bicycles in about a week, hopefully--Link in to Harris Cycles,
just outside of Boston, US, you will be amazed,

For now, my interest turns toward my Norton, motorcycle which needs front brakes re-built--How 'Bout a Ride to a Bench, on a river , overlooking a castle of the 12th century, ;):)--My 'Kinda Ride---:)

Get those brakes fixed, ship her to Rotterdam, and if you have a spare helmet, you can pick me up, on your way, next to De Kroon!

Ajla August 11, 2010 11:30 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 591514)
Ajla--would this not be treat, is that a grape arbor on top?Double-- a shade and fruit--:)

Great picture! Detail again! A cow, a cat, and grapes for sure, although I don't really want to be reminded of those at the moment!

axhandle August 11, 2010 03:48 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 591752)
Get those brakes fixed, ship her to Rotterdam, and if you have a spare helmet, you can pick me up, on your way, next to De Kroon!

And the "Hour"--?--::)

axhandle August 11, 2010 03:55 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 591757)
Great picture! Detail again! A cow, a cat, and grapes for sure, although I don't really want to be reminded of those at the moment!

It's somewhere in Holland, compliments of Rembrandt--I envision a small Skiff,(with a sail) pushing off at sunset, to explore the river---a picnic basket, cheese, bread some wine and sweets--docking back at midnight--and the nights slumber--:)

"Simple things of life, experience once, remember forever"---Ax.

skiracer August 11, 2010 05:58 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 592214)
It's somewhere in Holland, compliments of Rembrandt--I envision a small Skiff,(with a sail) pushing off at sunset, to explore the river---a picnic basket, cheese, bread some wine and sweets--docking back at midnight--and the nights slumber--:)

"Simple things of life, experience once, remember forever"---Ax.

Ax, you are a hopeless romantic. that's a good thing.

axhandle August 11, 2010 06:50 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 592305)
Ax, you are a hopeless romantic. that's a good thing.

Chuckle--" The Better Angels , of my Nature"--;):)

Garlicluvr August 12, 2010 07:42 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 591142)
in all honesty i dont think rembrandt controls light as well as caravaggio. maybe i should say uses it with the intensity that caravaggio does.

I have to vote for caravaggio too when it comes to use of light. Rembrant used it well also to highlight his subjects and obscure some of the othere elements in his paintings and steer the viewrs focus.

I didnt know you two were art afficionados. I love the old masters and italian Rennaissance artists, also some of the French Impressionists, I really like some of Renoir's work. Also like american artists such as Winslow Homer.


Morning Ax and Skiracer.

Jeff:)

skiracer August 12, 2010 07:57 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 592749)
I have to vote for caravaggio too when it comes to use of light. Rembrant used it well also to highlight his subjects and obscure some of the othere elements in his paintings and steer the viewrs focus.

I didnt know you two were art afficionados. I love the old masters and italian Rennaissance artists, also some of the French Impressionists, I really like some of Renoir's work. Also like american artists such as Winslow Homer.


Morning Ax and Skiracer.

Jeff:)

my wife and I were at the Phila. Mus. of Art last week to see Renoir: The Later Years exhibit. They had about 180 paintings at this exhibit. Renoir suffered from a very bad case of arthritis. It is a wonder how he was able to hold the brushes in his later years. This is about the 3rd time we have been to one of his exhibits. Along with Cezanne, Renoir is my fav impressionist. Were going in Sept to see an exhibit on some of Michangelo's work. there will be some paintings, manuscripts, statues, and drawings and sketches of his projects. you only go thru life once and we go every chance we get to see the old masters and any of the more important painters. Saw Picasso: His Paris Years and a number of his contemporaries earlier this year at the Phila. Mus. another great American one along with Homer is Andrew Wyeth. His work surprised me it was so captivating. his brush work is so intricate and involved it is beyond belief. It absolutely draws you into the work. he has a painting named "the boot" of a simple old boot lying in the sand. it is unbelievable. one to see if you get a chance.

axhandle August 12, 2010 08:11 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 592749)
I have to vote for caravaggio too when it comes to use of light. Rembrant used it well also to highlight his subjects and obscure some of the othere elements in his paintings and steer the viewrs focus.

I didnt know you two were art afficionados. I love the old masters and italian Rennaissance artists, also some of the French Impressionists, I really like some of Renoir's work. Also like american artists such as Winslow Homer.


Morning Ax and Skiracer.

Jeff:)

Mornin ,Jeff

Two of my favorite Renoirs--I like Homer also.

skiracer August 12, 2010 08:14 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 592802)
Mornin ,Jeff

Two of my favorite Renoirs--I like Homer also.

I've seen them both in person. remarkable.

Garlicluvr August 12, 2010 08:15 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 590834)
What a break!--Old Sol has been hidden behind the clouds for a few days, albeit 110F, air like lead, and bugs 'A 'Mighty.
Actually got some things done outside, with some help from an Igloo cooler full of ice water , and some salt pills.
Sat back on the covered deck,late, very still, and watched my Hummers--Tom, Dick, and Harry battle it out for domination of the feeder--"Life is Gravy (After a Point:)"--enjoy it.

Ax.

Ax: love the Hummer names, I like watching them battle it out over the feeder. I put out a couple of feeders because I had so many and one in particular was dominating the feeder.

Named the ones at my previous place, Anna, Verninio, and Bella, the Italian Hummers not to be confused with the Italian Tenors.

Jeff:D

axhandle August 12, 2010 08:22 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 592807)
I've seen them both in person. remarkable.

I can imagine---

Garlicluvr August 12, 2010 08:22 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Ax: Two very nice examples of his work, i like his paintings of his children and wife you can see how he felt about them in the way he painted.

Some of my favorite Homers are the ones with human subjects, I like crack the whip, and some he painted of fish mongers, etc. I also like his nautical themed paintings of which there were many.

Jeff

Garlicluvr August 12, 2010 08:24 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 592807)
I've seen them both in person. remarkable.

I need to make some time to get to a few museums, the national gallery of art is just up the road, need to get there soon, a good outing for me and the wife.

Jeff

axhandle August 12, 2010 08:25 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 592813)
Ax: love the Hummer names, I like watching them battle it out over the feeder. I put out a couple of feeders because I had so many and one in particular was dominating the feeder.

Named the ones at my previous place, Anna, Verninio, and Bella, the Italian Hummers not to be confused with the Italian Tenors.

Jeff:D

They are a trip--!! two Ruby Throats and a smaller one--the little one Holds his Own with the bigger ones.
Got a few Yellow Jackets that are in the fray too, they try to run the hummers off.
Nature's entertainment.:)

axhandle August 12, 2010 08:31 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 592778)
my wife and I were at the Phila. Mus. of Art last week to see Renoir: The Later Years exhibit. They had about 180 paintings at this exhibit. Renoir suffered from a very bad case of arthritis. It is a wonder how he was able to hold the brushes in his later years. This is about the 3rd time we have been to one of his exhibits. Along with Cezanne, Renoir is my fav impressionist. Were going in Sept to see an exhibit on some of Michangelo's work. there will be some paintings, manuscripts, statues, and drawings and sketches of his projects. you only go thru life once and we go every chance we get to see the old masters and any of the more important painters. Saw Picasso: His Paris Years and a number of his contemporaries earlier this year at the Phila. Mus. another great American one along with Homer is Andrew Wyeth. His work surprised me it was so captivating. his brush work is so intricate and involved it is beyond belief. It absolutely draws you into the work. he has a painting named "the boot" of a simple old boot lying in the sand. it is unbelievable. one to see if you get a chance.

Saw some origional Wyeths at Hotel DuPont, in Wilmington, Delaware---they were hanging on the wall in the restaurant!! Gads, not me I'd hang a print--but with DuPonts money----:) Will have to look up the Boot.

The Van Eycks were so detailed they got down to using a single brush bristle in their work--amazing.

Garlicluvr August 12, 2010 08:31 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Skiracer: I am veering off subject here but remembered from another post that you have quite the knife collection. Do you have any damascus or pattern welded blades? When I get some time I need to fire up the forge and attempt to make some pattern welded steel.

I also like the british commando knives, dont know the correct spelling but Sykes Fairbane or something similiar. i know you said this was one of your favorites.

I used to have WWII Japanese officers sword Katana length with scabbard but sold it at a time when cash was tight.


Jeff

skiracer August 12, 2010 08:58 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 592837)
Skiracer: I am veering off subject here but remembered from another post that you have quite the knife collection. Do you have any damascus or pattern welded blades? When I get some time I need to fire up the forge and attempt to make some pattern welded steel.

I also like the british commando knives, dont know the correct spelling but Sykes Fairbane or something similiar. i know you said this was one of your favorites.

I used to have WWII Japanese officers sword Katana length with scabbard but sold it at a time when cash was tight.


Jeff

Fairbairn/Sykes is the correct spelling not that it matters. it's my favorite and my most valuable. very hard to get an original and nowadays it would be expensive. I would never part with it. I love to just take it out and show it to friends but what I really like to do is to sharpen it. just knowing where it's been and what it's been thru excites me. I own no knives that are damascus or pattern welded that I know of although I am familiar with the "pattern welded process" I do have a couple of old 12 gauge shotguns that are damascus "wrapped" steel barrels. I'm not sure if they are made of the pattern welded process. But I think that wrapping in a circular pattern was quite common way in the old days for making gun barrels. dangerous with our high powered loads and slugs these days and although I own them I don't use them because of that. the end of the barrels on the Damascus wrapped steel tends to explode at the end of the barrel. not sure if it is the fault of the ammo, old age, or just the engineering of the way the barrel was wrapped.
That Katana officers sword is the curved sword that the Samurai used. What did you get for it when you sold it? pretty valuable in todays market. it's a shame that you had to unload it. i don't know if i could do that. once i own them i deep six them.

axhandle August 12, 2010 09:02 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
2 Attachment(s)
A patch knife(muzzleloader) made years ago:
Dogs jawbone, Brusletto Norweigen laminated steel blade, rosewood butt, and shrimshaw by Ax.

Feeble and novice, but it works.

skiracer August 12, 2010 09:09 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 592885)
A patch knife(muzzleloader) made years ago:
Dogs jawbone, Brusletto Norweigen laminated steel blade, rosewood butt, and shrimshaw by Ax.

Feeble and novice, but it works.

real nice work on all of it Ax. Is that a real dogs jawbone?

axhandle August 12, 2010 09:11 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Origional Sykes brings a premium, have a copy I used to take with me Boar hunting, about the only thing that would penetrate the mantle if things got "Tight".

Friend of mine--Knifemakers Guild turned out some superb Damascus knives, he also knew the guy that made, practically, all the knives etc--for the movie, --Last of the Mohicans.

Garlicluvr August 12, 2010 09:14 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 592882)
Fairbairn/Sykes is the correct spelling not that it matters. it's my favorite and my most valuable. very hard to get an original and nowadays it would be expensive. I would never part with it. I love to just take it out and show it to friends but what I really like to do is to sharpen it. just knowing where it's been and what it's been thru excites me. I own no knives that are damascus or pattern welded that I know of although I am familiar with the "pattern welded process" I do have a couple of old 12 gauge shotguns that are damascus "wrapped" steel barrels. I'm not sure if they are made of the pattern welded process. But I think that wrapping in a circular pattern was quite common way in the old days for making gun barrels. dangerous with our high powered loads and slugs these days and although I own them I don't use them because of that. the end of the barrels on the Damascus wrapped steel tends to explode at the end of the barrel. not sure if it is the fault of the ammo, old age, or just the engineering of the way the barrel was wrapped.
That Katana officers sword is the curved sword that the Samurai used. What did you get for it when you sold it? pretty valuable in todays market. it's a shame that you had to unload it. i don't know if i could do that. once i own them i deep six them.

skiracer: I got $500-$600 at the time and wish I had kept it now. I am familiar with and fascinated by the Samurai weapons also I know the Katana were some of the longest and curved. The blade making process for japanese sword blades and damascus steel are quite similiar as the metal was hammered out and folded over and over again. Metallurgy is one of my interests along with blacksmiting in general and I have a decent collection of books on the subject. I also love wrought iron work, there are some amazing arcitechural pieces, I especially like some of the more ornate gates, stair rails etc.


Do your damascus barrelled shotguns have the browned finish? I think they are beauties even if they are not safe to shoot with todays higher pressure loads. I would be tempted to load up some of my own with black powder just to shoot them.

Fine doubles are probably my favorite firearms as I grew up in Kansas and was weaned on Upland Game hunting, pheasants, quail, and some prarie chickens. Wingshooting is still my favorite followed closely by rifle shooting. I like long range target shooting and when i get back home varmint hunting usually prarie dogs.

Jeff:)

axhandle August 12, 2010 09:14 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 592896)
real nice work on all of it Ax. Is that a real dogs jawbone?

Yes , surprising it works well and somewhat like ivory.
Should try it--#10 surgical cyst blade, a toothpick to just touch the line with India Ink--it'll fill in beautifully.

skiracer August 12, 2010 09:16 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 592899)
Origional Sykes brings a premium, have a copy I used to take with me Boar hunting, about the only thing that would penetrate the mantle if things got "Tight".

Friend of mine--Knifemakers Guild turned out some superb Damascus knives, he also knew the guy that made, practically, all the knives etc--for the movie, --Last of the Mohicans.

I have a couple of copies. One is a Boker and the other is a Gerber. the original never would get used for anything other than looking at it. Gerber makes a real nice one.
BTW is that a "Kraken" on the knifehandle?

axhandle August 12, 2010 09:24 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 592905)
I have a couple of copies. One is a Boker and the other is a Gerber. the original never would get used for anything other than looking at it. Gerber makes a real nice one.
BTW is that a "Kraken" on the knifehandle?

It is, I tried to put a nautical theme to it, whale gliding underneath a snagged fishing net on the opposite.

Samuris, underneath the handle , the tang, the makers mark.
Friend gave me a WWII , general issue Japanese sword, it was all to pieces--his boy tried to cut a tree down with it--the Twit--:D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
★ IDigMyGarden™ is a trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2015 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★