IDigMyGarden™ Forums

IDigMyGarden™ Forums (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AX'S CORNER (http://www.idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31067)

axhandle October 18, 2010 11:05 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rkintn (Post 635491)
The weather was gorgeous. We managed to find some water for Katie and cannons for Bubba LOL
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...r/PA150081.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...r/PA150047.jpg

We even managed to spot two little goldfish in Rhea Springs!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...r/PA150072.jpg

The foliage was less than spectacular. It's been so dry this year, that we are going from sorta green to dried up and brown and not much in between:(

Ya Know--really gave me a wake up, Rhea Springs---

axhandle October 18, 2010 11:44 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 635477)
Thanks! Now they sound more like gnocchi than pizzocheri!

Gnocchi--too doughy-pizzochoeri--too spicy--:)

Haluski's --Roll well kneaded dough to about 1'4 inch , cut in triangles about 1 inch,--boil, the ready ones will pop up, and serve with ---Fresh Dill---;):)

"Halusky"!!--;)

Ajla October 19, 2010 04:51 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 636290)
Gnocchi--too doughy-pizzochoeri--too spicy--:)

Haluski's --Roll well kneaded dough to about 1'4 inch , cut in triangles about 1 inch,--boil, the ready ones will pop up, and serve with ---Fresh Dill---;):)

"Halusky"!!--;)

Ahhhhh, I can see you've never tasted anything like my light fluffy gnocchi! :D

axhandle October 19, 2010 07:02 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 636750)
Ahhhhh, I can see you've never tasted anything like my light fluffy gnocchi! :D

But I have already looked up the recipe--:)
Post yours,and I will make accordingly--I can get buckwheat flour here.
I love all these types foods , especially for winter.

axhandle October 19, 2010 07:28 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickweed (Post 636195)
Knock, knock......Ax? Anybody home? SIL got his Christmas gift from his mother yesterday. 24' refridgerated truck - customized to dress and store game. Hogs on wheels!:D

Now thats!, an idea---maybe go to a Razorbacks game, and have a Taigate Party--:D
Investigating,found out there is a huge population of them not 15 miles from here, they infiltrated faster than I was aware of.
Have become a big problem on the backroads at night, traffic hazards--later.
SIL's brother came home about a month ago, and 6 rooting up his back yard--one with nice 4 inch tusks.

Garlicluvr October 19, 2010 07:43 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Pig Roast: Bring a few up my way Ax. I built a smoker for work out of an old 275 gallon oil tank that will handle a hog or two. Has a custom built firebox built on one end out of 1/4" plate lined with firebrick with some sand in bottom.

The firebox is basically a woodstove I used an old fisher I had as a model for the air grates, doors, handles etc. just made it all from scratch.

We use it to smoke turkeys and pork shoulders for work holiday parties, do fundraisers etc. I usually use oak for the burning wood and get a good bed of coals going then add cherry that has been soaked in water overnight for smoking wood, or apple or hickory when we have it. Cherry is very common around here and easy to find. Hickory is around in larger wooded areas too.

Smoke it low and slow for 12 or more hours comes out great, nice smoky flavor.

Jeff:)

axhandle October 19, 2010 09:27 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 636253)
Ya Know--really gave me a wake up, Rhea Springs---

An analysis--Pic of your Son-- the Battery Commander-- he just confirmed sighting of the cannon, verified the load, and stands back to give the order to "Pull the Lanyard"

It's a 12 Pound, Bronze, Napolean, most versatile piece of machinery of the times--should hear one go off--unforgettable--:)

axhandle October 19, 2010 09:38 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
1 Attachment(s)
Got Milk!?--chuckle--The advertising industry owes me some "Coins" Pic c.1945, I had lactose intolerance, they put me on goats milk---Mom was a Nurse,and recognized the fact--

'39 Chevy in the background, in which I learned to drive at 11 yrs old--

axhandle October 19, 2010 10:17 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 636807)
Pig Roast: Bring a few up my way Ax. I built a smoker for work out of an old 275 gallon oil tank that will handle a hog or two. Has a custom built firebox built on one end out of 1/4" plate lined with firebrick with some sand in bottom.

The firebox is basically a woodstove I used an old fisher I had as a model for the air grates, doors, handles etc. just made it all from scratch.

We use it to smoke turkeys and pork shoulders for work holiday parties, do fundraisers etc. I usually use oak for the burning wood and get a good bed of coals going then add cherry that has been soaked in water overnight for smoking wood, or apple or hickory when we have it. Cherry is very common around here and easy to find. Hickory is around in larger wooded areas too.

Smoke it low and slow for 12 or more hours comes out great, nice smoky flavor.

Jeff:)

Fandango and a Slovak Wedding ( one week of Celebration),all in one, at Jeff's-;):)Got my Ride tuned,--Misuss and I, can be there in short notice--Warning-- "Will Robinson", she loves to talk--and is the Jewel of my Life--Ax.

axhandle October 19, 2010 11:17 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
I have to give Tribute--one of my best Friends, Jan Niehuss--from the Netherlands, he was my friend, we talked , and shared,argued, about all subjects--

The Day he had to go into, my hospital was tragic, he extended his hand, and spoke to me, in Dutch--" You are , My Friend, Thank You"

axhandle October 20, 2010 06:46 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 636807)
Pig Roast: Bring a few up my way Ax. I built a smoker for work out of an old 275 gallon oil tank that will handle a hog or two. Has a custom built firebox built on one end out of 1/4" plate lined with firebrick with some sand in bottom.

The firebox is basically a woodstove I used an old fisher I had as a model for the air grates, doors, handles etc. just made it all from scratch.

We use it to smoke turkeys and pork shoulders for work holiday parties, do fundraisers etc. I usually use oak for the burning wood and get a good bed of coals going then add cherry that has been soaked in water overnight for smoking wood, or apple or hickory when we have it. Cherry is very common around here and easy to find. Hickory is around in larger wooded areas too.

Smoke it low and slow for 12 or more hours comes out great, nice smoky flavor.

Jeff:)

Thats an Army Field kitchen---seperate firebox, only way to go--:D

Garlicluvr October 20, 2010 07:05 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Ax: Seperate firebox is the only way to go the previous one didnt have the seperate firebox or a very good damper/air grate so you lost half of your cooking surface.

The other plus is you can cook on top of the firebox with a cast iron skillet or dutch oven. Can even throw the percolator up there and have your joe. Wrap some taters in foil and toss them in the firebox bury in ash along the side.


The whole rig sits on an old dual axle boat trailer, complete with wood rack on the back. A portable smoker.

Jeff:)

skiracer October 20, 2010 07:36 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 637538)
Ax: Seperate firebox is the only way to go the previous one didnt have the seperate firebox or a very good damper/air grate so you lost half of your cooking surface.

The other plus is you can cook on top of the firebox with a cast iron skillet or dutch oven. Can even throw the percolator up there and have your joe. Wrap some taters in foil and toss them in the firebox bury in ash along the side.


The whole rig sits on an old dual axle boat trailer, complete with wood rack on the back. A portable smoker.

Jeff:)

Jeff,
Post a picture of that homemade smoker please. I have been in the market for one myself but what I am looking for is something larger and they can cost several thousand dollars which i am not ready to part with yet. but I have a welder and can weld. your idea intrigues me and has got me thinking.

Garlicluvr October 20, 2010 07:49 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 637562)
Jeff,
Post a picture of that homemade smoker please. I have been in the market for one myself but what I am looking for is something larger and they can cost several thousand dollars which i am not ready to part with yet. but I have a welder and can weld. your idea intrigues me and has got me thinking.

You got it Ski, I will try to remember to bring in the camera tomorrow and get a few shots, will post here or in the projects thread.

Jeff:)

redneckplanter October 20, 2010 08:54 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
awesome posts ya'll.....

Ajla October 20, 2010 09:11 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 636780)
But I have already looked up the recipe--:)
Post yours,and I will make accordingly--I can get buckwheat flour here.
I love all these types foods , especially for winter.

They're noodles made with eight parts buckwheat and two parts wheat flour.
Traditionally eaten with cabbage, but I actually prefer them with chick peas, and some aromatic pepper ofcourse!

axhandle October 20, 2010 09:37 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garlicluvr (Post 637538)
Ax: Seperate firebox is the only way to go the previous one didnt have the seperate firebox or a very good damper/air grate so you lost half of your cooking surface.

The other plus is you can cook on top of the firebox with a cast iron skillet or dutch oven. Can even throw the percolator up there and have your joe. Wrap some taters in foil and toss them in the firebox bury in ash along the side.


The whole rig sits on an old dual axle boat trailer, complete with wood rack on the back. A portable smoker.

Jeff:)

A sideline, source of Revenue--Tax Free--:D

SIL bought a camper ,for $400, the running gear is very good, mentioned last Sunday, turn it into a rolling kitchen--it has a Swedish refrig, runs of of electricity or propane, external generator, sink, a stove that runs off of same---a light bulb comes on in his head--Daughter is a natural cook, (Inheritance-:)).

When growing up, there were the Rolling Stores, converted Schoolbuses, racks of produce, candy etc., but the essential stock was --common everyday essential items.They would pull up, blow the horn, and the neighbor hood always got a square deal for their money--

axhandle October 20, 2010 10:17 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 637668)
They're noodles made with eight parts buckwheat and two parts wheat flour.
Traditionally eaten with cabbage, my I actually prefer them with chick peas, and some aromatic pepper ofcourse!

Hmm--:) I have the proportions, and ingrediants down "Pat",is the cabbage on the side or mixed in?

I may be off on the spelling ,but Gulong, ??,--Pepper is the best--

Evening Repaste--G'Mothers Soup that She taught me,--I have to get a bigger bowl--otherwise I have to get up and get some more--It is inexplicable--:)

redneckplanter October 20, 2010 12:46 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
roll on ax
you mean goulash maybe?

axhandle October 20, 2010 06:50 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckplanter (Post 637968)
roll on ax
you mean goulash maybe?

Chuckle--I make that too--:D

skiracer October 20, 2010 07:41 PM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 638194)
Chuckle--I make that too--:D

hungarian goulash with sour cream and good hungarian hot paprika and dumplings.
I can see my dad's mom now rolling out the dough for those dumplings and the sauce was to die for. thick and creamy with big chunks of veal or beef and homemade wide noodles. she used to call me eddieboy but then everyone did. and i could get away with murder with her. anything i wanted. all the poor woman did was work. the best tobacco roller for premium cuban cigars in trenton, NJ. and when she wasnt rolling tobacco she was doing wash in that washing machine with the rollers up top, hand rolling dough for noodles, or cooking something and never ever heard her complain about a thing. had a smokehouse out back and you could get any kind of smoked meat you wanted. just take a knife out and slice off what you wanted. i miss those days, what happened to them and where did they go?

axhandle October 21, 2010 06:59 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 638226)
hungarian goulash with sour cream and good hungarian hot paprika and dumplings.
I can see my dad's mom now rolling out the dough for those dumplings and the sauce was to die for. thick and creamy with big chunks of veal or beef and homemade wide noodles. she used to call me eddieboy but then everyone did. and i could get away with murder with her. anything i wanted. all the poor woman did was work. the best tobacco roller for premium cuban cigars in trenton, NJ. and when she wasnt rolling tobacco she was doing wash in that washing machine with the rollers up top, hand rolling dough for noodles, or cooking something and never ever heard her complain about a thing. had a smokehouse out back and you could get any kind of smoked meat you wanted. just take a knife out and slice off what you wanted. i miss those days, what happened to them and where did they go?

Good days, weren't they Ski, one of my jobs in youth was running the wash thru the Squeezer, and I know you remember the little sprinklers they put in the top of a coke bottle to sprinkle the clothes down during ironing----interesting note on the cigar thing----

I certainly ,for one, miss those days.

axhandle October 21, 2010 07:03 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 638385)
Good days, weren't they Ski, one of my jobs in youth was running the wash thru the Squeezer, and I know you remember the little sprinklers they put in the top of a coke bottle to sprinkle the clothes down during ironing----interesting note on the cigar thing----

I certainly ,for one, miss those days.

P.S. Got a few chores this A.M., but along the lines of the smokehouse, will post a bit later,an "Econo Version" that almost anyone can make and have., it's interesting.

skiracer October 21, 2010 07:27 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 638385)
Good days, weren't they Ski, one of my jobs in youth was running the wash thru the Squeezer, and I know you remember the little sprinklers they put in the top of a coke bottle to sprinkle the clothes down during ironing----interesting note on the cigar thing----

I certainly ,for one, miss those days.

i would revert back to them in a heart beat if it were possible. she was an amazing woman who was at the center of the family on that side. trenton was a big tobacco town in the early part of the century up thru the 40's and 50's. my grandfather was a cigar smoker and my dad and his two brothers were also. they had a small grocery store and butcher shop with a smokehouse cold storage room out back and another room for drying tobacco. she would bring home fresh cuban tobacco leaves and dry them out and roll them herself for them. she was known as one of the better rollers in the city. she never stopped working and was always doing something for someone else and never herself. i think that was her satisfaction in life. she lived and was productive into her 90's. loved bingo.

Garlicluvr October 21, 2010 08:05 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 638392)
i would revert back to them in a heart beat if it were possible. she was an amazing woman who was at the center of the family on that side. trenton was a big tobacco town in the early part of the century up thru the 40's and 50's. my grandfather was a cigar smoker and my dad and his two brothers were also. they had a small grocery store and butcher shop with a smokehouse cold storage room out back and another room for drying tobacco. she would bring home fresh cuban tobacco leaves and dry them out and roll them herself for them. she was known as one of the better rollers in the city. she never stopped working and was always doing something for someone else and never herself. i think that was her satisfaction in life. she lived and was productive into her 90's. loved bingo.

Sounds like a Great Lady Ski. I too wish we could go back. My grandmother on my moms side was similiar always working, cooking, canning, baking, sewing, quilting, knitting. She was the seamstress for the little farm town they lived in. Everyone would come to her for alterations, or to have her make them a dress, pants, etc. She was always doing thing for others. She did charge for the sewing jobs and so brought in some extra income, but also did a lot for free. She was very active in the church taught sunday school and helped with all of the bake sales, bazars, etc.


My grandmother on my dads side had one of those ringer washers remenber helping run clothes through the ringer as a kid. She was also always working, helped my grandfather who was a finish carpenter on jobs and did all the washing, cooking, canning, gardening.

Jeff:)

Ajla October 21, 2010 08:38 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 638226)
hungarian goulash with sour cream and good hungarian hot paprika and dumplings.
I can see my dad's mom now rolling out the dough for those dumplings and the sauce was to die for. thick and creamy with big chunks of veal or beef and homemade wide noodles. she used to call me eddieboy but then everyone did. and i could get away with murder with her. anything i wanted. all the poor woman did was work. the best tobacco roller for premium cuban cigars in trenton, NJ. and when she wasnt rolling tobacco she was doing wash in that washing machine with the rollers up top, hand rolling dough for noodles, or cooking something and never ever heard her complain about a thing. had a smokehouse out back and you could get any kind of smoked meat you wanted. just take a knife out and slice off what you wanted. i miss those days, what happened to them and where did they go?

Goulash is something you by in tins here, and I always found it quite pleasant, until I went to Hungary and had the real stuff! I've never opened a tin since, so maybe I ought to try and make my own?

Ajla October 21, 2010 08:55 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by axhandle (Post 637771)
Hmm--:) I have the proportions, and ingrediants down "Pat",is the cabbage on the side or mixed in?

I may be off on the spelling ,but Gulong, ??,--Pepper is the best--

Evening Repaste--G'Mothers Soup that She taught me,--I have to get a bigger bowl--otherwise I have to get up and get some more--It is inexplicable--:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzoccheri

I don't know gulong, just peperoncino!
I prefer getting up twice to refill my bowl! :)

axhandle October 21, 2010 09:10 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiracer (Post 638392)
i would revert back to them in a heart beat if it were possible. she was an amazing woman who was at the center of the family on that side. trenton was a big tobacco town in the early part of the century up thru the 40's and 50's. my grandfather was a cigar smoker and my dad and his two brothers were also. they had a small grocery store and butcher shop with a smokehouse cold storage room out back and another room for drying tobacco. she would bring home fresh cuban tobacco leaves and dry them out and roll them herself for them. she was known as one of the better rollers in the city. she never stopped working and was always doing something for someone else and never herself. i think that was her satisfaction in life. she lived and was productive into her 90's. loved bingo.

"Always, something for someone else"---I relate--and am thankfull for the wisdom and time with "Baba" ( Grandmother)--she passed on her cooking to me, and many other things which have been lost in time, --or some choose to ignore--their loss, my gain--

axhandle October 21, 2010 09:12 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 638432)
Goulash is something you by in tins here, and I always found it quite pleasant, until I went to Hungary and had the real stuff! I've never opened a tin since, so maybe I ought to try and make my own?

Make Goulash ( No Tins), (with fresh Paprika) , and you will dance the Haiduk(Hadjuk)--;)

axhandle October 21, 2010 09:13 AM

Re: AX'S CORNER
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ajla (Post 638442)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzoccheri

I don't know gulong, just peperoncino!
I prefer getting up twice to refill my bowl! :)

Get a bigger bowl--:) saves energy--!!;):D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
★ IDigMyGarden™ is a trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2015 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★